Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2004, 12:04 AM   #1
HighWayMan
CF Newbie

T-Bird (I think) Ignition

The car is definitely an '88 3.6L V6 Thunderbird but has at some time had the engine replaced.

This engine matches the car in terms of hoses mechanical connections etc and is a 3.8 FI V6. But I want (need) to exchange the Ignition control module.

Well it ain't where my Haynes manual says it should be, clamped to that flat part on the distributor (the flat spot is!). and so far I've searched under the hood for any of the ignition modules ever used on thunderbird 3.8's as far as I know with no success, the coil Is there and it and the distributor look standard TFI IV.

Anyone got any suggestions where I might look?
HighWayMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 12:12 AM   #2
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Well it ain't where my Haynes manual says it should be, clamped to that flat part on the distributor (the flat spot is!).

How is it mounted to the distributor? Is it screwed in? Dunno what "clamped to" means... I'm just thinking it may be right.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 12:20 AM   #3
HighWayMan
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
How is it mounted to the distributor? Is it screwed in? Dunno what "clamped to" means... I'm just thinking it may be right.

The flat spot on the distributor is there but there's no ignition module connected to it, by screws clamps or anything else and no electrical connecters of the right type anywhere near it.

That's my point. I can't find the Ignition control module anywhere under the hood so far. Maybe the use of the phrase 'clamped to' was a little inaccurate but since there;'s nothing there, clamped or screwed to is what it's not
Old 04-30-2004, 01:33 AM   #4
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

If the car was retrofitted with a 3.8 V6, it may have a remote ignition module which is about 3 inch x 3 inch and bolted to the metal of one of the wheel wells or inner fenders.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d8014d32a.jsp
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 01:37 AM   #5
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
The flat spot on the distributor is there but there's no ignition module connected to it, by screws clamps or anything else and no electrical connecters of the right type anywhere near it.

That's my point. I can't find the Ignition control module anywhere under the hood so far. Maybe the use of the phrase 'clamped to' was a little inaccurate but since there;'s nothing there, clamped or screwed to is what it's not
Oops, sorry
Old 04-30-2004, 02:03 AM   #6
lectroid
0000?

??? Why can't you trace the wiring from the distributor to the module? not the plug wires. Don't understand.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:34 AM   #7
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
??? Why can't you trace the wiring from the distributor to the module? not the plug wires. Don't understand.

Cuz were not as smart as you, lol.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:26 PM   #8
HighWayMan
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid

Cause the wires from the distributor go to a single plug then disappear into a harness that goes back towards the firewall where it joins a bigger harness that seems to serve just about everything in the engine compartment. Same thing with the wires from the coil, which finish up in the same harness. I assume the ones from the module wherever it is do tha same thing!
Old 04-30-2004, 02:47 PM   #9
DodgeRida67
Banned

What exact distributor do you have in that engine?
Old 04-30-2004, 06:46 PM   #10
HighWayMan
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
What exact distributor do you have in that engine?

I'm not exactly sure how I tell, I don't recall any markings, Cerrtainly the '1' that's supposed to be on the cap by the 1 cylinder terminal (as per the Haynes book) is *not* there. But maybe a photo will help? I'll take one tonight and post it.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:47 PM   #11
lectroid
0000?

"scratchin butt, no I mean head" Well, if you don't want to remove the wire loom to trace the wiring, you can always go to a telco supplier and purchase a tone generator and a inductive amplified probe. The gererator will emit a 1khz tone on the wire(s) to which it is connected, the probe will identify the wire when the probe is placed on the insulation of the correct wire(s) to which the generator is connected. I WOULD disconnect battery and ECM.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:08 PM   #12
HighWayMan
CF Newbie

Which distributor

It looks exactly like the Cardone 302688 shown at:
http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDeta...=2 18&PTSet=A

If you look at that you'll see the flat place where the control module is supposed to be screwed on. but just like this picture mine has no module there. Suggesting to me that it is elsewhere and should look like on of the standard modules used on this car. Can I see it anywhere though? - Nope!
Old 04-30-2004, 07:35 PM   #13
DodgeRida67
Banned

Did you search the firewall? Look for a square box, maybe colorful, on the firewall...
Old 04-30-2004, 07:38 PM   #14
DodgeRida67
Banned

Maybe something on the firewall like what you see in the bottem left-hand corner of that picture.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:42 PM   #15
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Well it ain't where my Haynes manual says it should be, clamped to that flat part on the distributor (the flat spot is!). and so far I've searched under the hood for any of the ignition modules ever used on thunderbird 3.8's as far as I know with no success, the coil Is there and it and the distributor look standard TFI IV.

Theres a reason it's not there come to think of it. Ford had a recall for the modules because they got fried from the heat when mounted there. They even tried including an heat dispercing paste to put on the distributor in a failure of an attempt to stop the module mounted on the distributor from frying. I guess someone fried 2 or 3 like I have in the Crown Vic and got fed up and moved it. Or they stuck on a performance one like in that picture above and it's on the firewall or cleverly hidden from theives because it runs close too $300...