Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
stevef1234
CF Newbie

Question Mitsubishi Diamate Dies at Idle - just replaced alternator

I recently went to my parking garage and found my battery dead in my car. I had it towed by AAA and was told my alternator was shot. I replaced the alternator and battery. When i went to pick up my car and got to the corner, it stalled out. i quickly put into park, restarted and it drove fine. i foudn that whenever idles in drive (its a Mitsubishi Diamante) (and an automatic) and i am stopped, the car stalled out. i brought it back to the mechanic and he looked at it today. Now when i picked it up the idle issue is gone however i noticed that the idle was adjusted and it just runs at a higher rpm. Now i am finding that the transmission feels like it slips when i slow down to almost a stop (slips from second to first - as if the engine is running at to many rpms and has to drop to first). I dont have any issue with car shifting upward in grears. Just before i pulled into the garage my Check Engine light just went out. i am going to bring the car back to the mechanic but i dont really trust everything they are saying. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

THe car is a 1997 Mitsubishi Diamante with 87,000 miles. Thanks

reading formums i saw that it could be the IAC, (Idle Air Control valve) possibly.....

another issue i have had for sometime is spongy brakes. Coulld these issues be related? loss of vacuum suction in car? bad alternator put into car? fan belt too tight restricting engine?
stevef1234 is offline   Reply With Quote