Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
no-sweat
CF Newbie

Question Brake rotor replacement

So one of my rear brakes was making a noise and yadda-yadda. Long story short I ended up replacing both rear rotors and brake pads. After they were all done, the guy told me I should really get the front ones replaced too because they would wear the back ones down (making the $250 I just spent pointless). Is there any truth to this? I'm no expert but I examined all four rotors and I could visibly see the back ones were pretty bad which is why I only replaced them. Any advice?

And on a completely unrelated topic, is it true that using your air conditioning doesn't use more gas? My girlfriend said they did it on Mythbusters and they concluded using A/C does not use gas!

Thanks guys!!

p.s. I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT with front wheel drive... if that matters.

Last edited by no-sweat : 07-19-2007 at 10:26 PM.
no-sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-sweat
So one of my rear brakes was making a noise and yadda-yadda. Long story short I ended up replacing both rear rotors and brake pads. After they were all done, the guy told me I should really get the front ones replaced too because they would wear the back ones down (making the $250 I just spent pointless). Is there any truth to this? I'm no expert but I examined all four rotors and I could visibly see the back ones were pretty bad which is why I only replaced them. Any advice?

And on a completely unrelated topic, is it true that using your air conditioning doesn't use more gas? My girlfriend said they did it on Mythbusters and they concluded using A/C does not use gas!

Thanks guys!!

p.s. I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT with front wheel drive... if that matters.
I'm really confused by how somebody could think that slightly worn front discs could in some way wear the rear discs down....Unless I have missed the point here, and he's not a complete idiot. As for the A/C, I always thought it did use more fuel because the generator works off the engine so to speak....stands to reason really, although you wouldn't necessarily notice the difference in fuel consumption.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
no-sweat
CF Newbie

Yeah I couldn't quite figure it out myself, but I'm no car expert so I thought I may be missing something. Thanks for the reply!
Old 07-21-2007, 05:55 AM   #4
no-sweat
CF Newbie

Ok thanks for the lesson. But now I ask... we keep talking about AC on/off... but what about the level? I'm assuming if I have the AC on low it won't affect it as much as if it was on high? Or am I wrong, because the level you have it on is just the strength of the fan which won't matter?