Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2004, 02:55 AM   #1
redrum123
CF Newbie

ford mustang 65 *any good*

k, I saw this round the block. Keep in mind I know very little about cars, but this looks good. The dent comes with a free kit so i can fix it. It is 3,500. I could probably fix it up and stuff for projects, but I need to know if it is a good car, any one know?
Link (sorry bout low quality pix)- http://www.pbase.com/redrum123/inbox
redrum123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:13 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum123
k, I saw this round the block. Keep in mind I know very little about cars, but this looks good. The dent comes with a free kit so i can fix it. It is 3,500. I could probably fix it up and stuff for projects, but I need to know if it is a good car, any one know?
Link (sorry bout low quality pix)- http://www.pbase.com/redrum123/inbox
*moves to Classic cars*

It looks ok to me, however I cant tell what it's like mechanically (obviously)..a few dents shouldn't matter though, I mean, it looks free from rust from those pictures

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:21 AM   #3
redrum123
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
*moves to Classic cars*

It looks ok to me, however I cant tell what it's like mechanically (obviously)..a few dents shouldn't matter though, I mean, it looks free from rust from those pictures
What can you tell me about the car in general, like maintainence, performance? is it an ok first car?
Old 04-28-2004, 03:35 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
What can you tell me about the car in general, like maintainence, performance? is it an ok first car?
Well, I'm from the UK so I dont know too much about Mustangs (just that if I had the money I'd have one...IMHO the best ever Muscle car! ). I do know that they came with many engine options though, so at this stage I cant say wether or not it's fast. I know in the States that it's easier to own a car like that as a first car due to Fuel prices and insurance costs being lower than we have here. So, if ya feed me a bit more info, I might be able to help some more!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 04-28-2004, 04:09 AM   #5
redrum123
CF Newbie

just found out it is a 6-cylinder, 3 speed stick
Old 04-28-2004, 04:22 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
just found out it is a 6-cylinder, 3 speed stick
In that case I guess It'll be slow....cant beat the old V8's!

Old 04-28-2004, 04:31 AM   #7
redrum123
CF Newbie

But not so slow my granny would be found driving it??? lol.
Damn I need to find a cheap, cool looking, and fast car. guess itll never happen EDIT: and vintage style

Last edited by redrum123 : 04-28-2004 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:35 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Damn I need to find a cheap, cool looking, and fast car. guess itll never happen EDIT: and vintage style
Hey, there are hundreds of cars out there that wil meet your requirements, that Mustang wont be exessively slow.....just not very fast lol

Old 04-28-2004, 04:57 AM   #9
redrum123
CF Newbie

ok thanks man. Any suggestions for others cars? btw im still probably getting this, Id just like to know what other cars are out there that suit my tastes
Old 04-28-2004, 05:06 AM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
ok thanks man. Any suggestions for others cars? btw im still probably getting this, Id just like to know what other cars are out there that suit my tastes
What's your price limit?...as I said, I dont really know much about US cars.

Old 04-28-2004, 05:07 AM   #11
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
You found a cheap,cool looking,(needs paint) not at all fast,vintage car for $3500, just how fast do you need to go?
Old 04-28-2004, 02:43 PM   #12
CivilDisobediet
CF Newbie

Quote:

As was mentioned before, there are plenty of engine upgrade options available for Mustangs that would scare the tits off your grandmother. It all depends on how much work you want to set yourself up for. $3500 is a great price if the car is in good shape -- which is very hard to tell given only two photographs. The first photo shows signs of rust, I'm curious what the floors look like. If they're rusted out, you're looking at a lot of work. Then again, it's a California car, so you might get lucky.

The 6-cyls aren't very fast -- they usually come in a 200 cid block that puts out about 120 bhp. Taking a seat-of-the-pants guess, you're looking at an acceleration of 0-60 in, oh, 10 seconds or so. But if you throw in a 302 V8, you'll see numbers more like 6-7 seconds.
CivilDisobediet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:50 PM   #13
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilDisobediet
As was mentioned before, there are plenty of engine upgrade options available for Mustangs that would scare the tits off your grandmother. It all depends on how much work you want to set yourself up for. $3500 is a great price if the car is in good shape -- which is very hard to tell given only two photographs. The first photo shows signs of rust, I'm curious what the floors look like. If they're rusted out, you're looking at a lot of work. Then again, it's a California car, so you might get lucky.

The 6-cyls aren't very fast -- they usually come in a 200 cid block that puts out about 120 bhp. Taking a seat-of-the-pants guess, you're looking at an acceleration of 0-60 in, oh, 10 seconds or so. But if you throw in a 302 V8, you'll see numbers more like 6-7 seconds.

Man you are making me feel depressed. I almost bought a 302 '68 Mustang Coupe last spring. New brakes, rebuilt tranny and engine. It had just had a new paint job and the interior was completely redone. It wasn't as much in an original state, there were serveral mods done, ie glass packs the kind of stuff I prob would have done anyways to make the car fit me. The whole thing was selling for $6500. Damn I hate college and college tuition!!!
Voda48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 04:22 PM   #14
redrum123
CF Newbie

yeah, itll be my first car project. Once I learn more about mechanics of cars, Im gonna try to get v8 in that there hood. The interior is very nice. Any suggestions on any intewrnal parts I should upgrade?
Old 04-28-2004, 09:16 PM   #15
CivilDisobediet
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda48
I almost bought a 302 '68 Mustang Coupe last spring. New brakes, rebuilt tranny and engine. It had just had a new paint job and the interior was completely redone. ... The whole thing was selling for $6500.

That hurts just to read. I can't imagine your pain.

I don't know what the policy here is on linking to other car sites, but there's a couple of Mustang-only boards where you can find some good deals, ranging from non-rolling to fully restored. So, all is not lost.

(But damn... $6500... ARGH!)
CivilDisobediet is offline   Reply With Quote