Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2007, 03:09 AM   #1
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Carbon Fiber and Carbon Kevlar

What is the difference between the 2? I cant find it anywhere, I was looking through password JDM site and they have the power chamber intakes along with other parts in carbon fiber and carbon kevlar.

Carbon Fiber


Carbon Kevlar
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Come on someone must know
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbyorker
What is the difference between the 2? I cant find it anywhere, I was looking through password JDM site and they have the power chamber intakes along with other parts in carbon fiber and carbon kevlar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbyorker
Come on someone must know
Of course there is, because I am here and I know everything.

The difference between "carbon fiber" and "carbon Kevlar" is very elementary. I'm surprised (no, not really) that someone who professes to know as much as you do can't find it in a text or engineering book (you know, those things with pages) or somewhere on the internet. I guess it would take effort on your part.

First the terminolgy. If all you bought was something made from carbon fiber, you'd have an item that is as limp as your little dick that looks pretty much like a piece of black burlap. Carbon fiber is nothing more than a thread made of carbon filiment. It's then woven to make carbon fiber cloth. To make parts and pieces it has to be laid out on a buck or form and then saturated/coated with either a liquid plastic (cheap stuff) or epoxy resin. (Note: that is not a how-to guide, it's much more involved, almost exactly like hand laying fiberglass.) After it sets up it's now properly called carbon fiber plastic composite or carbon fiber epoxy composite.

Now what's the difference between carbon fiber and carbon/Kevlar fiber? It should come as no surprise to anyone that carbon fiber is black because... Generally speaking carbon is black (yes, colored carbon fiber is available, but prohibitively expensive). However, because Kevlar is a 100% synthetic man-made product, it can be colored during manufacturing. Red, yellow, blue, hot pink like the g-string you wear for your boyfriend, it doesn't matter. I think it can even be made clear.

So look at the pictures. The "carbon fiber" item is black. Remember why? The "carbon Kevlar" item is black and gold. Why? Because the matting is woven from black carbon fiber and gold Kevlar. Simple. The funny thing is you could buy the same item made out of plastic and it would work just as well. It just wouldn't look as cool.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
I was told that for instance, CF hoods use metal and carbon kevlar to reinforce them because CF is weak. Also, what is "dry" carbon fiber?
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:45 AM   #5
Spanky2324
JDM LOL
 
Spanky2324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: El Sob, CA
Posts: 1,108
Weclome back Hobo
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by What
Civic (Performance?) Numbers from the fastest of the slow...Si

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:25 AM   #6
ateymura
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Of course there is, because I am here and I know everything.

The difference between "carbon fiber" and "carbon Kevlar" is very elementary. I'm surprised (no, not really) that someone who professes to know as much as you do can't find it in a text or engineering book (you know, those things with pages) or somewhere on the internet. I guess it would take effort on your part.

First the terminolgy. If all you bought was something made from carbon fiber, you'd have an item that is as limp as your little dick that looks pretty much like a piece of black burlap. Carbon fiber is nothing more than a thread made of carbon filiment. It's then woven to make carbon fiber cloth. To make parts and pieces it has to be laid out on a buck or form and then saturated/coated with either a liquid plastic (cheap stuff) or epoxy resin. (Note: that is not a how-to guide, it's much more involved, almost exactly like hand laying fiberglass.) After it sets up it's now properly called carbon fiber plastic composite or carbon fiber epoxy composite.

Now what's the difference between carbon fiber and carbon/Kevlar fiber? It should come as no surprise to anyone that carbon fiber is black because... Generally speaking carbon is black (yes, colored carbon fiber is available, but prohibitively expensive). However, because Kevlar is a 100% synthetic man-made product, it can be colored during manufacturing. Red, yellow, blue, hot pink like the g-string you wear for your boyfriend, it doesn't matter. I think it can even be made clear.

So look at the pictures. The "carbon fiber" item is black. Remember why? The "carbon Kevlar" item is black and gold. Why? Because the matting is woven from black carbon fiber and gold Kevlar. Simple. The funny thing is you could buy the same item made out of plastic and it would work just as well. It just wouldn't look as cool.

i am going to risk pissing off the all knowing hobo and say... you really didn't say what was the difference between the two... as of their properties and all.. even a goat could tell from the names that they are made of differen't stuff.. but i don't think the kid was asking what are they made off.. it sounded more like he was asking which one is better...
ateymura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:27 AM   #7
thefonz
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateymura
i am going to risk pissing off the all knowing hobo and say... you really didn't say what was the difference between the two... as of their properties and all.. even a goat could tell from the names that they are made of differen't stuff.. but i don't think the kid was asking what are they made off.. it sounded more like he was asking which one is better...

That was answered. Didn't you see it?
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:32 AM   #8
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
I wasnt asking which is better, I want to know the difference between the 2...noone has answered that yet
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #9
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
I wasnt asking which is better, I want to know the difference between the 2...noone has answered that yet
the name should tip you off to begin with.
the "fibre" refers to a structure, the "kevlar" refers to a material.

Carbon fibre is essentially a mesh of carbon (graphite) "fibres" or strings (usually woven to form the fabric mesh) in some sort of polymer (plastic) matrix. It is very light and very stiff (directionally). similar to fibreglass but with carbon instead of glass fibres.

The "carbon kevlar" is still a carbon fibre mesh in a matrix, but they add some kevlar fibres to add some strength. While being light and stiff, the carbon fibre isn't particularly strong. By adding some kevlar, you sacrifice some lightness (ie, it's heavier) but gain some strength.

You can get kevlar fibre too, but what you're talking about is a hybrid between the two.
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #10
ateymura
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz
That was answered. Didn't you see it?

Do I need to repeat myself?

or you feel like being an ass just because I said you were wrong in some other post?..

Last edited by ateymura : 08-13-2007 at 09:35 PM.
ateymura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:32 AM   #11
thefonz
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
Ok,
vwhobo's quote: The funny thing is you could buy the same item made out of plastic and it would work just as well. It just wouldn't look as cool.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:29 AM   #12
What
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Costa Nocha
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
What are you looking for - a common sense answer or a dissertation from a Chemistry PhD?

He wasn't really seeking an answer, he was pointing out that Hobo didn't say much besides describing the pictures and add sarcasm. The Fonz was doing what all cult members do: blindly follow. Windsonian answered the question.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #13
ateymura
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
What are you looking for - a common sense answer or a dissertation from a Chemistry PhD?

I personally think that windsonian's post is far more informative.. at least it describes some of the differencies of properties of the two.. weight, stiffness and strength...
ateymura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:56 PM   #14
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateymura
Do I need to repeat myself?

or you feel like being an ass just because I said you were wrong in some other post?..
Get the **** out of my thread...you are not answering anything.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #15
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz
Ok,
vwhobo's quote: The funny thing is you could buy the same item made out of plastic and it would work just as well. It just wouldn't look as cool.
Look one post up, and take the same advice. Get the **** out of here
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.