Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
boothe
CF Addict

What could it be?

My old-ish 99 GMC Sonoma pick up is getting horrible gas mileage. It started having trouble after replacing the fuel pump and fuel line last fall. I got ripped off by the guy who did it so went to someone I trust more to fix the small leak and check everything out. 2 tanks later (three months later...I don't drive this truck all that much) I noticed that I was barely getting 10 mpg. I took it back to my mechanic and he did a full tune up and said to bring it back in after 2 tanks. MPG was fine after tank #1, a little worse after #2 and only 12 MPG on take #3. I'll take it back in next week but I want to know- does anyone have any idea what else could be wrong? It is summer so I have been running the AC more, but should that really make the mpg go down that much? Before last fall, the truck was getting 17-20 mpg.
boothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:54 AM   #2
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

My guess is either contaminants in the fuel line, bad wiring to the fuel pump,
or the wrong fuel pump or line..
Old 07-24-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
boothe
CF Addict

The second mechanic checked for problems like that but I guess I'll take it back again. I just haven't had time in the last few weeks to deal with it. It will need to go soon though to get the breaks checked so I can get this thing through inspection. Failed last week on the back breaks. I need to win the lotto or something so I can get a new car soon...
boothe is offline   Reply With Quote