Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
Jaywalkersw
CF Newbie

Low coolant light on 1996 Firebird T/A

I have a question about my LT1 and wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this. On my T/A WS6 the low coolant light has came on twice..the first time I checked the level and it was a little low so I added some coolant = light went out. I figured problem solved, but then about a week later while sitting in a drive thru the same light came back on. I drove home and checked the level and it was slightly low but not low enough to have prompted the light to come on. So I left the car in my garage and checked the level again in the morning and it was still above the Full Cold mark. I started the car and no light. Since then Ive driven almost another 200 miles with no light. Anybody know if this might be a sensor issue or perhaps a very very small leak in the coolant system?

More info to consider:
1) I have never observed any puddles, wet spots, or beads of fluid anywhere (ground, or on engine)
2) Even when the light was on, the car never got hotter than usual (staying around 180F + or -)

Right now I am going to keep an eye on it and if the fluid level drops again I am going to get some Stop Leak for the coolant system, but if the fluid level is fine and light comes on I am going to look at replacing the sensor. Thoughts or comments?

Last edited by Jaywalkersw : 08-27-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Jaywalkersw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Hows the engine temp?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Hows the engine temp?
If you want to participate in this forum, and you want to be taken even remotely seriously, I suggest you have your daddy pay for an operation to remove your head from your ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaywalkersw
2) Even when the light was on, the car never got hotter than usual (staying around 180F + or -)
I'm thinking it never got hotter than usual and stayed around 180F + or -.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Oh sorry about that I must have missed it.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:37 AM   #5
Holy Jerex212
CF Newbie

had the same problem in my 95 formula....low coolant sensor isnt really reliable sometimes and can be burnt out...replace it and it should be ok and its not difficult to do either
Holy Jerex212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Jaywalkersw
CF Newbie

Appreciate that. I got the same advice from the forums at <Link Removed> as well. The light hasn't came back on since the last time. If it does, I will try cleaning it first. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Cliffy : 08-28-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Jaywalkersw is offline   Reply With Quote