Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2006, 12:37 AM   #1
Spade
CF Enthusiast

Muscle Car Restorations

I recently turned 16 (yes and i know your all thinking dumb teenager posting on my forum)...

Basically, im not into this whole Acura rsx or pimping out a civic =

I want real american muscle.

Im not that into driving fast beleive it or not. A 525 HP EFI Elanor engine can come once i start making real money.

I just love the look and feel of muscle cars.

I'm looking for quotes, but it doesnt seem im getting anywhere. Im operating on a minimum wage budget (7.40 in connecticut)...but willing to save every penny to put into a car.

So guys, what should i do?

Should i buy a new chevelle body (roughly 2,000) and put into it. Or what? I really need some expertise and oversight on this one, i dont want to do anything stupid/waste any cash.

Thanks
-ryan
Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:50 AM   #2
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

id have to say any muscle car made after 1973
third gen camaro/firebirds or el caminos or monte carlo,s or something like that

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:53 AM   #3
Spade
CF Enthusiast

How much would a restoration cost though?

And if i were to buy a chevelle body?

how much would i have to put into it to get it up and running?
Old 06-16-2006, 03:49 AM   #4
Benson
seeking snappy title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
id have to say any muscle car made after 1973
third gen camaro/firebirds or el caminos or monte carlo,s or something like that

Most cars after '71 aren't really considered muscle cars. Sure some of them still might have the body style, but a lot of the engines were detuned for emissions and had a lower compression ratio. Some cars and engines were discontinued once gas started to rise too.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:01 AM   #5
Benson
seeking snappy title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade
I recently turned 16 (yes and i know your all thinking dumb teenager posting on my forum)...

Basically, im not into this whole Acura rsx or pimping out a civic =

I want real american muscle.

Im not that into driving fast beleive it or not. A 525 HP EFI Elanor engine can come once i start making real money.

I just love the look and feel of muscle cars.

I'm looking for quotes, but it doesnt seem im getting anywhere. Im operating on a minimum wage budget (7.40 in connecticut)...but willing to save every penny to put into a car.

So guys, what should i do?

Should i buy a new chevelle body (roughly 2,000) and put into it. Or what? I really need some expertise and oversight on this one, i dont want to do anything stupid/waste any cash.

Thanks
-ryan

Quote:
How much would a restoration cost though?

And if i were to buy a chevelle body?

how much would i have to put into it to get it up and running?

Why are you stuck on a Chevelle body? Chevelles are a fairly popular car and you might not be able to find one in your price range. You might find a rolling body but since you are 16, you most likely won't have a lot of knowledge needed to finish the rest of the work - engine, trans, interior, body work. With the sky rocket of the muscle car scene a lot of cars have gone up dramatically in price. That being said don't get too discouraged, there still are lots of deals out there but chances are they are going to be more of a plain jane muscle car. To sum it all up you are going to need a bigger budget for sure just to get a car. Then to restore it, unless you can find a lot of deals and do all the labor yourself, you will need a few more grand.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:21 AM   #6
Spade
CF Enthusiast

yeah, thanks a lot!

I estimate that i can get roughly 6 grand a year.

What car should i look for?

Right now im considering Chevy Nova. Fairly cheap, with new paint and tinted windows you got yourself a pretty nice looking car.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Here's the rub. if you have to pay someone else to do it, a decent restoration can run upwards of $20-30k on a car that will be worth $8k done. Seen it happen many times. If you can do work yourself, you save money, and if you dont' want things perfect and can live with some of the parts being old for a while, you can save money. For example, doing all the rubber in a car (windows, doors, trunk edging, etc) can cost a grand or more. Interior work can be $2k or more. Paint work, for decent paint, can run upwards of $3-5k. There are ways of getting good results at, say, Maaco (search on that subject here. I've written huge posts on how to do it), but it requires some skill and effort on your part.

In your price range, look for less popular models. Yes, it costs as much to rebuild them as the more popular cars, but you can get a much nicer example to start with for vastly less money.

Also, in your area, rust is a serious issue. It'll be hard to find older stuff that hasn't already been seriously compromised. And cars that are in decent shape that can be had for $1500 on the west coast can cost over $8k in CT (seen that numerous times, too).

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson
Most cars after '71 aren't really considered muscle cars. Sure some of them still might have the body style, but a lot of the engines were detuned for emissions and had a lower compression ratio. Some cars and engines were discontinued once gas started to rise too.

thats actually why I said that, he said he didnt need something insanely fast right off the bat, and most of the cars around that time didnt make really big numbers,

I consider my car to be borderline musclecar, even though it was made in the late 80's and came with just over 155 hp from the 5.0 liter

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 01:37 AM   #9
Spade
CF Enthusiast

I know a very vague ammount about cars, im just getting into them. I know quite a few people who own garages though, and probably would teach me/do it for me free of charge. Pretty much my best friends entire family are car fanatics who literally put their entire lives into their wheels.

My friends dad would paint it for basically free if i supplied the paint. He's a good guy.

I want to try and finish the car in roughly 2-3 years, or atleast get it looking real good. Considering i just started working now, i could probably get 8-10 grand before then. Im looking for a car thats inbetween 3-4 grand. Im willing to work real hard to have a car i like. Everyone at school is like "just buy a civic!" But i want to work on my cars, make em nice. I dont want to spend the money on something that i will never actually enjoy driving in every day.

So i guess it would cost me about 6-8 grand in total? just for Exterior and Interior appearence?
Old 06-17-2006, 02:52 AM   #10
Benson
seeking snappy title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
I consider my car to be borderline musclecar, even though it was made in the late 80's and came with just over 155 hp from the 5.0 liter

Again.. But thats YOUR opinion of what a muscle car is.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:53 AM   #11
Spade
CF Enthusiast

Yeah, i was thinking the same thing benson

Last edited by Spade : 06-17-2006 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:59 AM   #12
skeetin870
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
uhhh, im not saying a civic is a muscle car. Im saying thats what everyone else thinks i should get.
No he was talking to somebody else not you.

skeetin870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:27 AM   #13
Spade
CF Enthusiast

yeah, no i was agreeing with him

You dont find too many muscle cars (outside of the 2005, 2006, and 2007) mustangs that have that muslce car feel.

1964-1971.

I consider most cars that were designed and manufactured during this timeframe to be muslce cars. Although there are a few outliers, it seems to be that this was the period in which American Muscle thrived.

Last edited by Spade : 06-17-2006 at 03:34 AM.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #14
daniel_driftman
CF Newbie

Talking

ya most of the best american musle cars r made then but u could get a good australian musle car 4 $1500 american and then there is the import fee
daniel_driftman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:52 PM   #15
Benson
seeking snappy title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_driftman
ya most of the best american musle cars r made then but u could get a good australian musle car 4 $1500 american and then there is the import fee

Oh yes that would be a great idea ship a car across the world over seas! I'm sure I could save loads of money!