Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2007, 11:28 PM   #1
whicky1978
CF Newbie

Questions about drive belt and timing belt

I had some recall work done on my Hyundai Elantra, and of course they inspected other parts of the car.

Anyways, they tell me the timing belt is starting to crack, and if I don't have it replaced it could destroy the engine. They also suggested going ahead and fixing the drive belt. I declined the offer to fix it because it would cost $400. This seems a little high?

How much are these parts? Are they easy to replace? What does it typically cost?
whicky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

The timing belt should be changed every 60,000 miles or else it really could destroy your engine. The drive belt shouldn't cost that much though. I don't know how hard it is to replace on an Elantra, but $400 is too steep for that.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
The timing belt should be changed every 60,000 miles or else it really could destroy your engine. The drive belt shouldn't cost that much though. I don't know how hard it is to replace on an Elantra, but $400 is too steep for that.
I think he means the timing belt when he says drive belt...That's how I observed the post anyway. If that it the case, $400 is about right. If he means a drive belt, then $400 certainly is too much!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
whicky1978
CF Newbie

yeah, they wrote timing belt on the invoice.

This may help:

http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14645
Old 08-05-2007, 12:47 AM   #5
newyorker
MXman

A timing belt is like preventive maintenance, but you didnt say your milage. I have 113k on the car (belt checked at 110k miles as per the maintenance guide) and it still looks new so I didnt bother with it.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:33 AM   #6
whicky1978
CF Newbie

I have 115K miles, I've had the transmission replaced over a year ago, and they didn't say anything about the timing belt. I've had regular oil changes at Wal-Mart and Firestone but they didn't make any notes of it either. I'm going to save up some money and have some other parts replaced at the same time since I plan to keep my car for a while, such as the water pump, and the fuel pump (which has the fuel filter bilt in). I would also like to get the fluids flushed too. I plan to get a good bargain by paying cash.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
A timing belt is like preventive maintenance, but you didnt say your milage. I have 113k on the car (belt checked at 110k miles as per the maintenance guide) and it still looks new so I didnt bother with it.
That's a very dangerous game to play there newyorker! Just because the belt isn't all frayed and damaged, doesn't mean it isn't about to break! Any good garage should tell you that!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote