Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2007, 02:14 AM   #1
PeteZaHut
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 20
Trapping exhaust / global warming

With all the fuss about global warming, it got me thinking. Would it be that difficult to design some kind of bag or device that can be attached to exahust pipes on cars to collect the CO2, or whatever comes out of there. Then, storage facilities could be made where people can drop of their "gas bag". I know absolutely nothing about how a car works, so this is probably completely impossible or something. Let me know what you think.
PeteZaHut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:45 AM   #2
giant016
My mom says I'm cool
 
giant016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 1,274
If you literaly put a bag over your exhaust, your car would either stop running or pop the bag. When the bag is full (wouldn't take too long) no more exhaust can escape the engine, meaning no more air can come into the engine.

The idea of trapping the bad stuff from exhaust has already been thought of, research what a catalytic converter does.
__________________
Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:07 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
For the reasons Giant gave, it wouldn't work, but even more, cars only contribute 20% of the carbon dioxide emitted in the U.S. (keep in mind that the average fuel efficiency of cars in the U.S. is (one of?) the worst in the world). So it would almost definitely be less in most other countries.

I've got another question though, about global warming. To shut up all of the environmentalists, why don't we just give them some small piece of land where they can grow trees to get rid of carbon dioxide and feel good about themselves?
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:10 AM   #4
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZaHut
With all the fuss about global warming, it got me thinking. Would it be that difficult to design some kind of bag or device that can be attached to exahust pipes on cars to collect the CO2, or whatever comes out of there. Then, storage facilities could be made where people can drop of their "gas bag". I know absolutely nothing about how a car works, so this is probably completely impossible or something. Let me know what you think.



Hmmmm, not logical at all. The "bag" would fill up in a couple seconds and POP! Study up on autos and internal combustion engines first. You'll be trapping a lot of air with various chemicals in it.

People have already been thinking like you for years though, and this is why they designed something called a catalytic converter. Basically in a total NUT SHELL, it sits in the exhaust system and works by restricting exhaust gases to pass through a material (kinda chulky looking block inside the converter that has the same appearance as a window screen only with depth in the form of length) that has higher restriction, thus causing the exhaust gases to super heat thus burning off more of the toxins. Cat. temps run at very high temps and this helps to decrease the outputted gas' toxicity levels while at the same time keeping the exhaust system totally open and not subject to plugging up or being "back-logged." The end result of burning fossil fuel, ie. dead dinosaurs we call gasoline) in an internal combustion engine is Carbon Monoxide, however, you are able to mitigate that by
burning off more of the toxins.
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:40 AM   #5
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
Hmmmm, not logical at all. The "bag" would fill up in a couple seconds and POP! Study up on autos and internal combustion engines first. You'll be trapping a lot of air with various chemicals in it.

People have already been thinking like you for years though, and this is why they designed something called a catalytic converter. Basically in a total NUT SHELL, it sits in the exhaust system and works by restricting exhaust gases to pass through a material (kinda chulky looking block inside the converter that has the same appearance as a window screen only with depth in the form of length) that has higher restriction, thus causing the exhaust gases to super heat thus burning off more of the toxins. Cat. temps run at very high temps and this helps to decrease the outputted gas' toxicity levels while at the same time keeping the exhaust system totally open and not subject to plugging up or being "back-logged." The end result of burning fossil fuel, ie. dead dinosaurs we call gasoline) in an internal combustion engine is Carbon Monoxide, however, you are able to mitigate that by
burning off more of the toxins.

catalytic converters do not create heat from pressure, you retard.... actually hot rod magazine did a test of systems w/ and w/o cats and found the difference to be very minimal, contrary to popular belief.

the heat is created when the unburned chemical components in the exhaust react to the CATALYSTS that are bonded to the honeycomb...

read this before you attempt to wax intellectual again...

then read "B" through "D" in your sig and go flame yourself...
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #6
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
catalytic converters do not create heat from pressure, you retard.... actually hot rod magazine did a test of systems w/ and w/o cats and found the difference to be very minimal, contrary to popular belief.

the heat is created when the unburned chemical components in the exhaust react to the CATALYSTS that are bonded to the honeycomb...

read this before you attempt to wax intellectual again...

then read "B" through "D" in your sig and go flame yourself...


Hey Dodger, I have a big cock you can put your lips on and SUCK shit stick! Try that out!! My explaination is hence the "nutshell" explaination I was giving him. What ever happened to your philosophy in another post where you said that the average Joe on here does NOT NEED the intricate details. This Joe even told us he knows NOTHING about cars, so you think he knows about catalysts too!? Point being, what he's suggested exists in another form you stupid shit f_ck! So, one minute your going to answer posting in a drunken haze of your intelligence and the next you're a rocket scientist? LMAO! You're a piece of shi! Go kill yourself!

You're a f-n hypocrit and you can BLOW ME. Furthermore, there IS some heat created by the RESTRICTION created in the catalytic converter. Yes it is minimal. Any dumbass with have an education in chemistry and gas laws would know that. Perhaps I could have worded it better than I did, I will give you that, but I did not get into the catalyst because THAT is a lesson in CHEMISTRY and this Joe "does not need to know that." Or does he, I mean why don't you decide and let us know before you contradic yourself one more time???? You can stick a 12 guage up you asshole and pull the trigger asswipe, because you're worthless! I bet all you know is cars and you obviously have no formal education. You're a hypocrit now and I think it is hilarious because it is all in attempt to defame me? Is that the only way you can do it now, by pulling up every posting I type and find something that is not perfect? It must suck to have so LITTLE substance as a person! I only pointed your first posting out because it was BULLSHIT and read LIKE BULLSHIT! YOU are bullshit. Stick your head between your legs and take a shit dumbf_ck! The only reason you got offended to begin with is that it pisses you off that I am correct! F_CK YOU!
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:32 AM   #7
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
Hey Dodger, I have a big cock you can put your lips on and SUCK shit stick! Try that out!! My explaination is hence the "nutshell" explaination I was giving him. What ever happened to your philosophy in another post where you said that the average Joe on here does NOT NEED the intricate details. This Joe even told us he knows NOTHING about cars, so you think he knows about catalysts too!? Point being, what he's suggested exists in another form you stupid shit f_ck! So, one minute your going to answer posting in a drunken haze of your intelligence and the next you're a rocket scientist? LMAO! You're a piece of shi! Go kill yourself!

You're a f-n hypocrit and you can BLOW ME. Furthermore, there IS some heat created by the RESTRICTION created in the catalytic converter. Yes it is minimal. Any dumbass with have an education in chemistry and gas laws would know that. Perhaps I could have worded it better than I did, I will give you that, but I did not get into the catalyst because THAT is a lesson in CHEMISTRY and this Joe "does not need to know that." Or does he, I mean why don't you decide and let us know before you contradic yourself one more time???? You can stick a 12 guage up you asshole and pull the trigger asswipe, because you're worthless! I bet all you know is cars and you obviously have no formal education. You're a hypocrit now and I think it is hilarious because it is all in attempt to defame me? Is that the only way you can do it now, by pulling up every posting I type and find something that is not perfect? It must suck to have so LITTLE substance as a person! I only pointed your first posting out because it was BULLSHIT and read LIKE BULLSHIT! YOU are bullshit. Stick your head between your legs and take a shit dumbf_ck! The only reason you got offended to begin with is that it pisses you off that I am correct! F_CK YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
Hey Dodger, I have a big cock you can put your lips on and SUCK shit stick! Try that out!!

gonna pass, but thanks for offering... i don't swing that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
The only reason you got offended to begin with is that it pisses you off that I am correct! F_CK YOU!

no, no, no.... you aren't even close to being correct. you even contradict yourself in your own post. and contradict that again in the above post! how am i a "hypocrit"? my post was at least technically correct, if vague and possibly poorly worded. yours is complete misinformation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
...that has higher restriction, thus causing the exhaust gases to super heat thus burning off more of the toxins. Cat. temps run at very high temps and this helps to decrease the outputted gas' toxicity levels while at the same time keeping the exhaust system totally open and not subject to plugging up or being "back-logged."

if it has "higher restriction", how does it keep the exhaust "totally open"? especially if you're going to restrict it enough to increase the exhaust gas temp by at least 100 degrees by heat of compression alone? holy crap, dude. you are so stupid and misinformed it hurts.... tell me about the little leprechauns that move my wipers back and forth now...
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #8
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
if it has "higher restriction", how does it keep the exhaust "totally open"? especially if you're going to restrict it enough to increase the exhaust gas temp by at least 100 degrees by heat of compression alone? holy crap, dude. you are so stupid and misinformed it hurts.... tell me about the little leprechauns that move my wipers back and forth now...

Hmm, don't think I mentioned anything about physically plugging up the exhaust system to create the restriction to create heat! LOL! That is what "he" would have been doing by placing a bag over the end of the tailpipe. In fact, the statement I made was:

"that has higher restriction, thus causing the exhaust gases to super heat thus burning off more of the toxins. Cat. temps run at very high temps and this helps to decrease the outputted gas' toxicity levels while at the same time keeping the exhaust system totally open and not subject to plugging up or being "back-logged."

You’re 100% correct, that is not the true 100% modus operandi of a catalytic converter or how it works. I was more interested in showing him that what he was trying to do was already being done in a way that was not intrusive by a component of the exhaust system and if you asked him he would have probably gotten that point. Really, that is all I was looking for from it. Yes, my technical explanation was off, I have NO problem admitting that and my shortcomings. You have them too, just like the posting you wrote up when you had one foot in the grave. You can’t seem to do anything but make excuses for yourself whereas I can say I was wrong. After all though, aren’t we talking about “JOE NOT IN THE KNOW” when it comes to cars?

There is, however, some restriction caused by the catalytic converter, yes. Why do you think that some people remove them, thus changing backpressure and not always for the greater good? There is nothing incorrect about that statement. Yes, my info was technically off kilter but what makes you think he cares about catalysts and chemical reactions so much. Oh wait, he does not, YOU just care about trying to paint me as an idiot because I jumped all over you when you posted something less than stellar. So sorry, keep firing, I’m reloading too!
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:52 AM   #9
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
Hmm, don't think I mentioned anything about physically plugging up the exhaust system to create the restriction to create heat! LOL! That is what "he" would have been doing by placing a bag over the end of the tailpipe. In fact, the statement I made was:

"that has higher restriction, thus causing the exhaust gases to super heat thus burning off more of the toxins. Cat. temps run at very high temps and this helps to decrease the outputted gas' toxicity levels while at the same time keeping the exhaust system totally open and not subject to plugging up or being "back-logged."

You’re 100% correct, that is not the true 100% modus operandi of a catalytic converter or how it works. I was more interested in showing him that what he was trying to do was already being done in a way that was not intrusive by a component of the exhaust system and if you asked him he would have probably gotten that point. Really, that is all I was looking for from it. Yes, my technical explanation was off, I have NO problem admitting that and my shortcomings. You have them too, just like the posting you wrote up when you had one foot in the grave. You can’t seem to do anything but make excuses for yourself whereas I can say I was wrong. After all though, aren’t we talking about “JOE NOT IN THE KNOW” when it comes to cars?

There is, however, some restriction caused by the catalytic converter, yes. Why do you think that some people remove them, thus changing backpressure and not always for the greater good? There is nothing incorrect about that statement. Yes, my info was technically off kilter but what makes you think he cares about catalysts and chemical reactions so much. Oh wait, he does not, YOU just care about trying to paint me as an idiot because I jumped all over you when you posted something less than stellar. So sorry, keep firing, I’m reloading too!

it's just a damned shame you're shooting blanks...

you don't even know now how incorrect you are. do you know how much pressure you're going to have to add to "superheat" the exhaust as much you say that the converter does? that's what you claim makes it work! it will cause a definite restriction, or at least more than you think it will create... and don't use a word unless you know what it means. learn what superheat means and then... just shut up, i suppose...

you keep saying i was wrong in my OP. tell me where i related incorrect information (also known as being wrong) the "foot in the grave" thing isn't an excuse after the fact--it was referred to in my OP to explain my lack of verbal finesse at the time...
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"


Last edited by dodger65 : 10-04-2007 at 12:57 AM.
dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:14 AM   #10
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
it's just a damned shame you're shooting blanks...

you don't even know now how incorrect you are. do you know how much pressure you're going to have to add to "superheat" the exhaust as much you say that the converter does? that's what you claim makes it work! it will cause a definite restriction, or at least more than you think it will create... and don't use a word unless you know what it means. learn what superheat means and then... just shut up, i suppose...

you keep saying i was wrong in my OP. tell me where i related incorrect information (also known as being wrong) the "foot in the grave" thing isn't an excuse after the fact--it was referred to in my OP to explain my lack of verbal finesse at the time...

Well, I really refuse to go over this again, here's why: I am not understanding WHAT you don't understand about my two statements:

"You’re 100% correct, that is not the true 100% modus operandi of a catalytic converter or how it works."
"Yes, my technical explanation was off, I have NO problem admitting that and my shortcomings."

...and here you are CONTINUING to tell me I am trying to tell you that the cat. works by superheating the exhaust gases and how wrong I am? I guess you've missed the bus. I have long ago confessed that the way I described it was W-R-O-N-G. So, to continue to tell me "how wrong I am"....is a moot point. We've been there, done that, and it's over. I know exactly how a catalytic converter works. I have all along. I made a mistake like you did when you were "tired." So, I guess we could call ourselves even then?
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:26 AM   #11
cankles4me
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2
Thumbs up funny

This is pretty entertaining stuff. You two should hook up I just joined and this was the first thread I saw because I was thinking of a hybrid. Sorry cmeseadoin I think dodger65 has got you beat. and he can spell...lmao
cankles4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:29 AM   #12
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by cankles4me
This is pretty entertaining stuff. You two should hook up I just joined and this was the first thread I saw because I was thinking of a hybrid. Sorry cmeseadoin I think dodger65 has got you beat. and he can spell...lmao

I already had my hookup tonight thanks, and it was far better than dodge..... Here's my response to you: Welcome newbie with one post....STFU! How about that?! LMAO!
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:52 AM   #13
cankles4me
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2
Thumbs up sorry

I didn't mean to interfere. I thought you guys were just kidding around. You don't know each other? I thought you were joking around cemeseadoin. sorry.
__________________
Bright yellow 2003 VW Beetle guy that's me. now I understand what a signature is...this is fun!!
cankles4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:00 AM   #14
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by cankles4me
I didn't mean to interfere. I thought you guys were just kidding around. You don't know each other? I thought you were joking around cemeseadoin. sorry.

No, we don't know each other.....we've been going back and forth for a while. I sorta enjoy it. Could that be pathology? He's probably a nice guy but we've both gotten into "goin'" and here we are!

Did not mean to be rude to you...welcome! Come on in where the fun begins!
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:32 AM   #15
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-
 
Mathew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
My explaination is hence the "nutshell" explaination I was giving him.

Generally the "nutshell" explanation is a summary of the longer, more complicated explanation. Your explanation was completely incorrect. Don't be an advocate of fact based responses when you can't provide them yourself.
__________________
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.