Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What type of Custom FIBERGLASS fabrication how-to would you like to see?
Acura NSX 3 21.43%
Porsche 911 10 71.43%
Enclosures 0 0%
Doorpanels 0 0%
Kickpanels 0 0%
Amp racks 0 0%
Dash modification for Audio/Video 0 0%
Consoles 0 0%
Materials & Tools of the trade 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2002, 05:21 PM   #1

Custom FIBERGLASSING How-to 's

For Custom FIBERGLASS How-to's post your questions and we will have the answer for you. For other AVI and photo How-to's visit us at: groups.yahoo.com/group/glassmanscustomforum
Old 05-06-2002, 12:57 AM   #2
RushHour0to60

RE: working with glass...

I've accually tried with not very much luck or good advice when working with "glass". Had taken the spare tire out and put a plexi glass panel and now that is where my amp resides. Wanting to shave the back seats in my '95 stealth for some extra room (and a place to put my spare) since they were un-useable anyway (not fit for a small child even). Tried creating a box/frame and covered it with nylon material and put a toatal of 10 coats of resin before I tried to sand. durring sanding, I failed miserabley and my "box" has sunken in (but was completely dry) and had cracked in various places. Any suggestions on what should help as far as "frame" material would help, thanks, RushHour
Old 05-06-2002, 02:50 AM   #3

Re: RE: working with glass...

You will need to tape an area with 3M Brnad masking tape that the sub enclosure woul reside in or around. Now wax the tape with turtle wax and lay a few layers of chop mat over this. Now let it dry. This is your foundation. Now cut out rings the size of your subs and angle them with 2x4's to the angle you desire and fasten them to the foundation you created earlier. Now when this is done strech 2 layers of trunk carpet (nonbacked trunk liner) over the whole thing and sprayglue it to the back of the project. Now you glass it again and this will be the enclsoure. This all may sound hard or you may not understand the technique in words so go to our How-to Group and forum and look through some of the How-to's until you find what you need to get you going in the right direction. If you still cant get it consider our How-to CD Rom...Glassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushHour0to60
I've accually tried with not very much luck or good advice when working with "glass". Had taken the spare tire out and put a plexi glass panel and now that is where my amp resides. Wanting to shave the back seats in my '95 stealth for some extra room (and a place to put my spare) since they were un-useable anyway (not fit for a small child even). Tried creating a box/frame and covered it with nylon material and put a toatal of 10 coats of resin before I tried to sand. durring sanding, I failed miserabley and my "box" has sunken in (but was completely dry) and had cracked in various places. Any suggestions on what should help as far as "frame" material would help, thanks, RushHour