Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
JORD88
CF Newbie

Smallblock-Bigblock

I was wondering at what cc's/ liters does a small block turn into a big block? I'm guessing that a 5.7 liter is where a bigblock starts but I dont really know.
JORD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JORD88
I was wondering at what cc's/ liters does a small block turn into a big block? I'm guessing that a 5.7 liter is where a bigblock starts but I dont really know.

it has nothing to do with displacement but engine design architecture. And for the most part it is really referring to Chevy V8 engines, in the two primary modern engine families.

The "small block" Chevy V8 started out at 265 cid, and went up to 400 cid/6.6 liters (but can be bored and stroked to higher displacements). The "big block" Chevy V8 started at 366 cid and went to 454 cid in street form and 502 cid in crate engine form (and can be bored and stroked larger yet). The two engine families overlap in displacement, but are of different designs that are fairly interchangeable within the family. Anything in the small block architecture is a small block even if the displacement is up to 427 or more cid (7 liters, like the new LS7), and anything in the big block architecture is a big block even if the displacement is as low as the original 366 cid.

As far as architecture, the differences are primarily in bore spacing, port layout, and valvetrain layout. All big blocks will use one set of architecture and all small blocks will use another, hared within the family regardless of actual displacement.

Ford and Dodge V8s use different family designations, but also have roughly big and small block families, with more variations. For example, the Ford small block family is more accurately termed the Windsor engine family after the location of the engine plant that built them. They range from 221 cid to 351 cid,but can be stroked to 427+ cid if you start with the 351W block which is 1 inch taller in deck height. there is a mid block design, called the Cleveland/Modified, which includes the 351C/351M/400M. With a bit of work you can use the heads from these engines on the Windsor blocks. the factory effectively did that with the BOSS 302 engine (which is not the same as the Aussie 302 Cleveland, which is a destroked 351C). Then there are two modern big block Ford engine architectures, which range in displacement from 331 to 460 cid in stock form.

Confused? Remember this: displacement is not the determining factor in what makes a big block or small block. Architecture is.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Chris hit the nail on the head.

Oh and Chris the 502 is apparently now the "small" big block, as GMPP released a 572.

Also the BBC has come in a 496ci factory motor, used in the newer chevrolet trucks and heavy duty suburbans. I do believe its a 8.1 liter.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:05 AM   #4
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

That was a really good write up Chris... Props
Old 07-24-2007, 04:38 AM   #5
JORD88
CF Newbie

Yeah thanks for the explantaion Chris, could'nt of been put better. Also, I'm just curious about as to whether or not it would be possilbe to fit a 5.4 liter engine that a Ford GT/ GT 500 uses in to an 89 Mustang GT. I'm asking this out of curiosity because I'm happy with the engine and even if I wanted to do an engine swap it would cost alot of money (I'm sure the 5.4 engines are very expensive and used ones would be hard to come by). I'm sure almost anything is possible if you have enough money but the question is how much customization would you need to fit a bigger engine?
JORD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JORD88
Yeah thanks for the explantaion Chris, could'nt of been put better. Also, I'm just curious about as to whether or not it would be possilbe to fit a 5.4 liter engine that a Ford GT/ GT 500 uses in to an 89 Mustang GT. I'm asking this out of curiosity because I'm happy with the engine and even if I wanted to do an engine swap it would cost alot of money (I'm sure the 5.4 engines are very expensive and used ones would be hard to come by). I'm sure almost anything is possible if you have enough money but the question is how much customization would you need to fit a bigger engine?

I dont think it would take to much.
Probably need motor mounts, a tranny thats strong enough, maybe a custom length driveshaft, the 5.4 ECU, the 5.4 accesories.
Off the top of my head I cant picture the Intake, it may be on the back, so you may have to do some custom CAI piping.

Just so you know though, the 5.4 isnt really an exotic motor its jut a mod motor and its roots are in the 5.4 truck motor.
If you couldnt find a GT500 motor you could get yourself a 5.4 Iron truck block for dirt cheap throw in some forged internals, and then find you some 4Valve heads for it (Mach 1 Heads, Early Cobra Heads, or Terminator heads maybe), get a supercharger off of a GT500 owner who has moved up or mayeb even a GT owner who upgraded it and then a few small parts like exhaust manifold and other parts and you'd be set.

Another option may be to build a 4.6 but I thnk the Iron block 4.6s may be a little harder to find, but they could both make great power.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:15 AM   #7
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

I'd suggest going for the 4.6L out of a Mustang GT, or possibly a S/C'd one out of the '04 Cobra.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:04 PM   #8
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

I strongly dont recommend a N/A 4.6 they are dogs and dont have much potental N/A. The 4V are slightly better but then parts get more expensive for small returns.

A S/C 4.6 would be good though