Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
magus57
CF Newbie

Info on Datsun 280ZX's?

I'm probably going to be buying a car soon, and I'd like to get a Datsun 280ZX, but I'd like to know what I should look for when buying one, and what I should fix/replace/watch out for when I've already bought one. I've already heard of problems with rust, but that isn't too much of an issue for me.

EDIT: And can anybody give me the name of this spoiler?:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/7AP1/50-1512G

It looks so cool, but I don't know what it's called, because it's not included with the body kit and it's not in the spoiler section of the store.

Last edited by magus57 : 09-12-2007 at 01:47 AM.
magus57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

That's the old F40 style wing for that car. I personally dont' like it, and it's not avaialble anymore. If you want one, however, you might be able to adapt teh fiberglass F40 wing for teh earlier Z car, here: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/50-1584

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
varybarry
CF Newbie

I would look for something else if you can. I've hear those old Datsun 280's come with a lot of problems.
varybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

Well, the EFI is very limiting upgrade wise. What are you planning on trying to do? Do you need to pass CA smog, or is that not an issue? Rust is an issue (I know you said it), so check the rocker area, under the battery tray, etc. Also make sure you got straight frame rails and no crash damage (obviously). For the early Z's jacking on the rails would bend them, not sure if that applies to the 280zx, but check it out none the less. Are you going turbo or N/A? These are cheap cars to repair when they do need repairing, but they are quite stout. The EFI is a let down though. The rest of the car is pretty well built, especially the engine.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:18 AM   #5
magus57
CF Newbie

I'm not planning to really do anything to the car except maybe a paint job, some body work, switching the mirrors to fender-mounted style, and some interior work. If I ever do performance work, then it'll probably be a new muffler or other small engine part to improve mileage/performance, but nothing big like a new engine or something. And I live in IL, so I don't think emissions would be a big problem. And I'd like to get the Turbo if I can get my hands on it, but I'd rather get a N/A if it was in better condition. And I'm definitely getting a manual one. And I'd like to get the newest 280ZX I can get.
magus57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:56 AM   #6
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

Well newest 280zx would be 1983. They are nice cars, I prefer the earlier ones but it should treat you well.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote