Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
MgsJester
CF Newbie

pros and cons of companies

I'm trying to learn more about cars. I heard Honda doesn't have much horsepower and torque..but I'm not sure. Can everyone tell me their favorite and the pros and cons of each?

Honda/Acura
Nissan/Infiniti
Toyota/Lexus
MgsJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgsJester
I'm trying to learn more about cars. I heard Honda doesn't have much horsepower and torque..but I'm not sure. Can everyone tell me their favorite and the pros and cons of each?

Honda/Acura
Nissan/Infiniti
Toyota/Lexus
Honda/Acura
Pro: High re-sale value.
Con: No cheap RWD vehicle, Acura branded vehicles aren't in the same realm of other "Luxury" brands...in my opinion

Toyota/Lexus
Pro: Meets needs of its target customers better than most other brands, good fuel economy, RWD luxury cars offered
Con: If you care about being different don't buy a Toyota, parts are expensive for its Lexus vehicles

Nissan/Infiniti

Pro: Great performance-per-dollar vehicles...especially the 350z
Con: New models look like their old models...i.e G35-G37 etc..., cheaper models too closely resemble more expensive models...i.e Altima Coupe-G37 Coupe

I could name many more things but I didn't want to dip too deep into my opinions.

------------------------
I don't have a favorite brand, I have favorite cars from each particular brand.

People shouldn't get angry at Honda or Toyota for not building torque monsters. That's not their thing. You want a torque monster, go buy a torque monster...from someone else.

I like Honda's 2-door cars except for the S2000.
The Toyota FJ-Cruiser is cool and their Camry in black is decent.
Of course I like the Lexus IS cars.

Nissan's 350z is hot, and all of Infiniti's cars are hot to me.

Last edited by What : 09-12-2007 at 09:58 PM.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

I agree with alot of the above. I have an old Nissan, but don't believe it reflects the current state of Nissan necessarily. Out of the 3 brands though, for a drivers car Nissan wins hands down. For an economy car, Honda. For being inconspicuous and just having something that gets you from A to B, Toyota.

Heres what I think about Toyota/Lexus:

Pro: Excellent build quality typically, very attractive IF you get the mega expensive models. If you get something like an ES or even the IS (its too square/aggresive and just doesn't compare looks wise to the 3 series, imho), your missing out. Pretty good reliability, but there are definate build flaws, so don't kid yourself into thinking there aren't.

Con: White good. They are boring. Also, Lexus parts are very expensive. There are actually a decent amount of things that do break even on "reliable cars" or things that weren't made properly on them as well. If not, your still stuck with the consumables which at a Lexus dealership is big money especially when tis an imported part. I'm not sure if this applies to other Japanese luxury makes though since I haven't owned them.

Also, they most certainly ARE NOT a drivers car. The Nissan is much better in this respect. Lexus offers manual transmissions on the lowest levels it offers only, and the vehicles just aren't setup to perform, in general. On paper they look peachy, in reality they aren't. First the electro nannys, then the HORRIBLE transmission (I'm talking about 1-2 seconds lag when you floor it on the freeway waiting for something to happen), they did improve the steering feel, but brake feel remains negligible. When I drive the Lexus and then compare it to the perception of the BMW or ride in my Uncles 6, I can instantly understand why the Lexus is an "almost" and why other luxury brands "made it". They are getting better though.

Toyota/Lexus really deals in averages. They look at surveys I am sure and they find what "most" people want and what "most" people like. Thats all fine, unless you want something a bit quirky, and different. If you want a manual transmission, if you don't want to be nagged to death by the safety systems, etc. They are just vanilla everywhere, nice vanilla yes, but vanilla none the less.

Sorry I went off on Toyota/Lexus, thats just what I am most familiar with since my parents have owned two and I daily drive them. I am in no way saying Lexus' are bad vehicles. Yes I wrote alot under con, but my parents own two, take that as an indication. The next vehicle MAY be an IS, but most likely will not, due to the afore mentioned issues.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
MgsJester
CF Newbie

Thanks guys for the opinions. Can more people comment please?
MgsJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
07exlv6
CF Enthusiast

my honda has enough torgue and hp for me lol