Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2007, 02:42 AM   #1
newyorker
MXman

NA miata questions

I am looking to snag one up in the wintertime (specifically a 95-97 model with the pop up lights)

Any things about this car I should know? Problems, mod restrictions, etc.etc.

Thanks guys and gals
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:02 AM   #2
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

The motors don't have much potential. Don't know if that is a surprise or something you care about, just know my roomate complained about that.

Going from a turbo eclipse to the miata he said it was a world of difference for power potential.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:14 AM   #3
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudypoochris
The motors don't have much potential. Don't know if that is a surprise or something you care about, just know my roomate complained about that.

Going from a turbo eclipse to the miata he said it was a world of difference for power potential.
what did he try to do to it?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:43 AM   #4
newyorker
MXman

well there is always the jackson racing m45 supercharger

and if not that route basic intake header exhaust timing bump and im sure there is other stuff for em...they seem like great little cars i wana find out more before i buy

Old 10-05-2007, 09:54 AM   #5
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:

your kidding right?

these are strong little engines, i've seen them take something of the order of 30 psi...but you want it NA right?

They're light, compact, rwds that make great track cars, ofcourse keeping it NA you're not gona get that much power out of them as you would a turbocharged one.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekWarrior
your kidding right?

these are strong little engines, i've seen them take something of the order of 30 psi...but you want it NA right?

They're light, compact, rwds that make great track cars, ofcourse keeping it NA you're not gona get that much power out of them as you would a turbocharged one.
well NA is the body code for the first gen miata, has nothing to do with the motor really...sorry if I confused ya

Old 10-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
well NA is the body code for the first gen miata, has nothing to do with the motor really...sorry if I confused ya

oh right haha, well then yeah, what i said, pretty strong engines.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:21 AM   #8
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

Taking 30 psi in one instant from a certain turbocharger does not mean it is necessarily a robust engine. I am not saying it is doomed to weakness, I am just saying that it won't ever be a power house. IF you do turbo the snot out of it your going to be breaking your bank. Also 30 psi doesn't mean it is making tons of power. Just saying it doesn't have that much potential, which is true. 1.6 or 1.8L can only get you so far. Yes, you can go bananas and make 1200hp out of a 1.4L, but it won't be streetable, same goes for 500 out of a 1.6/1.8, 400, ~300 is a reasonable number.

My roomate tried heads, cams, intake, etc. The miata engine just doesn't have that much potential, thats all. The car is very light though so it works out.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:11 AM   #9
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Taking 30 psi in one instant from a certain turbocharger does not mean it is necessarily a robust engine. I am not saying it is doomed to weakness, I am just saying that it won't ever be a power house. IF you do turbo the snot out of it your going to be breaking your bank. Also 30 psi doesn't mean it is making tons of power. Just saying it doesn't have that much potential, which is true. 1.6 or 1.8L can only get you so far. Yes, you can go bananas and make 1200hp out of a 1.4L, but it won't be streetable, same goes for 500 out of a 1.6/1.8, 400, ~300 is a reasonable number.

My roomate tried heads, cams, intake, etc. The miata engine just doesn't have that much potential, thats all. The car is very light though so it works out.
well id be satisfied with 175whp...dont forget its only 2300lbs

Old 10-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #10
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

Ya, 175whp shouldn't be too big of a deal. The output curves probably won't be too hot, but thats what most 100+hp/liter engines will look like. I was just saying it doesn't have too much potential engine wise, I am very aware of the weight of the Miata, my project comes in under 2200lbs so its not unknown to me.

Talked to my roomate last night about the subject, he used to be into racing miatas, he said he didn't know of anyone who consistently was making over 300hp on the stock block, maybe 350hp. Including turbocharged versions. So take it for what you will. Thats what he said, and I believe him. Granted 300hp is pretty decent in a light car, if you were seeking good curves at that power or more power though, then it is an issue, which is why I mentioned that...

Going out on a limb and guessing that the rear diff is a week point considering Monster Miatas use Thunderbird IRS + Diff. I know with 225hp and 300lbft of torque those 5.0 swaps they do come in at 0-60 in 4.8 with 12.8 in the 1/4. Just as a reference point for performance.

Last edited by rudypoochris : 10-07-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #11
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Ya, 175whp shouldn't be too big of a deal. The output curves probably won't be too hot, but thats what most 100+hp/liter engines will look like. I was just saying it doesn't have too much potential engine wise, I am very aware of the weight of the Miata, my project comes in under 2200lbs so its not unknown to me.

Talked to my roomate last night about the subject, he used to be into racing miatas, he said he didn't know of anyone who consistently was making over 300hp on the stock block, maybe 350hp. Including turbocharged versions. So take it for what you will. Thats what he said, and I believe him. Granted 300hp is pretty decent in a light car, if you were seeking good curves at that power or more power though, then it is an issue, which is why I mentioned that...

Going out on a limb and guessing that the rear diff is a week point considering Monster Miatas use Thunderbird IRS + Diff. I know with 225hp and 300lbft of torque those 5.0 swaps they do come in at 0-60 in 4.8 with 12.8 in the 1/4. Just as a reference point for performance.
I hears 94/95 have a stronger diff and still run obd1

Old 10-07-2007, 07:47 PM   #12
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Your roommate doesn't know what hes talking about. And you're an idiot.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #13
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Your roommate doesn't know what hes talking about. And you're an idiot.

Hows that? Elaborate?
Old 10-07-2007, 08:31 PM   #14
newyorker
MXman

lol stop the pissfest. Im not looking for a fast car, I want a quick car thats fun to drive, hence my choice of the miata

Old 10-22-2007, 05:03 PM   #15
jcutsh
CF Enthusiast

I have a 96 running a Begi turbo at 22 psi. the car has 98k on the od.

I drive the car very hard. I never get in it that I don't slam the rev limit six or eight times. I get a thrill every time I throw back to second at seventy mph and put the big whoa on. For me, quick stops are as much fun as fast starts.

The only maintenance I have done to my car is religious fluid changes, one set of shocks, one set brake shoes, one set plug wires and couple of sets of plugs.

The Miata drives like an old pair of shoes. It just feels right.

Around here there are lots of Stang GT's, some with heavy mods in the 600 hp range. None have beaten my little girly car. NONE.

My upgrade recs for 94 thru 97:

Big brake kit -- $800
Begi turbo 12psi--- $4500
Sticky tires 15inch -- $200

Then drive the dog crapola out of it.

Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumba$$ question will inevitably appear smarta$$ed"
jcutsh is offline   Reply With Quote