Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2007, 08:33 AM   #1
Chthonian
CF Newbie

Engine Oil Low After Service

I've got a 2003 Monte Carlo SS. Changed the oil myself a few weeks ago. Two weeks later, had to get my rotors cut down. They were warped, causing the car to pulsate upon applying the brakes.

A week after I brought the car in to get the rotors fixed, I have my car light come on with the message, "Engine Oil Level Low." Could they have tried to screw me at the dealership I got my car from? I haven't noticed any leaks where I park my car, and I know I did things right. Does oil just disappear from the car over time? Could it be because of the heat?
Chthonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

A lot of cars burn oil. I go through about a 1/2 to 1 quart a month. Just refill it. I highly doubt the dealership had anything to do with it.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
A lot of cars burn oil. I go through about a 1/2 to 1 quart a month. Just refill it. I highly doubt the dealership had anything to do with it.
If he's burning oil to the extent that the warning lamp illuminates, after having changed the oil just a few weeks ago, he has a serious problem. Chances are it's merely a fault with the wiring going to the warning light or something, but I'd check the oil myself to make sure. If the level's alright, take the car to a Garage and have them check the wiring to the warning lamp. If it is low on oil, check for leaks. Regardless of the outcome at this stage, take it to a Garage to either have the leak sorted out, ot to have them check for signs of excessive oil burning.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 07-17-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:55 AM   #4
Chthonian
CF Newbie

It was low. I had to add oil to the car.

Not sure why it would do that, though.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chthonian
It was low. I had to add oil to the car.

Not sure why it would do that, though.
I suggest you have it checked out, as it would have to have been very low for the light to come on.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 07-18-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
Chthonian
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I suggest you have it checked out, as it would have to have been very low for the light to come on.

Yeah, I'll do that. What else could it be, aside from a leak though? 'cause, as I said, I've noticed no leaks.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Yeah, I'll do that. What else could it be, aside from a leak though? 'cause, as I said, I've noticed no leaks.
CARS BURN OIL. You won't see any leak from that.

How much oil was missing? Like Cliffy said, if it's a lot you may have a problem.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:36 PM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Yeah, but if he changed the oil a few weeks ago and the level was ok after he did so, and assuming the Garage who worked on his car was a good one and haven't sabatarged the car, it's clearly either leaking or burning an excessive amount because the warning light has come one, and for this to happen the level must be REALLY low. What I mean is, if the car is either leaking it or burning it, he has a problem. Have you noticed any smoke from the exhauset that seems unusual?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:51 PM   #9
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Yeah, but if he changed the oil a few weeks ago and the level was ok after he did so, and assuming the Garage who worked on his car was a good one and haven't sabatarged the car, it's clearly either leaking or burning an excessive amount because the warning light has come one, and for this to happen the level must be REALLY low. What I mean is, if the car is either leaking it or burning it, he has a problem.
My "CARS BURN OIL" comment was directed towards the original poster who couldn't seem to understand why he was losing oil but couldn't find a leak. I don't know when the low oil light comes on, but you're probably right in saying that it's losing excessive oil. On the other hand, if he checked the oil just after he filled it but before he ran the car, the filter wouldn't be full, so you could chalk 1/2 a quart or so up to that. Then if he didn't fill it all the way up to the top of the Xs, and add to that a "few weeks" which could actuall be a lot of miles on the car. I guess there are quite a few "what ifs" though.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:28 AM   #10
Chthonian
CF Newbie

Quote:

How much oil was missing? Like Cliffy said, if it's a lot you may have a problem.

The dip stick was basically dry. That's how low.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:51 AM   #11
Chthonian
CF Newbie

I think I found the issue - I had let my car idle for 2-3 hours a few nights over since I changed my oil. My uncle found that out and said that's likely why the oil was so low. He said when you're idling it burns off the oil. I dunno if it's true, but it coincides with my problem.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:42 AM   #12
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
I think I found the issue - I had let my car idle for 2-3 hours a few nights over since I changed my oil. My uncle found that out and said that's likely why the oil was so low. He said when you're idling it burns off the oil. I dunno if it's true, but it coincides with my problem.
Erm....Not true, unless I'm missing something here, lol. Even if it was true, you'd have to leave the car idling for about a week non-stop for it to burn that much oil!

Old 07-24-2007, 03:42 AM   #13
Chthonian
CF Newbie

Quote:
Erm....Not true, unless I'm missing something here, lol. Even if it was true, you'd have to leave the car idling for about a week non-stop for it to burn that much oil!

Odd. Oh well, guess I won't find out why.