Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2007, 02:53 AM   #1
BrokenShots
CF Newbie

Intake Manifold Question.

I was wondering how you can tell whether or not a carburetor will fit on a certain intake manifold. The one that I am looking at says "Use OEM 4 BBL Carburetor For Shaker Hood Clearance", but since there is clearance issues anyway I was wondering if I could still put my 2 BBL carburetor on it. Anyway, the car's a 76 Trans Am and the intake I was looking at it fourth from the top at this site if that helps.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...6&partid=1 09

As far as I can tell from looking on the internet, the issue is more whether or not a carburetor is the right size for the engine than the intake manifold.

Anyway, thanks in advance.
BrokenShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:40 AM   #2
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

you can't bolt your 2bbl carb to that w/o an adapter, but if even if you do get an adapter you're just throwing away money putting a stock 2bbl carb on an aftermarket intake designed for a 4bbl...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:42 PM   #3
BrokenShots
CF Newbie

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. I was thinking about converting to a 4bbl anyway and guess I'll do that instead of wasting money on an adapter, assuming I'm able to. One site I was reading said I may have to replace the fuel line, which I guess makes sense since the tube for it is metal. Can anyone confirm this and tell me how hard this would be to do?

Also, if doing this conversion isn't too difficult, I would appreciate carburetor buying advice. I figured I'ld go with this:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...9&brandid=4130
Unless, there's something else I'm missing.

Thanks again.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
What is this thing going on - a 455 cid , a 400 cid, a 350 cid or a 250 cid v-6? (the trans-am packages came with either a 400 cid 4bbl v-8 or a 455 cid 4 bbl v-8)

The reason I am asking is to you may want to talk with a performance parts dealer and verify the manifolds will move enough air with low pressure drop and to make sure the carb will move enough air. (the two should be matched ac closely as possible when purchasing parts. Many tuners use the formula (cid) x (max safe rpm or shift point) / 3456 x volumetric efficiency (stock engines without cam modifications run @ approx 80%-85%)

assuming our engine has had camshaft work done to increase its volumetric efficiency to approx 90% and the redline rpm is 6000 rpm, the carb size for a 350 engine is

350X6000/3456x0.90 = 546 thus a 600 cfm carb is what is needed.

if the car has a 455, then the carb size is

455x6000/3456x.9 = 789 cfm this an 800 cfm or 850 cfm carb is appropriate

is your math right? b/c i'm getting different numbers and i don't really know why...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
talon699
CF Newbie

Also has to make sure it`s a spread bore ,not a square bore carb for the manifold presented. Otherwise he will still need an adapter
talon699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead699
Also has to make sure it`s a spread bore ,not a square bore carb for the manifold presented. Otherwise he will still need an adapter
How does it feel to try to make yourself sound smart, and then do exactly the opposite? I figure you’re the guy to ask because you have a lot of experience doing so.

Both intakes on that web page that have the "Use OEM 4 BBL Carburetor For Shaker Hood Clearance" disclaimer (2156, 3756) have something in common… Something that makes you, once again, wrong (surprise, shock, amazement). Both of those manifolds have a dual bolt pattern flange that is made specifically to accept either a square bore or a spread bore carb. If your head wasn’t so firmly implanted up your ass you’d be able to tell just by looking at the pictures. As a matter of fact, the only manifolds on that page that that don’t have a dual pattern flange are the Torker II’s at the bottom.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Moron.

Have a nice day. Help us to have one too by shutting off your computer.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:16 AM   #7
talon699
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
How does it feel to try to make yourself sound smart, and then do exactly the opposite? I figure you’re the guy to ask because you have a lot of experience doing so.

Both intakes on that web page that have the "Use OEM 4 BBL Carburetor For Shaker Hood Clearance" disclaimer (2156, 3756) have something in common… Something that makes you, once again, wrong (surprise, shock, amazement). Both of those manifolds have a dual bolt pattern flange that is made specifically to accept either a square bore or a spread bore carb. If your head wasn’t so firmly implanted up your ass you’d be able to tell just by looking at the pictures. As a matter of fact, the only manifolds on that page that that don’t have a dual pattern flange are the Torker II’s at the bottom.

OEM is a spreadbore. twat! The fact that both manifolds will accept 2 different bolt patterns doesn`t mean a square bore will work correctly without a spacer/equalizer . Interesting that you had no input but just attacked me. Are we getting a little hostile? Maybe vw baby needs some more time out. Go play with your air cooled motors.
If you can`t say something good then don`t say anything at all.
And all this wealth of knowledge from ?????????:
By the way I like the way you changed my handle ........vw homo.
Maybe you should change your logo to Bone Head Inside.

Last edited by talon699 : 07-07-2007 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampon699
OEM is a spreadbore. twat! The fact that both manifolds will accept 2 different bolt patterns doesn`t mean a square bore will work correctly without a spacer/equalizer . Interesting that you had no input but just attacked me. Are we getting a little hostile? Maybe vw baby needs some more time out. Go play with your air cooled motors.
If you can`t say something good then don`t say anything at all.
And all this wealth of knowledge from ?????????:
By the way I like the way you changed my handle ........vw homo.
Maybe you should change your logo to Bone Head Inside.
No input? Can you read moron? The original question was;

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenShots
I was wondering how you can tell whether or not a carburetor will fit on a certain intake manifold. The one that I am looking at says "Use OEM 4 BBL Carburetor For Shaker Hood Clearance", but since there is clearance issues anyway I was wondering if I could still put my 2 BBL carburetor on it. Anyway, the car's a 76 Trans Am and the intake I was looking at it fourth from the top at this site if that helps...
How exactly did I not answer the question? Oh, wait a minute, I did. YOU are the jerkoff who gave the person incorrect information. Twice now. Good job, dumbass.

Do you have any idea what it means when someone says "both of those manifolds have a dual bolt pattern flange that is made specifically to accept either a square bore or a spread bore carb"? Apparently not. It means you can install either a square bore or spread bore carb, WITH NO ADAPTER. All Performers to the best of my knowledge and in my long expereince with them are made that way. Check with Edelbrock. Check with Jegs. Check with Summit. See what they have to say.

Better yet, come on over and I'll show you 50+ cars, including Pontiacs, that I have either done the install on (Performer/square bore), have worked on with that set-up or that I personally own. It's a very popular set-up around here, especially at the local dirt track.

You are and will continue to be a moron.

P.S. If you can find anywhere I said the OEM carb is not a spreadbore, I'll be happy to take everything back I've said about you and crown you "King of All Things Automotive". The problem is you can't, because I didn't. Every word you type makes you look stupider and stupider. Congratulations.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #9
talon699
CF Newbie

Quote:

Yes I see where you answered the question here!
Old 07-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
talon699
CF Newbie

Quote:
No input? Can you read moron? The original question was;

How exactly did I not answer the question? Oh, wait a minute, I did. YOU are the jerkoff who gave the person incorrect information. Twice now. Good job, dumbass.

Do you have any idea what it means when someone says "both of those manifolds have a dual bolt pattern flange that is made specifically to accept either a square bore or a spread bore carb"? Apparently not. It means you can install either a square bore or spread bore carb, WITH NO ADAPTER. All Performers to the best of my knowledge and in my long expereince with them are made that way. Check with Edelbrock. Check with Jegs. Check with Summit. See what they have to say.

Better yet, come on over and I'll show you 50+ cars, including Pontiacs, that I have either done the install on (Performer/square bore), have worked on with that set-up or that I personally own. It's a very popular set-up around here, especially at the local dirt track.

You are and will continue to be a moron.

P.S. If you can find anywhere I said the OEM carb is not a spreadbore, I'll be happy to take everything back I've said about you and crown you "King of All Things Automotive". The problem is you can't, because I didn't. Every word you type makes you look stupider and stupider. Congratulations.
And , oh yes you answered the question here as well. Sorry I can`t find anywhere you said that the oem is not a spread bore. In fact the only thing you seem to have said is to call me names and do what you do best . Slag people. Stick to standing at the dirt track with your other redneck brothers, and when you can borrow the teeth maybe you can talk like a human being. You see your original proplem was your constant critisism of other peoples answers, but you never offered a better one, you just cut down other peoples answers , that is your option . But we don`t need your smartarse comments on other people. But of course you will have to respond by calling me another equally bright and thoughtful handle, and accusing me of giving a wrong answer for the third or forth time , But of course you have given the right answer somewhere in this post. Why don`t you just get over it and grow up? If you can`t handle other peoples answers don`t read them. There are a lot of wrong answers out there but I don`t allways see VW HASBEEN jumping on them and giving them a piece of your infinite wisdom. Why is that homo?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:43 AM   #11
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

VWhobo...good to see you're still around kicking ass and taking names. I don't know where these know-nothing n00bs get off arguing with senior members.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:58 AM   #12
BrokenShots
CF Newbie

Well, it took me forever to find out what cid my engine was since I thought that I had to find the some numbers on the engine that were under the timing chain cover, but apparently I could just look at the VIN number. Anyway, I found out that it's a 355.

But I guess the main reason for this post would be to thank everyone for their help and advice. So, thanks. I really do appreciate it.