Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2007, 12:18 AM   #1
jackie65
CF Newbie

ford fiesta finesse

hi not sure if im in the right place apologies if im not. ive had my car (ford fiesta finesse x reg yr2000) for a month now and have noticed squealing which sounds like its coming from the rear. its not there all the time but when it starts it forgets to stop and its really loud. thought it was the brakes but its sqealing without using the brakes in fact sometimes braking stops the squealing for few secs. can anyone give advice to what may causing this and what i should do? any advice appreciated. would go to garage but am not very trusty with them as i know they can lie about what you need to get to make more money. no offense to those who are genuine but you do hear stories especially when it comes to women who know nothing about mechanics and i just happen to be 1 of them.
jackie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:14 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Does this just happen at random times?? Milage on the car?? Does it sound like its coming from the left, right, or center/
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie65
hi not sure if im in the right place apologies if im not. ive had my car (ford fiesta finesse x reg yr2000) for a month now and have noticed squealing which sounds like its coming from the rear. its not there all the time but when it starts it forgets to stop and its really loud. thought it was the brakes but its sqealing without using the brakes in fact sometimes braking stops the squealing for few secs. can anyone give advice to what may causing this and what i should do? any advice appreciated. would go to garage but am not very trusty with them as i know they can lie about what you need to get to make more money. no offense to those who are genuine but you do hear stories especially when it comes to women who know nothing about mechanics and i just happen to be 1 of them.
The fact that it stops sometimes when you brake, could mean that it's the brakes at fault. It's usually only the front brakes that this would happen with as these often have wear indicators and the sqealing is a warning to say that the pads are low. On the rear it may just mean they need cleaning, as brake dust would gather in the brake drums where it wouldn't if your car had rear discs. Other than the brakes, the only thing I can think of is a rear wheel bearing, as these can squeal sometimes. On your car the proper way to remove the rear drums is to undo the four 17mm bolts at the back. If at service intervals the drums were removed by undoing the large nut that holds the bearing etc in, it could reduce the longevity of the bearing's life. Not saying this would happen, but I'm guessing that's why Ford advises against removing the drums this way.

I'll move this to the Repairs section by the way!

Good Luck!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
CarMAD!
Banned

Could be something to do with the suspension like bushes wearing away, o and for the record i'm not one of those dodgy mechanics! just a honest one!
CarMAD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:50 AM   #5
jackie65
CF Newbie

Smile thanx

thanx guys for the info i'l look into it. lol i know theres some honest mechanics out there but few and far between. its where to find them lol.
jackie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
ateymura
CF Newbie

It's your brakes.. take your car for a brake job... if you are lucky enough.. you will need to change the brake pads only.

Last edited by ateymura : 08-07-2007 at 08:14 PM.
ateymura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateymura
It's your brakes.. take your car for a brake job... if you are lucky enough.. you will need to change the brake pads only.
Have you read any of the above?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote