Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2007, 04:04 AM   #1
mikolas
CF Newbie

Need help with car selection

So... I'm rather new to cars and know very little about them. I've just got my license and will be choosing between two cars. I would rather get a used car as my first, but my mother is insisting on getting a new car because I will be driving it in the snowy region of Buffalo and she wishes it to last longer so that my sister can use it in about 3-5 years. Based on those 3 factors, that one I am inexperienced, two I'll be using it in snow, three it will need to last long enough so that it won't break down on my sister, I'm not sure which car to pick.

The choices are 2007 Camry vs 2007 Altima.

From the research I've gathered or "general knowledge", the Camry is suppose to be far more reliable and longer lasting. The convenience package that it comes with seems far better then the altima's. But I've heard reports about some engine issues/ acceleration delay in the 2007 model. The 2007 altima however, seems more appealing with the keyless entry, CVT transmission, and from what I heard, a pretty powerful torque/horse power for a 4 cylinder car.

I ask you guys who are far more experienced and knowledgeable, which would you prefer if you had to pick between the two, and why?

P.S. Have any of you driven them and know the actual mpg of the two cars? From what I've seen, the numbers they give in the advertisements aren't accurate. Thanks!
mikolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
07exlv6
CF Enthusiast

I really think that these two cars are identical in almost every aspect, both come from "rich" families Camry has some Lexus traits to it, and Nissan obviously got a lot form infinity, I personally love the way the Camry looks but I would rather go with altima since Iím more into sporty feel where new Camry is pretty much all about luxury, these are my 2 cents without any research done so I think you should consider power, price, and looks cause they both got the reliability about which you donít have to worry when looking at these particular cars.

P.S. There is nothing better then a feedback from the actual owners, so what i would do if i was you is go to Edmunds.com look up the models and read some pros and cons that people posted and then you will get some idea about which one would it be for you
Old 08-24-2007, 04:23 AM   #3
mikolas
CF Newbie

Thanks for your advice, but can anybody else give me more feed back? I really want the Altima, but my mom (who is paying for much of it), dislikes Nissan due to her experiences with family car Nissan Quest way back (had many problems). Thus, I really need to find out about Altima reliability.
mikolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikolas
Thanks for your advice, but can anybody else give me more feed back? I really want the Altima, but my mom (who is paying for much of it), dislikes Nissan due to her experiences with family car Nissan Quest way back (had many problems). Thus, I really need to find out about Altima reliability.

If you want advice on a car from people who own one then go to Edmunds.com like he suggested. Don't come here and banter us with your bullshit about cars you may or may not want to buy. Especially after you have been informed on how to conclude your OWN research. If your mother is paying for most of the vehicle(which I'm assuming is 75%, if not more), then she has the final decision.

I sincerely wish questions like these would NOT be allowed. No one looking to buy a 20-30k vehicle comes to a forum asking advice from a bunch of people they don't know. Spare us your useless and meaningless bullshit. I know you may sound like you mean all and well but you don't...

If you seriously want the specs and information, then go the a f*cking dealership with your mom or visit a site of people who OWN Nissan Altimas. Do a simple google search for "Nissan Altima Enthusiast". I'm sure it will come up with several results. However since you're probably just like the rest of the 15 year old kids who wander their way here looking to make meaningless conversation about cars they wish they had, you won't look anywhere else. You'll expect us to spoon feed you the information.

How about you go back to your mommy and do what she wants you to do, because I'm positive she knows better than some 16 year old punk ass kid.

There is my solution to your problems.... and you don't even have to lift a finger you F*cking retard .
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:12 PM   #5
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

Wow...
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:00 PM   #6
struTTinTelloS
CF Newbie

I personally think that the Altima looks soo much better and it drives much smoother than the camry. When I was car shopping I drove pretty much every car to see what I liked and didnt like. But between the two, the Altima is deff. the better choice. Plus I drive my friends 2007 camry a lot because I am normally the person who drives her when she is waaaay out of her mind, haha. Anyway, I drive an Infiniti g35 so I get more than enough drive time for both and i think that you would be much more pleased with the Altima.
Hope that helps.
struTTinTelloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
varybarry
CF Newbie

I would go with the Altima if you can get your mom to go for it. I would do all of the begging and pleading I needed to get my hands on an Altima.
varybarry is offline   Reply With Quote