Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
cake872
CF Newbie

Lightbulb Racing Exhaust....?

Hey do you think their will be much of a diff between me removing the catilitic converters out of my exhaust pipes and buying a set of aftermarket racing pipes?
cake872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake872
Hey do you think their will be much of a diff between me removing the catilitic converters out of my exhaust pipes and buying a set of aftermarket racing pipes?
Depends on the motor, but should free up some power either way
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

It'll definitely free up some noise.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Free up some power, some noise, and maybe some smell. It's not uncommon for cars with the cats removed to smell like rotten eggs. A full exhaust (headers, catback, and whatever you plan on putting inbetween) will cost a lot of money for minimal gains. You may barely be able to feel the increase in power. Add in the pain in the ass it will be to get it inspected plus the guff you'll get from the cops too.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
Free up some power, some noise, and maybe some smell. It's not uncommon for cars with the cats removed to smell like rotten eggs. A full exhaust (headers, catback, and whatever you plan on putting inbetween) will cost a lot of money for minimal gains. You may barely be able to feel the increase in power. Add in the pain in the ass it will be to get it inspected plus the guff you'll get from the cops too.
well hes not in the us...if i remember hes in puerto rico or somewhere else like that so the laws may differ

Old 10-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
well hes not in the us...if i remember hes in puerto rico or somewhere else like that so the laws may differ
Yeah, but it would still draw attention, and make it seem more likely that he is involved in illegal street racing.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:44 PM   #7
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Yeah, but it would still draw attention, and make it seem more likely that he is involved in illegal street racing.
so does my side exhaust, and hid kit, and window tint, and lowered suspension...cops never pull me over, and unlike the 300, with my car they would need no effort to stop me even if i was dumb enough to run

Old 10-05-2007, 11:56 PM   #8
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Whether or not it's legal where he is isn't the whole story. A good setup can run over $1000, and he might gain 20hp. A lot of people do exhaust early in the modding stage because it makes the car more fun to drive, but for performance/dollar there are probably a few better alternatives at this point. This is assuming he means a full race exhaust (headers, midpipe, catback).

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:29 AM   #9
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:

Maybe for noise, but at least they'll be used to the bad smells.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:26 AM   #10
cake872
CF Newbie

Well I dont have headers but I do have a catback exhaust already. And if I just rip out the converters form my current exhaust that saves a bunch. So it would be that lil trick and jus to purchases the headers. and yes i live in the bahamas and it wouldnt be a prob at all. and no not any street racing as yet
cake872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #11
Integra_LS
CF Enthusiast

Exhaust may have minimal gains, but put engine work into your car with a stock exhaust and then you're f-in yourself. Exhaust is a very important part of the tuning equation. 20hp... That's a pretty good increase btw.

Laughs @ removing cat.

<Power to Weight>

Integra_LS - Member of the unofficial vwhobo fan
Integra_LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #12
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
From previous experiences, cats can smell of rotten eggs themselves, even more so if you have just been driving quite 'hard'. I've always looked at this as being the cats way of telling you that it hasn't got long left.....maybe.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:30 PM   #13
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake872
Well I dont have headers but I do have a catback exhaust already. And if I just rip out the converters form my current exhaust that saves a bunch. So it would be that lil trick and jus to purchases the headers. and yes i live in the bahamas and it wouldnt be a prob at all. and no not any street racing as yet
If you wana save money, take out the cats and grind out the insides..basically hollow them out, will give the same effect as a test pipe, and will cost nothing..dont forget to make a CEL Defouler look up how to make one its very easy. no cats smell like gasoline..i love it

Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 AM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
If you wana save money, take out the cats and grind out the insides..basically hollow them out, will give the same effect as a test pipe, and will cost nothing..dont forget to make a CEL Defouler look up how to make one its very easy. no cats smell like gasoline..i love it
If you mean just hollow out the cat and put it back on, minus the honeycomb inside, I done this on my 1996 Vauxhall Astra (not for a performance upgrade, but because it was breaking up anyway, and became restricted). And it made no difference at all to performance or even sound. It's also worth noting that the inside of a cat can be bad for your health...Kinda ironic really, lol.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:17 AM   #15
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
If you mean just hollow out the cat and put it back on, minus the honeycomb inside, I done this on my 1996 Vauxhall Astra (not for a performance upgrade, but because it was breaking up anyway, and became restricted). And it made no difference at all to performance or even sound. It's also worth noting that the inside of a cat can be bad for your health...Kinda ironic really, lol.
im talking about gutting the whole thing, including the honeycomb. My buddy did this on his s2000 and gained a noticable gain in power