Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2007, 11:29 PM   #1
Enthuzed
CF Newbie

Question Street racing

Hey guys

Just wondering what is out there in the way of organised race meets as opposed to racing on the street?

if you could email your knowledge to jbl59@student.canterbury.ac.nz I'd very much appreciate it!

Cheers
Enthuzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:32 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthuzed
Hey guys

Just wondering what is out there in the way of organised race meets as opposed to racing on the street?

if you could email your knowledge to jbl59@student.canterbury.ac.nz I'd very much appreciate it!

Cheers
No need to email our knowledge, we could share it with you here, afteral, that is what these places are all about. Sharing knowledge and stuff!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:45 PM   #3
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

I'm pretty sure this is illegal, but me and my buddies go out on Friday and Saturday nights and block off a two-lane rural road or two and then call in everyone else and race until the cops show.

Key thing is this...
Cops can't do anything to YOU if you're out of your car when they get there.
So make sure you have a police scanner.
SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:19 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
I'm pretty sure this is illegal, but me and my buddies go out on Friday and Saturday nights and block off a two-lane rural road or two and then call in everyone else and race until the cops show.

Key thing is this...
So make sure you have a police scanner.
All illegal as far as I can see, lol. I'll bet the cops can tear your cars apart though, in a bid to try and do you for some illegal mods or something, lol.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:43 AM   #5
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT

Key thing is this...
Not always true. Depends on your state, but you can be given a hefty ticket for just being at a race.

As far as legal races, if you want to drag, just talk to the local car guys and they'll tell you where the nearest strip is. Around here it's about $25 for a whole day where you're lucky to get 3 runs in. There are lots of AutoX events out there, ranging from SCCA solo events (beginner level, no risk of messing up your car, relatively cheap) to big track events that are risky for noob drivers and expensive. I'd check out SCCA.org. They run a LOT of solo II events every year, and they're great for beginners.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:00 AM   #6
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
All illegal as far as I can see, lol. I'll bet the cops can tear your cars apart though, in a bid to try and do you for some illegal mods or something, lol.
We've only had that happen once, and it was to this really cocky kid who was givin' the cops a LOT of shit. We all laughed at him.

Usually the cops won't show for a couple hours or so. Sometimes the whole night. They'll usually just be on patrol or something.
Thats the beauty of rural Kansas roads...NO HOUSING!!!
Old 03-09-2007, 05:02 AM   #7
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
Not always true. Depends on your state, but you can be given a hefty ticket for just being at a race.

As far as legal races, if you want to drag, just talk to the local car guys and they'll tell you where the nearest strip is. Around here it's about $25 for a whole day where you're lucky to get 3 runs in. There are lots of AutoX events out there, ranging from SCCA solo events (beginner level, no risk of messing up your car, relatively cheap) to big track events that are risky for noob drivers and expensive. I'd check out SCCA.org. They run a LOT of solo II events every year, and they're great for beginners.

Our local police won't give a ticket for just being at a race, but the state troopers, highway patrol, etc. will. Thats only happened once or twice, on a more well-traveled road before we found out about the rurals.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
crazi25
CF Newbie

Wink Paekakariki hill

if anyones keen on and interesting blat, paekakariki hill on the dot 12:45thursdays
crazi25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
homsuplo8
CF Newbie

Any one know what latest car kits are there?

I wanna get back into the scene and i was wondering what are the best kids of auto kits are out there? What are the more popular kits and what are the latest mods, like carbon fiber hoods or fenders? just wanted to know, thanks in advance
homsuplo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:23 PM   #10
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by homsuplo8
I wanna get back into the scene and i was wondering what are the best kids of auto kits are out there? What are the more popular kits and what are the latest mods, like carbon fiber hoods or fenders? just wanted to know, thanks in advance

Definitely carbon fiber. A carbon fiber hood will get your into the low 11's in the quarter. If you tint your tailights, you might run high 9's.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:27 PM   #11
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
Definitely carbon fiber. A carbon fiber hood will get your into the low 11's in the quarter. If you tint your taillights, you might run high 9's.
Yeah, but those are pointless without a park bench for a spoiler, because what good is a super fast car that can't turn?
Old 09-23-2007, 06:33 PM   #12
fudge
let's fighting love

The irish hold the road racing bike chapionships where the course is set on closed public roads, you might have heard of the North West 200 or the Isle of Mann TT race where bikes reach nearly 200mph with no room for error.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #13
samsmoot
CF Newbie

Birmingham U.K. Street Race

We used to have a Grand Prix circuit here in Birmingham back in the 80's. Seems the bug for high speed still exists, as boy racers continue to whizz round our city centre late on Saturday nights. Not very well organised, but everyone seems to enjoy themselves. No fatalities yet!
Old 09-24-2007, 12:01 AM   #14
fudge
let's fighting love

I was a bit too young to remember the races down at Brummy but it would be cool to see F3000 and touring cars race there again. And as for the cruising it's all over England, when I was going home from a day out at Birmingham I saw a load of cars parked by the lay by of the dual carriageway and I sorta knew they were some racing going on judging what was parked - shortly after an Evo, Impreza and Golf screamed by me!! Most town centres round here have a 'circuit' where the cruise happens.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:39 AM   #15
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Yeah, but those are pointless without a park bench for a spoiler, because what good is a super fast car that can't turn?
That's what aftermarket type-R badges are for. Preferably 12 of them.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote