Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Cranking issue??

Having a strange problem and this is the first time its happened. Went out to the car this morning, and it cranked (turned over) but didnt start. took out the key and tried again, no dice. tried the 3rd time and it started fine. Went to my mechanic and he said that if it happens again then its a problem, he said it could have just been a freak incident

car is a 2001 honda civic lx 5-speed non vtec 113.5k miles

Any ideas of things I should start checking??

I tried to pump the gas as it was cranking but it didnt help
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.


Last edited by newyorker : 08-09-2007 at 05:48 PM.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
ateymura
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 90
would do plenty good to your liver if you listened to you mechanic and didn't freak out just yet. if it happens again I would check the battery.. how old is it?
ateymura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateymura
would do plenty good to your liver if you listened to you mechanic and didn't freak out just yet. if it happens again I would check the battery.. how old is it?
No idea how old it is, but me and my grandpop checked the voltage and electrolyte density and everything came out good. (by electrolyte i mean we took the cover off and took the fluid from the each of the 6 cells into a special tube with little balls inside and everything was good.)

Im not at the freaking point quite yet, but I just want to start checking some things as soon as possible, so if there is a problem that it doesnt pop up when im miles from home and need a tow truck
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
thefonz
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateymura
would do plenty good to your liver if you listened to you mechanic and didn't freak out just yet. if it happens again I would check the battery.. how old is it?

If it is cranking fine in a no start condition, I would think the battery would be the last thing to check.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:05 AM   #5
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Turns out it was a bad terminal ring for the power wire going to the battery. all is fine now
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
ateymura
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz
If it is cranking fine in a no start condition, I would think the battery would be the last thing to check.

as you see you would think wrong
ateymura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
thefonz
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateymura
as you see you would think wrong


It was a wire, not the battery. Who's wrong now?
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:59 PM   #8
ateymura
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz
It was a wire, not the battery. Who's wrong now?

wire that connects your battery to the rest of your car...
ateymura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:01 AM   #9
thefonz
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateymura
wire that connects your battery to the rest of your car...


You are just proving your ignorance, quite well. It is not the battery, it is the wire. Why must you make it so hard? Too much for you to comprehend.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:42 AM   #10
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Wow, this is a smart group
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:39 AM   #11
thefonz
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
Wow, this is a smart group

Yep, proven on here on a daily basis. See, I can be sarcastic too.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:34 AM   #12
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Fonz, I havent seen you answer anything, just point out things you think are wrong with what other people are saying..you are the new hobo of CF
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #13
thefonz
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Fonz, I havent seen you answer anything, just point out things you think are wrong with what other people are saying..you are the new hobo of CF

Nope, just trying to politely tell people either their guess was wrong and why it didn't make sense.That can be a way of helping, so maybe in the future, it would help them. In the other case, that the answer was given. The guy was trying to be a smart ass. Besides, you are going by the last couple of posts I made. I try to help when I feel I can. (which isn't very often )
There is only one Hobo!
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #14
ateymura
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz
You are just proving your ignorance, quite well. It is not the battery, it is the wire. Why must you make it so hard? Too much for you to comprehend.

So you call me ignorant where apparently you have no clue of what you are talking about.
how would you tell the difference between bad battery, good contact(wire) and good battery, bad contact(wire) ????????????.. in both cases there is not enough current getting to the car... either it will crank but not produce good enough spark.. or it wont crank at all. And yes checking the battery does mean to check the voltage on it, clean the battery terminals off corosion and inspect the wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz
Nope, just trying to politely tell people either their guess was wrong and why it didn't make sense.That can be a way of helping, so maybe in the future, it would help them. In the other case, that the answer was given. The guy was trying to be a smart ass. Besides, you are going by the last couple of posts I made. I try to help when I feel I can. (which isn't very often )
There is only one Hobo!

well at least hobo knows what he is talking about...
ateymura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:39 PM   #15
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master
 
67Coronet383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Under a hood, Georgia
Posts: 628
lol these dumbasses on CF will never change...
__________________
67Coronet383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.