Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2007, 06:13 AM   #1
kvny16r
CF Newbie

Tranny problems, '93 accord

Hello all,

Got a question about transmissions for you guys. My mom bought a used truck because the transmission in her old car (a '93 accord) is on its way out. It occasionally has trouble starting and when shifting out of park and into gear it sometimes fails to engage properly and the "D4" gear icon on the dash starts flashing signifying so. You then have to shift back out of gear to park, wait a few moments and try shifting into gear again. These problems started probably about a month and a few weeks ago and only occur every once in a while. The mechanic told us the transmission is on its way out and needs to be rebuilt witch is gonna cost at least $1100. We have also been looking at the possibility of buying a used tranny from a junkyard and having it installed which would probably be cheaper. Just wondering if anyone has experience with transmission issues and what the best course of action would be. Also, is there anyway to know how much more life is in this transmission and what are some things we can do to extend its life? I'm about to start college and money is tight right now Thanks.

Last edited by kvny16r : 07-22-2007 at 06:15 AM.
kvny16r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

I had an 89 prelude with tranny problems in the end of it's life. At first in the cold it wouldn't go to second. Later on it stopped going into gear on it's on as I would say. I had 1st and second and that was it. But to get to second I had to get to about 4k rpm and then let off the gas then the gear would switch. Then reverse went out. As for you I'd try to get it rebuilt cause you may not know how good of condition the tranny will be from a yard. $1100 seems super cheap. My gf just had her tranny rebuilt and it cost $3000 so be lucky it's not that much.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
kvny16r
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky2324
I had an 89 prelude with tranny problems in the end of it's life. At first in the cold it wouldn't go to second. Later on it stopped going into gear on it's on as I would say. I had 1st and second and that was it. But to get to second I had to get to about 4k rpm and then let off the gas then the gear would switch. Then reverse went out. As for you I'd try to get it rebuilt cause you may not know how good of condition the tranny will be from a yard. $1100 seems super cheap. My gf just had her tranny rebuilt and it cost $3000 so be lucky it's not that much.

Thanks for the reply. How does her car perform after the rebuild?
kvny16r is offline   Reply With Quote