View Poll Results: Which would you get
Civic Si Sedan 6 46.15%
Honda fit sport 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2007, 01:29 AM   #1
newyorker
MXman

College student needs advice

OK so im 19 years old and in college, transferring to a school that is downtown next year so im gona be driving quite a few miles every week and I want to get a new car, and I have boiled my options down to 2, and they are quite different

My school will be 20 miles away, one way, plus work travel, and 5 days a week, I anticipate ~300 miles a week, and having a car that is reliable, comfortable, and affordable is a must.

Option 1. Honda Civic Si Sedan Fiji Blue-$21,290
Option 2. Honda Fit Sport 5-speed manual Vivid Blue Pearl-$15,190

I will have a downpayment of about 7000 dollars hopefully, so that should help with payments. The car will be financed so it will need full insurance coverage as well. I make decent money at work, and will be able to afford both, but the Si I will have little money left over, and thats my drawback with the Si, as well as the added fuel bills

Civic Si Sedan -
Pros: Look, performance, value, great aftermarket support for future.
Cons: Price, MPG, insurance costs

Honda Fit Sport-
Pros: Practical, MPG, price, roomy, I think it looks great, sport package comes with all features I need
Cons: 109 horsepower so I might get bored but I hear the car is fun

What would YOU do.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

Last edited by newyorker : 10-15-2007 at 01:38 AM.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:42 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Two very different cars I guess. What you call the 'Fit' is what we call the 'Jazz' and in my opinion it's more of either a first time driver's car, or a retired driver's car. The Civic will obviously cost more all round, but I think it'll suit you better in the long run given it's younger looks. It's also less bland than the Fit.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:44 AM   #3
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Two very different cars I guess. What you call the 'Fit' is what we call the 'Jazz' and in my opinion it's more of either a first time driver's car, or a retired driver's car. The Civic will obviously cost more all round, but I think it'll suit you better in the long run given it's younger looks. It's also less bland than the Fit. I'm also under the assumption that both cars are either new or nearly new.
Both will be brand new. The jazz here is kinda aimed at new families and college students, etc.etc. Most of the people I see driving them are actually in their mind 20s to early 40s. Im still stuck in this debate, but the Civic Si will cost a LOT more

Old 10-15-2007, 01:52 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Both will be brand new. The jazz here is kinda aimed at new families and college students, etc.etc. Most of the people I see driving them are actually in their mind 20s to early 40s. Im still stuck in this debate, but the Civic Si will cost a LOT more
I saw the pics at the last minute and edited my assumption about how old the cars would be, lol...If you can afford the Civic I still say go for that one.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:10 AM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I saw the pics at the last minute and edited my assumption about how old the cars would be, lol...If you can afford the Civic I still say go for that one.
Yea. we have 2 trims of the fit, the Fit and the Fit "sport" which includes 15" alloys, fog lights, underbody kit colormatched, rear spoiler, 350 watt upgraded stereo witht AUX input, security system, and cruise control.

Here are the 2 side by side, the Fit in the back, and Fit "sport" in the front...I use quotes because there inst much about it thats really sporty lol still the same 1.5 liter 109 horsepower motor but I hear its got decent torque and is geared well for zippy acceleration

For you guys, the Jazz is like the non-"sport" fit, so I understand why you would think its bland, but the "sport" doesnt look bad actually, I quite like it.

I also think the interior is VERY nice for a car of it's price, ive been to the dealership and fiddled with the seats and storage compartments it was very impressive.

Its one of the things that makes the car very practical. It also has those touches that make it really nice like the acura style guage cluster, colormatched headlights, and it all around doesnt look like your typical econo-box. Quality seems very good for what it costs

Last edited by newyorker : 10-15-2007 at 03:14 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:28 AM   #6
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

What's wrong with your current Civic? You're a student, why are you looking to buy a new car when your current one is fine? You're saying the Si is going to cost you a lot. Your current Civic must be somewhat fun, and probably quite reliable. Keep it, and use your money to have fun in your college years. You don't want to spend every free second you have working off a car that you REALLY DON'T NEED. When you're done with school you'll get a better paying job...then really go car shopping.

And between the two, I'd get the Si. I don't see why you'd get the Fit over your current car anyways. The Fit will cost you more money as apposed to just keeping your Civic, and it's going to be slow as balls. Even with 2X the power it would still be lacking, and doubling the power in that car is no easy task.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:32 AM   #7
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
What's wrong with your current Civic? You're a student, why are you looking to buy a new car when your current one is fine? You're saying the Si is going to cost you a lot. Your current Civic must be somewhat fun, and probably quite reliable. Keep it, and use your money to have fun in your college years. You don't want to spend every free second you have working off a car that you REALLY DON'T NEED. When you're done with school you'll get a better paying job...then really go car shopping.

And between the two, I'd get the Si. I don't see why you'd get the Fit over your current car anyways. The Fit will cost you more money as apposed to just keeping your Civic, and it's going to be slow as balls. Even with 2X the power it would still be lacking, and doubling the power in that car is no easy task.
while ive thought of that option as well, my car isnt that reliable. Im replacing my transmission this week, at 116k miles, and they will keep on rolling up and up and up. there are just constant little annoyances I have with this car. rattles, reliability issues, comfort, etc.etc. that and my mpg isnt that great and is consistently dropping

EDIT: take for example if i have to replace my motor, in this car it wouldnt be worth it, and i wouldnt get shit with a blown motor, so id basically be left with a car that i could have gotten 4500-5000 for sitting in my driveway not worth anything and have to pay for the new car without the money that i would have put down from selling this one..its a tough decision

Last edited by newyorker : 10-15-2007 at 03:41 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:48 AM   #8
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Well when I wanted to sell the Z and get something else I realized, I may not exaclty love it now, but the way I'm modding and fixing or bettering this car all the time, eventually, It will be EXACLTY what I want and a one of a kind.

Kinda sucks I didnt figure it out sooner as I pretty much had to start over since I mostly returned it to stock and sold off the parts, but Im keeping it, cause I probably lose my ass on it if I sell it, and with a brand new build viperized tranny and a new forged motor going in in the extremely close future, then new paint following, it will be pretty much a new car but better
Old 10-15-2007, 04:16 AM   #9
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Well when I wanted to sell the Z and get something else I realized, I may not exaclty love it now, but the way I'm modding and fixing or bettering this car all the time, eventually, It will be EXACLTY what I want and a one of a kind.

Kinda sucks I didnt figure it out sooner as I pretty much had to start over since I mostly returned it to stock and sold off the parts, but Im keeping it, cause I probably lose my ass on it if I sell it, and with a brand new build viperized tranny and a new forged motor going in in the extremely close future, then new paint following, it will be pretty much a new car but better
Well all of my major plans kinda died off for this car either becauyse they were too expensive or complex or both. I just wana get a car to drive thats good and step away from this whole tuning game for a while. With all of the shit going on, every other asshole street races now..I was on my way home from work last night at 3am and some dudes in a mustang every light we got to they revved at me and took off, then slowed down and did it at every single stoplight...it seems like you cant drive any kind of car with any kind of modification without getting assholes nag you

Old 10-15-2007, 04:25 AM   #10
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Well all of my major plans kinda died off for this car either becauyse they were too expensive or complex or both. I just wana get a car to drive thats good and step away from this whole tuning game for a while. With all of the shit going on, every other asshole street races now..I was on my way home from work last night at 3am and some dudes in a mustang every light we got to they revved at me and took off, then slowed down and did it at every single stoplight...it seems like you cant drive any kind of car with any kind of modification without getting assholes nag you
Other people seem to really affect your car selection.

Why not a nice used LS1 GTO. Great Gas mileage (buddy gets 25-28 highway with the LS2), cheaper than a new SI, parts a cheap, good aftermarket, clean classy look (not boy racer), and very comfortable and roomy, I sit comfortably in the back and Im 6' 180lbs.
Plus itd be quick enough and nice enough to hold off modding while you just enjoy driving it, plus its still relativel new, and people usually dont notice it, so less gay mustangs trying to race.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:31 AM   #11
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Other people seem to really affect your car selection.

Why not a nice used LS1 GTO. Great Gas mileage (buddy gets 25-28 highway with the LS2), cheaper than a new SI, parts a cheap, good aftermarket, clean classy look (not boy racer), and very comfortable and roomy, I sit comfortably in the back and Im 6' 180lbs.
Plus itd be quick enough and nice enough to hold off modding while you just enjoy driving it, plus its still relativel new, and people usually dont notice it, so less gay mustangs trying to race.
Sorry but american cars never caught my fancy, especially the "muscle cars". I also want something brand new, and I dont know how your buddy gets that much mpg either hes full of it or somethin with the car must be wrong. My friend has a 5.0 95 mustang gt an gets like 8 in the city 14 highway I realize its probbably not the same motor but whatever

Old 10-15-2007, 04:34 AM   #12
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Sorry but american cars never caught my fancy, especially the "muscle cars". I also want something brand new, and I dont know how your buddy gets that much mpg either hes full of it or somethin with the car must be wrong. My friend has a 5.0 95 mustang gt an gets like 8 in the city 14 highway I realize its probbably not the same motor but whatever

Easy its a Double overdrive tranny and a big torquey motor that lugs around right off redline.
Hell I get 28highway with 3.73s and a less efficient motor, and the same transmission. Its all in the tranny and gears, gotta love the T56.

Great Its not american its australian, what would it hurt to drive one, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. Hell remeber when bronxie finally went and drove a vette?
Old 10-15-2007, 04:37 AM   #13
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Easy its a Double overdrive tranny and a big torquey motor that lugs around right off redline.
Hell I get 28highway with 3.73s and a less efficient motor, and the same transmission. Its all in the tranny and gears, gotta love the T56.

Great Its not american its australian, what would it hurt to drive one, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. Hell remeber when bronxie finally went and drove a vette?
I uno man, i just dont want an american car or australian w.e lol. Everyone I know has some problems with them, more than mine anyway

Old 10-15-2007, 04:38 AM   #14
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
I uno man, i just dont want an american car or australian w.e lol. Everyone I know has some problems with them, more than mine anyway
What would a test drive hurt then man, and so you know the drivetrain is pretty much bullet proof at stock power level in the car, and the rears are fine unless modded with some sticky tires.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:38 AM   #15
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
how many people do you know with Australian cars? Or are you assuming they're the same as American?