Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2007, 11:58 PM   #31
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
the X type and XK are available with manuals. the XJ has never had a manual going back to the Mk X/420 of the '60s, IIRC. Neither of my XJ6s were available with manuals back in the day.
I was sure I'd seen a manual box on an early 90s XJ6, so I done some research. The proof's in the pudding, as they say, lol. They're rare, but they're there.

Clicky for picy!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 08-30-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:42 AM   #32
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

Ya. I don't think Jaguar offers a manual in the US on any of its vehicles. Maybe it does and I don't know about it, but regardless the fact of the matter is they have gone away from a company that used to be much more into performance and racing.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #33
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I was sure I'd seen a manual box on an early 90s XJ6, so I done some research. The proof's in the pudding, as they say, lol. They're rare, but they're there.

yeah, and a few of the XJRs, as well. But the point was OLD jags, and most luxury jags over the decades have been automatic, going back to the very early ones of the '60s. the Mk V, MK VII, MK IX, Mk X 420, etc. And IIRC all of the V12 cars.

The XK, just like it's forebearers, is still available with a manual IIRC, just like the original XKE and XK 120/140/150. And, of course, the X type has been available with a manual since it was introduced.

Still for a luxury car, the automatic is a better bet. Kind of like my 7 series which was only available with a manual in the small engine versions in Europe.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #34
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudypoochris
Ya. I don't think Jaguar offers a manual in the US on any of its vehicles. Maybe it does and I don't know about it, but regardless the fact of the matter is they have gone away from a company that used to be much more into performance and racing.

back in the day, they only had one street model that was for racing, and that was the XK series (XK 120/140/150 and XKE). the rest of their cars were luxury sedans with decent pace. Did you forget about the fact that this is what Jag produced in the '50s?

And into the '60s:

And then in the '70s and '80s, this was their primary seller (my own XJ6):

Luxury cars were their bread and butter almost since the start...

www.midatlantic7s.com

Last edited by ChrisV : 08-30-2007 at 12:36 PM.
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:51 AM   #35
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

I didnt say they haven't sold alot of luxury cars. I said they are farther from racing now more than ever. Which is fact unless you consider their F1 effort something that materializes in their cars. Thats all. Yes alot of luxo jags have been automatics, but there has almost always been the option of a manual. I was just making a broad point about the direction jaguar has taken and I believe it to be true. They have always prided themselves in building the sportiest and most luxurious cars at a price.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:46 PM   #36
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
yeah, and a few of the XJRs, as well. But the point was OLD jags, and most luxury jags over the decades have been automatic, going back to the very early ones of the '60s. the Mk V, MK VII, MK IX, Mk X 420, etc. And IIRC all of the V12 cars.
Unless I read it wrong, you said "The XJ has never had a manual going back to the xxxxx of the 60s"....hence my response

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #37
varybarry
CF Newbie

I love Jaguars, because they have an exclusive feel to them. You don't see nearly as many Jags as Mercedes or BMW's. If I had the money I would most definitely buy one of them over any other luxury car.
varybarry is offline   Reply With Quote