Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
little penguin
CF Newbie

would body repair cause engine problems?

Hi everyone,

I have a 2001 honda civic with mileage of 55,150. I take my car to the deal shop once every three months for regular check up. My car had never had any engine or transmission problems until I sent my car to Geico for hail damage repair. They repaired the hook, roof and sides and the trunk. I have to say they did a great work to the outside. But what drove me crazy is when I got my car back, I realized that my car's engine dies whenever I come to a stop or slow down. So I have to restart the engine everytime after I stop, which is making me mad. Also, if I start the engine and engage in the first gear, my car will shake quiet frequently (like once very 20sec), but the engine will not die. So far I have no problem restart the engine. I talked to geico regarding this, but they denied that they had done anything to the inside of the car. However, my car never had this problem before I took it to the geico repair shop and I have all the maintanence records with me. I am not happy with the way geico treated me, but I am going to take my car to the dealer to see what's wrong with it. I would like to get some advice on what might have happened while they were fixing my car and what's the problem right now with my car.

Thanks.
little penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Sounds like your idle is off. The car shutting off is the idle being thrown off, and the shaking is the idle falling but not to the point of a stall. Have them check the throttle body maybe there is some dirt or gunk stuck there.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by imadorker
Sounds like your idle is off. The car shutting off is the idle being thrown off, and the shaking is the idle falling but not to the point of a stall. Have them check the throttle body maybe there is some dirt or gunk stuck there.
Really? Are you sure Mr Wannabe Auto Repair Guy? Can you tell us what the body shop could do to the car that would cause the "idle" to go "off"? Oh, wait a minute. You're just a moron that wants to sound like you have a clue. You'd better try harder because you don't. Either that or get yourself a job as a pet monkey. You won't even need a mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by little penguin
Hi everyone,

I have a 2001 honda civic with mileage of 55,150. I take my car to the deal shop once every three months for regular check up. My car had never had any engine or transmission problems until I sent my car to Geico for hail damage repair. They repaired the hook, roof and sides and the trunk. I have to say they did a great work to the outside. But what drove me crazy is when I got my car back, I realized that my car's engine dies whenever I come to a stop or slow down. So I have to restart the engine everytime after I stop, which is making me mad. Also, if I start the engine and engage in the first gear, my car will shake quiet frequently (like once very 20sec), but the engine will not die. So far I have no problem restart the engine. I talked to geico regarding this, but they denied that they had done anything to the inside of the car. However, my car never had this problem before I took it to the geico repair shop and I have all the maintanence records with me. I am not happy with the way geico treated me, but I am going to take my car to the dealer to see what's wrong with it. I would like to get some advice on what might have happened while they were fixing my car and what's the problem right now with my car.

Thanks.
There are any number of things that could have been done by the body shop to cause the problem, and it could even be just a coincidence. Without knowing the extent of the repair or procedures used it could be anything from a ground wire left loose/not attached to a fried PCM because they failed isolate the car's electrical system before using their Uni-Spotter or MIG welder.

More information is needed for anyone to come up with an EWAG. You already know what our village idiot has to say.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
talon699
CF Newbie

And I noticed that yesterday the village IDIOT has been allowed to spew forth his wisdom again. You just cant say anything without being a jackass can you Hobo. If you don`t have an answer STFU. I was just getting used to not having to see your bashing of others. But I guess you kissed enough ass to let you back on. To bad.
talon699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon699
And I noticed that yesterday the village IDIOT has been allowed to spew forth his wisdom again. You just cant say anything without being a jackass can you Hobo. If you don`t have an answer STFU. I was just getting used to not having to see your bashing of others. But I guess you kissed enough ass to let you back on. To bad.
Hmmm, very interesting, but not at all surprising.

If you had the reading comprehension of the average watermelon, you would be able to see that my response contained not only potential causes, but also the request for additional information so that we may reach an educated conclusion. The main problem here is that you've never done anything educated in your entire pathetic life, so you have no point of reference to work from. So, based on the information provided, how about you isolate and explain to us the root cause of this person's anomaly? Can't do it? Why not asscheese, you expect me to?

Furthermore, what useful message did you bring to this threadÖ Or any thread you enter for that matter? The answer is absolutely none. Even hiding behind your keyboard itís clear as day to everyone that you are small and insignificant. Why donít you do us all a favor and go crawl back under your rock and stay there.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:24 PM   #6
ligeswho
CF Newbie

little penguin

You said you had hail repair done? Ok, that alone rules out any elect. welder damage to the computer. ( only a moron would need to arch weld a ding in a car) The 2 most logical answers would be A. a good amount of body filler dust got into your (allready dirty ) airfilter and is choking the car. OR B. they DID disconnect the battery for whatever reason and the computer is going through it's self re-learning process. It's usualy a bit bumpy and might stall but only for a short time. (1/2 hr or about 20 miles topp's) Since it's been a couple day's now ( if it's still running rough) Take a look at the air filter and if it's clean, Stop in at a reputable shop and tell them your story, they'll take it from there and if they feel it was related to the work done, Have them put it in the bill and geico should reimburse you (if you raise enough hell)

Good luck to you.

PS edited - profanity

Last edited by tbaxleyjr : 07-10-2007 at 01:46 AM.
ligeswho is offline   Reply With Quote