Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
shadow
CF Newbie

96 talon engine swap

i got a 96 eagle talon esi and i wana drop a 01 eclipse gt 3.0 v6 engine into it...can it be done? of is it not compatible.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
i got a 96 eagle talon esi and i wana drop a 01 eclipse gt 3.0 v6 engine into it...can it be done? of is it not compatible.
why would u wana drop that motor in there? you have more possibility if you swap a tsi motor in
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:52 PM   #3
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
why would u wana drop that motor in there? you have more possibility if you swap a tsi motor in

If you don't know the answer, you should shut the f*ck up.

Yes, it is possible, but it would require significant trailblazing fabrication because this isn't a popular swap and there isn't a kit that'll guide you. Unless you have a donor 01 Eclipse and a shop full of tools, it'll cost you bunches of money because you'll need to swap more hardware than just the motor.

And don't listen to the dummies, swapping in a TSi motor is almost as inefficient. In either case it would be cheaper to sell your car and buy the whole car whose engine you're swapping for. Don't get caught up in the swap talk bullshit. It's only talk.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by What
If you don't know the answer, you should shut the f*ck up.

Yes, it is possible, but it would require significant trailblazing fabrication because this isn't a popular swap and there isn't a kit that'll guide you. Unless you have a donor 01 Eclipse and a shop full of tools, it'll cost you bunches of money because you'll need to swap more hardware than just the motor.

And don't listen to the dummies, swapping in a TSi motor is almost as inefficient. In either case it would be cheaper to sell your car and buy the whole car whose engine you're swapping for. Don't get caught up in the swap talk bullshit. It's only talk.
Why would you want that 6G72 in your car when you could have a 4G63T? The TSI and GSX motor is a better choice being that it's a smaller size and makes the same amount of power. Your best bet is to buy a TSI to get away from that swapping crap and see how much better a 4G63 will treat you.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky2324
Why would you want that 6G72 in your car when you could have a 4G63T? The TSI and GSX motor is a better choice being that it's a smaller size and makes the same amount of power. Your best bet is to buy a TSI to get away from that swapping crap and see how much better a 4G63 will treat you.

Why did you quote me?
Old 08-15-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Why did you quote me?
because you are gay
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:56 AM   #7
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Why did you quote me?
What sometimes I can agree with you, and sometimes I can't. Right now on this thread I cannot justify why you would swap a 6G72 motor into his car. When he would have to fabricate and do all this extra crap when he could just swap the 4G63 engine in and just make as much power. My ultimate solution would be for him to sell his car and buy a TSI or GSX and be happy with a 210hp awd car and not have to worry about those craptastic 3rd gen eclipses.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky2324
What sometimes I can agree with you, and sometimes I can't. Right now on this thread I cannot justify why you would swap a 6G72 motor into his car. When he would have to fabricate and do all this extra crap when he could just swap the 4G63 engine in and just make as much power. My ultimate solution would be for him to sell his car and buy a TSI or GSX and be happy with a 210hp awd car and not have to worry about those craptastic 3rd gen eclipses.
I don't know what the hell you were reading, but I'm pretty much in agreement with you. Swapping in a V6 from a 2001 Eclipse would be an ultimate waste of money...swapping in a 4G63 would be a waste of money to a lesser degree because the swap would cost less than a V6 swap but likely be more than buying a decent car factory equipped with a 4G63 engine. That was a summary of my summary of the situation...which is eerily similar to yours...but you don't agree with me.

Last edited by What : 08-16-2007 at 12:15 PM.