Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2007, 03:46 AM   #1
struTTinTelloS
CF Newbie

Gotta question...

This might sound kinda dumb but i got a question...
Well my car calls for premium gas but I use mid-grade. Although once a month I always put premium in just because it says I should use it and i personally think i should use it instead of mid-grade. Is it bad that I dont use premium gas 24/7?? Should I start using it all the time? But its not like I do major traveling or anything... What should I do or should I not even worry about it?
By the way, I drive a infiniti g35.

Thanks for all your help.
struTTinTelloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
edwards
Banned

I don't think you have to worry or anything, I think the different is only the octane rating. And as long as you don't use diesel thats okay.

Last edited by BavarianWheels : 04-01-2008 at 05:54 PM.
edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

You should be able to get away with mid-grade gasoline. Basically what octane is, is one of the many hydrocarbons in fuel that tries to prevent the fuel from detonating prior to spark, meaning it's detonating due to compression alone. A G35 has a compression ratio of 10.6:1, so engine knock shouldn't occur when using mid-grade fuel, especially if it's not extreme driving conditions. As well it should have a knock sensor, so it should prevent your engine from having problems.

Alternatively, you can look to certain manufacturers of fuel that have an ethanol blended fuel. A slightly higher ethanol blend can still be used in a normal engine, and also contains a higher octane rating. For example, here we have Husky/Mohawk gas, which is a 10% ethanol blended fuel, but the mid-grade is a 91 octane fuel, whereas other gasolines are only an 89 octane mid-grade.

In the end, just be wary of your engine performance. If it starts to seem sluggish and lacking in power, it may be the fact that you're only using mid-grade fuel.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote