Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2007, 02:10 AM   #1
pballnitup
CF Newbie

Need Help On Car Decision!!!

Im looking to buy a car very soon and simpyl want to race and drift but not mainly for those reasons. I want a car that is RWD yet not under the year of 1993, and under 100,000 miles from the price range of 0-15,000 about. If you guys could give me soem good selections and places to find them I would greatly appreciate that
pballnitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:54 AM   #2
07exlv6
CF Enthusiast

wtf do u think this is, a used car lot?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:02 AM   #3
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07exlv6
wtf do u think this is, a used car lot?
whoa.... take it easy champ .... 35 posts up and you're making decisions about what people can and can't ask???

pball: where are you from ... no doubt there are websites advertising cars for sale near you.
I'd also have to wait on your response to give you any of my suggestions, because of currency / cost etc.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:19 AM   #4
07exlv6
CF Enthusiast

i wasnt making any decisions for anyone, the kid wants a car to "..race and drift..", "...under 1993 and under 100k mileage.."? and if you are not a mod or admin your post count doesnt make you different from anyone else since some newbs on here have more knowledge then seniority.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:10 AM   #5
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
i wasnt making any decisions for anyone, the kid wants a car to "..race and drift..", "...under 1993 and under 100k mileage.."? and if you are not a mod or admin your post count doesnt make you different from anyone else since some newbs on here have more knowledge then seniority.
ok... i'll ignore the post count, but not the rash assumptions.

"...racing and drifting" can both be done legally and safely. Did he say that he was going to do it illegally (and stupidly) on the road? Why are we always assuming the worst of people on this forum. Remember that these people who come and post on here for the first time haven't got the feel of the place, so they may not know the exact way to phrase a question to meet your "standards".

If you couldn't tell that "under 1993" meant later than 1993, then most of my reply will probably be lost on you anyway.

Yes... he's looking for a car... but I'll bet he's not looking for you to say "oh yes, I've got one you can buy".... more a case of what makes/models of cars are around that would be most likely to meet his specs. I'm sure there are a few people on here who have a bit of an idea about the American market (assumption on my part pending an unlikely reply from pball) and what sort of post '93 models with <100k are around for under $15k.

Even assuming you do have more knowledge than "seniority" .... what good is it if you can't pass it on. Do you really think a post like "wtf .. bla bla bla" is imparting knowlege, helping out, or even worthwhile?

[Edit]: And I didn't say you were making decisions FOR him, I said you were making them ABOUT him. You decided that he wasn't worth helping out. I assume from your reply to me that you decided that his "racing and drifting" wasn't going to be done legally. You decided that he was looking for all his answers on this forum, and not just a nod in the right direction, which is the distinct vibe I got from his post.

Last edited by windsonian : 08-27-2007 at 08:13 AM.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:38 AM   #6
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
"...racing and drifting" can both be done legally and safely. Did he say that he was going to do it illegally (and stupidly) on the road? Why are we always assuming the worst of people on this forum. Remember that these people who come and post on here for the first time haven't got the feel of the place, so they may not know the exact way to phrase a question to meet your "standards".

He's looking for someone to spoonfeed him information. You know this as well as anyone else. Don't be gullible.
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #7
07exlv6
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
ok... i'll ignore the post count, but not the rash assumptions.

If you couldn't tell that "under 1993" meant later than 1993, then most of my reply will probably be lost on you anyway.

Yes... he's looking for a car... but I'll bet he's not looking for you to say "oh yes, I've got one you can buy".... more a case of what makes/models of cars are around that would be most likely to meet his specs. I'm sure there are a few people on here who have a bit of an idea about the American market (assumption on my part pending an unlikely reply from pball) and what sort of post '93 models with <100k are around for under $15k.

Even assuming you do have more knowledge than "seniority" .... what good is it if you can't pass it on. Do you really think a post like "wtf .. bla bla bla" is imparting knowlege, helping out, or even worthwhile?

[Edit]: And I didn't say you were making decisions FOR him, I said you were making them ABOUT him. You decided that he wasn't worth helping out. I assume from your reply to me that you decided that his "racing and drifting" wasn't going to be done legally. You decided that he was looking for all his answers on this forum, and not just a nod in the right direction, which is the distinct vibe I got from his post.

Who the hell are you to judge me? Telling me what good am i? and insulting my intelligence?........sorry but unlike most of the kids on here im not going to prove something i donít care about, looking at your "write up" its obvious that you have a lot of time on your hands trying to argue about something stupid, i try to help people on this forum as much as i can and thats why im here, but ppl like this one who wants a decision made for him without any research first piss me off.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:17 AM   #8
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
He's looking for someone to spoonfeed him information. You know this as well as anyone else. Don't be gullible.
yes... but people who don't know a whole lot sometimes need to be steered in the right direction.

Recently I see a lot of people on here assuming that those people who come on asking for assistance actually already have the knowledge / resources to answer their own questions. He didn't ask for a decision, he asked for options.

Consider it the other way around. If you were in the market for a product you had no idea about, wouldn't you want some ideas about where to start from people who might have half a clue?

Quote:
sorry but unlike most of the kids on here im not going to prove something i donít care about, .
then why would you post something insulting and useless straight off the bat when you "don't care"?

Quote:
looking at your "write up" its obvious that you have a lot of time on your hands trying to argue about something stupid, i try to help people on this forum as much as i can and thats why im here.
It probably took me 5 minutes longer than your post, and was just as effective.... so I've got too much time on my hands, and yet you come out with a post that does nothing but insult someone and provides no help whatsoever... I thought you tried to help people on the forum.

Quote:
but ppl like this one who wants a decision made for him without any research first piss me off.
He never said he wanted a decision... he wanted "selections" or options. It's likely to be a starting point for further research. Isn't that kind of the idea of a forum in the first place. If I was looking for a product I knew nothing about, I'd probably do something similar. Then, once I had a few names thrown at me, I could go and investigate further.

Narrowing your search by using other people's knowledge as a resource actually IS research.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:20 AM   #9
struTTinTelloS
CF Newbie

Im not trying to be rude or anything but just try some difforent websites. Like cars.com, autotrader.com, and/or google it and see what comes up. Another thing you can do is go to the nearest store and put up some car mags (autotrader, all about cars, etc.) they are normally outside or right inside the door. Thats what i had to do and i promise you im not the first to do it either and it really helps when you look at your own time instead of a car lot type place.
By the way, be careful when your racing and drifting... but have fun and good luck with everything!
struTTinTelloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:33 PM   #10
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
yes... but people who don't know a whole lot sometimes need to be steered in the right direction.

Narrowing your search by using other people's knowledge as a resource actually IS research.

Ding! This is the PRIMARY function of forums like this...

Now, as to choices, not much out there that is RWD in that age range, price range and mileage range. Newer than '93 makes it Miatas, MR2s, Mustangs, and Camaros. And the odd 3 series BMW. Supras and RX7s are not good choices in this price range.

My personal recommendations are the Mustang, and the 3 series BMW, but for different reasons. The Mustang would make a good racer, and is easy to build power from. The BMW is a balanced car that would be different on the drift circuit.

I would also suggest hanging out on the race circuits you are interested in and see what works best. It may be that you have to save up more money to be competitive in those events. And please, don't be buying a car like this to be doing these things on the street...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:46 PM   #11
What
Banned

Quote:
...why would you post something insulting and useless...isn't the purpose of a forum to help?

...using other people's knowledge as a resource actually IS research.

I agree.

One of the key survival characteristics of humans is that they communicate and pass along their knowledge and experiences. Without this trait, we'd have no f*cking cars or forums. Let's keep the party going.

The energy that some of you waste bashing these one-post-wonders could be spent helping them, there friends, and possibly other lurkers of the forum...thus creating an information bank that could possibly limit new threads being made with similar questions...possibly. Either way, bashing/helping takes about the same energy.

But seriously, how else do some of you expect this person to find good help on this topic? They could have searched Google and found list of some RWD cars, but would they get all the information they need? Do you know how long and bothersome that process could be? And will Google give lagniappe opinions on the cars?

Well if the kid wants to know how good the vehicles are, he should go to forums specific to those vehicles. That could work, but do you think he'd get unbiased opinions there?

What about a published car magazine?
That could work too...but how much of their opinion is bought with an advertisement dollar?

The point is he/she should tap all resources possible. You all are a resource.

Well if we are resources, what are you?
THE source.

Last edited by What : 08-28-2007 at 06:46 PM.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #12
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

All that about being a resource and you still didn't answer the original question.

As for places to find the cars, once you've narrowed down your search to what kind of cars will work best in your chosen venue, autotrader, craigslist and even ebay are good sources of cars. I've personally had great luck with ebay. But then again, I research what I'm looking at, too.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #13
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
All that about being a resource and you still didn't answer the original question.
You're thinkin' small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by What
I am THE source.

I thought you answered the question well enough, I did not feel the need to add to it.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #14
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Bah

I understand the idea of some one asking a "THOUGHT OUT" logical question. Forsay:

Hi,
I'm interested in getting into to some amateur Drift racing circuits and was wondering if any of you have some valid opinions on efficient RWD drift cars. I have noticed (heres the indication of some general knowledge of the subject other than dumbass questions) that a lot of people drive Nissan 240SX's, Toyota Corollas, Mustangs, and RX-7's. I have a total budget of about $15,000. Are there any other RWD cars that would be good for drifting? Preferably something newer than 93. Thank you.

Now I know my eloquent vernacular is too much for the average "one-time poster" . I find it quite hard to believe that someone who has $15k would be not have researched ANY information (from a guaranteed credible source) on the subject before asking a complete group of strangers that you have NO source as to their credibility.

Just my thoughts on the subject. If someone comes here with a REAL question written up with REAL grammar and REAL English, then they would be taken REAL seriously. But spare me that hippie "I am the Source" crap.

The logical "sources" are out there. And they get paid to do it. Thats why people go to them FIRST. Become informed... and then inquire further for opinions.

If common sense were only true...

**EDIT** Just so I'm not a total condescending asshole. I'll resurrect this thread in order to possibly "assist" driftnut.

Import Buying Guide

Last edited by DSMer : 08-28-2007 at 09:22 PM.
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:46 PM   #15
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Bah

I understand the idea of some one asking a "THOUGHT OUT" logical question. Forsay:

Hi,
I'm interested in getting into to some amateur Drift racing circuits and was wondering if any of you have some valid opinions on efficient RWD drift cars. I have noticed (heres the indication of some general knowledge of the subject other than dumbass questions) that a lot of people drive Nissan 240SX's, Toyota Corollas, Mustangs, and RX-7's. I have a total budget of about $15,000. Are there any other RWD cars that would be good for drifting? Preferably something newer than 93. Thank you.

Now I know my eloquent vernacular is too much for the average "one-time poster" . I find it quite hard to believe that someone who has $15k would be not have researched ANY information (from a guaranteed credible source) on the subject before asking a complete group of strangers that you have NO source as to their credibility.

Just my thoughts on the subject. If someone comes here with a REAL question written up with REAL grammar and REAL English, then they would be taken REAL seriously. But spare me that hippie "I am the Source" crap.

The logical "sources" are out there. And they get paid to do it. Thats why people go to them FIRST. Become informed... and then inquire further for opinions.

If common sense were only true...

**EDIT** Just so I'm not a total condescending asshole. I'll resurrect this thread in order to possibly "assist" driftnut.

Import Buying Guide

But the whole point is: the research has to start somewhere. Why can't this be the place where the first inkling of an idea is planted? ChrisV pointed out some options, with limitations wrt price etc (which i could not do in the US market). Now he can go out and research these few options. Limits his time wasting .... wouldn't you say?

Why must these people know it all and write with perfect grammar before they post? He did not use terrible english. Mayb nt perfct but coulda bn worse, if u get my drift. And why must he know what cars he's looking for before he comes here and asks about what cars he's looking for? There ALWAYS has to be a first port of call.

Last edited by windsonian : 08-28-2007 at 11:52 PM.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote