Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2007, 10:41 PM   #1
CF Newbie

'92 Chevy Lumina: repairing lighter fuse

'92 Chevy Lumina.
I want to repair my non working cigarette lighter, which has never worked since I have owned the car. I have located a fuse panel within the glove box. There are several removed fuse slots with the following names: TL1, TL2, ABS, FPMP.
The following are names that do have fuses, but I thought I would mention in case they are related to the lighter: ECM, 3355B, CLUST, STSY, HZD, PANEL.
Could any of those be the lighter? Would it hurt to try putting in a new fuse with the correct amperage to test it?
Any other suggestions to get my lighter working?

Thanks for reading.
6079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
jwpajak
CF Newbie

Lighter

For a lighter to work it needs 12 volts and a good ground.

A blown fuse (or a missing fuse) could certainly be your problem, but you will need to find out which fuse feeds that circuit. A wiring diagram for your vehicle would be most helpful. At the fuse you can check for 12 volts with a volt meter or a 12 volt light probe.

Common problems for this: a grounded wire ( which would blow the fuse) or a broken wire (or bad connection, rusted so no current is allowed to flow).

It is possible to have 12 volts to one side of the lighter, but no ground to the other. It needs a complete circuit.

If you have a grounded 12 volt wire blowing the fuse, the ground may be difficult to find. Sometimes its easier to replace the wire rather than find the ground (which may become intermittent as search for the ground).

good luck

Jwpajak

Last edited by jwpajak : 09-25-2007 at 09:16 PM.
jwpajak is offline   Reply With Quote