Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2007, 05:11 AM   #1
jeffdude30
CF Newbie

question...

i've got a '04 chevy malibu. problem is: the ignition will not turn with the key in. the steerin wheel is free and not locked. any ideas on what may be the problem, and how to fix? ive visited numerous websites & came across similar situations but nothing on how to remedy the problem? hmmm.....
jeffdude30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdude30
i've got a '04 chevy malibu. problem is: the ignition will not turn with the key in. the steerin wheel is free and not locked. any ideas on what may be the problem, and how to fix? ive visited numerous websites & came across similar situations but nothing on how to remedy the problem? hmmm.....
I'll move this to the R&M section as it'll be viewed by the right people there, even though this should be a fairly easy one!

I'd say it's either a worn key or a worn ignition barrel, I can't honestly see what else it could be. Do you have a spare key? If so, if this works ok you can elliminate the ignition barrel as the problem. If you don't have a spare, check the key in the door lock if possible, as this would help elliminate a worn key, too.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:56 PM   #3
thefonz
CF Addict

A key working in the door, but not the ignition, does not rule out a worn key. The Ign. cylinder has a side bar and the doors do not. Take your key to a locksmith. If it has alot of wear, he can code you out a new one to factory specs. May or may not be your problem, but your cheapest attempt.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz
A key working in the door, but not the ignition, does not rule out a worn key. The Ign. cylinder has a side bar and the doors do not. Take your key to a locksmith. If it has alot of wear, he can code you out a new one to factory specs. May or may not be your problem, but your cheapest attempt.
You've lost me. Surely a worn key in the ignition barrel would be a worn key in the door lock? Or not?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:25 PM   #5
thefonz
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
You've lost me. Surely a worn key in the ignition barrel would be a worn key in the door lock? Or not?

It is most likely a 10 cut GM key, The door and ign. does not carry all the cuts. I can't remember exactly, but the door is like 1through 7 and ign. 3 through 10. Plus with the ign. having a sidebar, the key needs to be more accurate. The tollerance is not as close in the door lock, so a worn key may still work.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:02 AM   #6
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz
It is most likely a 10 cut GM key, The door and ign. does not carry all the cuts. I can't remember exactly, but the door is like 1through 7 and ign. 3 through 10. Plus with the ign. having a sidebar, the key needs to be more accurate. The tollerance is not as close in the door lock, so a worn key may still work.

are you the keymaster?

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
thefonz
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
are you the keymaster?

Key master? No, I can't remember all the tumbler arrangements for all the cars, but I do know they don't have all the cuts in every lock, and the GM Ignition lock has a sidebar and the key needs to be very accurate to work in that lock.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #8
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

i'm just being a nerd and making a reference to ghostbusters...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote