Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2005, 11:08 PM   #1
jimeverett
Banned

Does Anyone Here Know About Buying a Porsche?

I am thinking seriously about buying a Porsche - I can't really afford it , but I'm thinking of buying a Cayenne SUV. Does anyone have experience with a Porsche? Would you recommend them? (Any model or year - not just the one I am looking at)
jimeverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:36 AM   #2
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimeverett
I am thinking seriously about buying a Porsche - I can't really afford it , but I'm thinking of buying a Cayenne SUV. Does anyone have experience with a Porsche? Would you recommend them? (Any model or year - not just the one I am looking at)

If you cant afford why buy one? Do you like seeing vehicles get repoed?

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:11 AM   #3
DiabloSV
CF Newbie

Owned 6 of them. 4 of the 944's (one went over 300K miles), a boxster, and a 911.
Very reliable well built car.

But again...why buy if you can't afford it? Even with a warranty, it's still expensive to maintain....
Old 11-11-2005, 01:16 AM   #4
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloSV
Owned 6 of them. 4 of the 944's (one went over 300K miles).....
.........$20,000 repair bills and a mortgage later
Old 11-11-2005, 01:54 AM   #5
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimeverett
Umm... not gonna help you here. If you can afford a rich man's car and you arent a rich man, dont buy it.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:00 AM   #6
DiabloSV
CF Newbie

before you you buy...how about trying Porsche's Driving experience to see if you even like them...

it's better than test drive...you may find it's not right for you.

and look at TCO (total cost of ownership)....
Old 11-11-2005, 02:03 AM   #7
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

God, the Cayenne is the worst Porsche imo. A Porsche SUV, lame. If you want a Porsche, and are on a limited budget, get a 944 turbo. They sell for under 10k.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:59 AM   #8
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
God, the Cayenne is the worst Porsche imo. A Porsche SUV, lame. If you want a Porsche, and are on a limited budget, get a 944 turbo. They sell for under 10k.

For some reason I find nothing lame about a 450hp 460tq mid-size SUV that can go 165mph and handles better than some sports cars. Not to mention it's one of the only FEW good looking SUV's out on the road. Not to mention is a capable off-roader with almost 11" of ground clearance (Air ride suspension).

~Blow your mind~

Old 11-11-2005, 03:12 AM   #9
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
For some reason I find nothing lame about a 450hp 460tq mid-size SUV that can go 165mph and handles better than some sports cars. Not to mention it's one of the only FEW good looking SUV's out on the road. Not to mention is a capable off-roader with almost 11" of ground clearance (Air ride suspension).
They dont all have the 450 hp engine, thats the top of the line Turbo. The base one (still $45k ish) has 247 hp.

Edit: oops, I think the Base one is lower than that by a bit...

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:12 AM   #10
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
For some reason I find nothing lame about a 450hp 460tq mid-size SUV that can go 165mph and handles better than some sports cars.

I do

SUVs are lame, if you wanna haul people, get a minivan. If you want offroadability, get a Jeep Wrangler, or bigger a Hummer. If you want sport get a coupe or roadster.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:15 AM   #11
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
I do

SUVs are lame, if you wanna haul people, get a minivan. If you want offroadability, get a Jeep Wrangler, or bigger a Hummer. If you want sport get a coupe or roadster.

What if you want to haul people off-road, and then speed away from the cops?
Old 11-11-2005, 05:17 AM   #12
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
I do

Since when is it more economical and cheaper to buy a minivan, a hummer and a sports car rather than just getting an SUV that does all three? Plus you cant drive all three vehicles at once!

THAT'S why people would buy a Cayenne/Cayenne S.

~Blow your mind~

Old 11-11-2005, 09:19 AM   #13
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

I think Cayenne interiors feel very cheap, and I was quite dissapointed the first time I sat in one. The Carrera interior is much nicer, and feels more Porsche-like.

And yeah I think its lame that Porsche went into the SUV market, but don't get me started on that.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #14
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Since when is it more economical and cheaper to buy a minivan, a hummer and a sports car rather than just getting an SUV that does all three? Plus you cant drive all three vehicles at once!

THAT'S why people would buy a Cayenne/Cayenne S.

Lol! Very nicely put.

The fact is that people that buy Porsches often have other vehicles, too. Many have high end SUVs. Porsche rightly assumed that if htey were buying SUVs anyhow, why not make a Porsche one to sit next to the Porsche sports car in the driveway instead of an Escalade, Range Rover, or BMW. Or, if they couldn't justify a sports car as a only car or a family car, why not make a car they COULD justify, so that Porsche could still get THOSE buyers?

They worked with VW for economies of scale, but engineered the best utility vehicle they could, with the best onroad performance of any SUV while still retaining towing and offroad capability. It truly is the "Porsche of SUVs."

Porsche was looking at the market that already HAS a porsche, but buys a different brand for the daily driver/family car/tow vehicle. So they built an SUV with all teh engineering expertise of Porsche the sports car company. While still retaining much of what SUVs were supposed to be good at.

The average sports car, as a car, has some deficiencies which require you to have another vehicle to do many of the things you require a daily driver vehicle to do. Like carry more than a comfortable front passenger and a really scrunched up rear passenger. Having Porsche build both your fun car and the practical, all terrain, people and stuff carrier that it shares the driveway/garage with makes sense for those that have the money to do it.

I can see everyone's gripe if Porsche was replacing the 911 series with this, but that isn't the case. This is a Porsche that can do a lot of things that the regular 911 cannot do, while retaining a lot of what it can do. Being sold to those people of means that still cannot justify owning only a sports car, but want the same levels of quality engineering and ability.

And Pontiacfan, I HAVE a Range Rover SUV. A comfortable daily driver, good in all conditions, easy to carry everything we need (like 4x8 sheets of plywood and roofing supplies last weekend), comfortable for trips, more versatile and tows more than any minivan and more dialy driver friendly than a pickup truck.

The fact that you can't figure out why other people might want something you dont' proves how closed minded and inexperienced you really are.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:00 PM   #15
Benjin
CF Newbie

i'll get you a link to an ebook with all you need to know about buying a porsche