Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
calvinnnnn
CF Newbie

HELP:starting from a complete stop in manual...

so today would be the 2nd day ive driven manual lol and ive got pretty much everything down (i wouldnt say mastered..) except when the light turns green...

ive searched for responses to this type of question and they all seem to tell me to start slow and find where the clutch connects. i dont know why but i cant seem to feel it lol..im stupid yes.. so questions i have are

-do i give it gas before i slowly release the clutch and about to what rpm should i get it to??
-all the other manual drivers i know get from stop to go pretty fast and i know its with practice and all but its damn annoying with a DHL driver honking at you while you start the car and start again...

lol sorry im a noob
calvinnnnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
calvinnnnn
CF Newbie

bumpbumpbump
Old 07-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
What
Banned

If I were teaching you, I'd make you do this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
I'll make you go into 1st gear without any throttle input. If you can master that, then you can do everything else.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Just go to a parking lot and have a friend with you and play a new version of green light/red light. That way theres no pressure. Just have him say green light and take off smoothly. You'll eventually find where that clutch is connecting and you'll be leaving the line quicker and quicker.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
calvinnnnn
CF Newbie

so once i find the clutch and the car slowly rolls forward thats where i gas it right?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:00 PM   #6
RB Trucking
CF Newbie

yes and to answer your question on how high you should rev it when taking off i usually try not to go over 1200rpm i like to take of at 1000 but in the begining it can be tough o ya when you feel the clutch grab start giving it more gas and release the clutch further this will make the takeoff process go alot quicker.
RB Trucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:47 AM   #7
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

I won't even get into using the clutch & gas combination when hauling heh. But yeah, the best place to learn is a parking lot...if you slowly release the clutch you should be able to feel it "grab" and start pulling...if you have a really shitty vehicle, it would likely stall if you don't feed it any gas at that point...So it's up to you, your footwork, and your car in the end.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote