Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
cake872
CF Newbie

Lights.. The Cool Ones

Those lights that are not blinding but bright as hell and you see them on BMW's all the time. They have light a slight blue/purple tint to them. Well I'd like some really bright cool lookin lights for my 300zx. Does anyone no what the name of those bulbs are and maybe what brand i should get.
cake872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake872
Those lights that are not blinding but bright as hell and you see them on BMW's all the time. They have light a slight blue/purple tint to them. Well I'd like some really bright cool lookin lights for my 300zx. Does anyone no what the name of those bulbs are and maybe what brand i should get.
those are xenon bulbs, but they use a full HID kit, not just 30 dollar blue bulbs...get a McColouch or Philips or MTEC HID kit, 300 dollars well spent
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
cake872
CF Newbie

Yea I figured that out after I started shopping around. I saw a pair of HID bulbs for $100 bucks and seeing that I just spent a ton of money for my audio it was to much (even if I was loaded its kinda alot just for 2 bulbs). So I went with a pair of street glow xenon 100 watt bulbs. I no they wont look exactly like a BMW but they'll be bright as shit and shine nice throu my clear glass headlamp lenses. Thanks for the help still.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Yea I figured that out after I started shopping around. I saw a pair of HID bulbs for $100 bucks and seeing that I just spent a ton of money for my audio it was to much (even if I was loaded its kinda alot just for 2 bulbs). So I went with a pair of street glow xenon 100 watt bulbs. I no they wont look exactly like a BMW but they'll be bright as shit and shine nice throu my clear glass headlamp lenses. Thanks for the help still.
They might also burn your wiring harnesses lol. Thats why the high power kits usually come with a relay

Old 09-11-2007, 05:55 AM   #5
cake872
CF Newbie

Yea I was worried about that but my car goes with 9005 and 9006 bulbs and they have a good bit of plastic alread attach to the bulbs so the harness is not even that close to it. And also I hadn't much of a choice because where I ordered my bulbs from only have high temp harnesses for H4/9004/9007 lights. I no someone also with similar lights in an F150 and I dont believe that they changed the harnesses. So far its been A OK. Thanks again for the tips. FORUMS RULE
Old 09-11-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Yea I was worried about that but my car goes with 9005 and 9006 bulbs and they have a good bit of plastic alread attach to the bulbs so the harness is not even that close to it. And also I hadn't much of a choice because where I ordered my bulbs from only have high temp harnesses for H4/9004/9007 lights. I no someone also with similar lights in an F150 and I dont believe that they changed the harnesses. So far its been A OK. Thanks again for the tips. FORUMS RULE
Its not how far the harness is, its how much power is going through it...i know the wiring on my car stock is tiny as hell so I had to use a relay to not burn anything

Old 09-11-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
07exlv6
CF Enthusiast

the only way you can achieve the bmw look is if you spend 300 dollars on a ballasts with bulbs and retro to a "real" projector (bmw, audi, mercedes, acura etc), if you get just a pair of lightbulbs they are not going to do much for you but burn out sooner then oem
Old 09-12-2007, 12:55 AM   #8
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
hey looks like ur car uses the same types of bulbs as my integra... i am willing to sell my 5500k HID kit for $150.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:24 AM   #9
cake872
CF Newbie

Yea only thing is im all the way out in the Bahamas and already ordered my xenon lights. I didnt think about the wiring part but my wires appear to be about 16 guage or more so I think it should stand up to all the extra wattage.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:17 AM   #10
07exlv6
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Yea only thing is im all the way out in the Bahamas and already ordered my xenon lights. I didnt think about the wiring part but my wires appear to be about 16 guage or more so I think it should stand up to all the extra wattage.

higher gauge the thinner the wire is
Old 09-12-2007, 05:29 AM   #11
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
I hate when people call them xenon lights....because they are just xenon filled...or some shit

Old 09-12-2007, 06:21 AM   #12
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
I hate when people call them xenon lights....because they are just xenon filled...or some shit
huh?
do you hate when people call neon lights "neon lights"?
how about halogen lights
sodium lights
etc etc etc
Old 09-12-2007, 06:31 AM   #13
07exlv6
CF Enthusiast

Quote:

[electrical charge ignites Xenon gas contained in a sealed bulb] thats why they are called xenon lights, but what i do hate is all the cheap painted knock of bulbs they sell on ebay and call them hid xenon bulbs because they emit same hue of color even though they are 3 times darker then high intensity discharge light bulbs

real hid bulbs with real ignitors/ballasts:

Up to 3X the light output
Improved down-road illumination
Lower power consumption
up to 10X Longer life

painted bulbs (euro lights, nokya etc)

less light output then stock
2x less life then stock factory bulbs
waste of money and time

just thought i would clear it up
Old 09-12-2007, 12:22 PM   #14
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07exlv6
[electrical charge ignites Xenon gas contained in a sealed bulb] thats why they are called xenon lights, but what i do hate is all the cheap painted knock of bulbs they sell on ebay and call them hid xenon bulbs because they emit same hue of color even though they are 3 times darker then high intensity discharge light bulbs

real hid bulbs with real ignitors/ballasts:

Up to 3X the light output
Improved down-road illumination
Lower power consumption
up to 10X Longer life

painted bulbs (euro lights, nokya etc)

less light output then stock
2x less life then stock factory bulbs
waste of money and time

just thought i would clear it up
Pretty much my idea...my friend has them on his golf, and hes into all things "euro". He keeps saying how they are so nice and just as bright as HIDs, but for some reason at night, he seems to hit a lot of curbs and potholes cause he cant see where hes going worth a shit

Old 09-12-2007, 11:27 PM   #15
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Pretty much my idea...
so you "hated" something that you didn't even know about .... wow... your ignorance just seems to get better.