Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Lowering my integra.

I'm probably going to lower my car, but I've never really done any performance mods, and I was wondering if you performance nuts could help me out.

The car is a 1990 (second generation) Acura Integra. I'm really just looking for a slight improvement in handling and a better look, nothing too fancy. I was looking at Eibach's Pro-Kit Springs and it seems like they would do the job. They run around $250-$300. I don't really want to change the shocks or get a camber kit or anything like that. So let me know what you think, or if I should be doing anything else.

And I'll be doing the work myself.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Well to tell you the truth you should usually change springs and shocks at the same time, if you go to a harder spring or from progressive to non progressive, you usually need to change the shocks to, so your shock dampen the spring properly.

On the other hand alot of people dont do it and seem to be okay, so I doubt its that huge of a deal, you just wont get the full potential of the spring and your ride may suffer.

Ive heard of some issues with eibach.
ProKit for F-bodys sag and the sportlines are so low and soft, people just destroy bumpstops.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
I'm probably going to lower my car, but I've never really done any performance mods, and I was wondering if you performance nuts could help me out.

The car is a 1990 (second generation) Acura Integra. I'm really just looking for a slight improvement in handling and a better look, nothing too fancy. I was looking at Eibach's Pro-Kit Springs and it seems like they would do the job. They run around $250-$300. I don't really want to change the shocks or get a camber kit or anything like that. So let me know what you think, or if I should be doing anything else.

And I'll be doing the work myself.
Progress springs are 200 i believe, and great stuff. Change your shocks too cause stockers will blow rather quickly unless they are stil newish. Also no camber kit will eat up your tires...i say do it right or not at all, itl cost u more in the longrun if you halfass it
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:28 AM   #4
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

I would look into a coilover kit that uses hypercoils or some other common spring. That way you can:

1. Change rates easily and affordably
2. Adjust the height of the car the way you like it so it comes out just right

I would stay away from progressive springs, mainly because they aren't very high performance at all. I don't like the dive and lean they allow.

Do not lower the car to the point that your LCA's are pointing up, that will hurt handling. Ideally you want to maintain the stock angle or possibly obtain a harsher angle. To do this you will most likely need "bump steer spacers", the equivalent piece for your vehicle... if it exists, or redrill mounting points.

Last edited by rudypoochris : 10-16-2007 at 05:31 AM.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:56 AM   #5
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudypoochris
I would look into a coilover kit that uses hypercoils or some other common spring. That way you can:

1. Change rates easily and affordably
2. Adjust the height of the car the way you like it so it comes out just right

I would stay away from progressive springs, mainly because they aren't very high performance at all. I don't like the dive and lean they allow.

Do not lower the car to the point that your LCA's are pointing up, that will hurt handling. Ideally you want to maintain the stock angle or possibly obtain a harsher angle. To do this you will most likely need "bump steer spacers", the equivalent piece for your vehicle... if it exists, or redrill mounting points.

The kit I referred to wouldn't lower it enough to make the LCA's point up, its only like a 1-1.5" drop I believe, thats all I want. Like I said I'm not looking to spend a ton of money to make the thing handle like its on rails, just just want to drop it a bit...
Old 10-16-2007, 06:00 AM   #6
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
The kit I referred to wouldn't lower it enough to make the LCA's point up, its only like a 1-1.5" drop I believe, thats all I want. Like I said I'm not looking to spend a ton of money to make the thing handle like its on rails, just just want to drop it a bit...
Well look at it this way...if cheap out and do it with just springs the ride is gona be bad, and parts will start to break, so you can really get the same effect by cutting your springs itl cost you nothing at all. I know Tein makes springs for OEM struts but i wouldnt be so optimistic I mean its not a new car, and im guessing the stock suspension has some miles on it, so it wont work the same

Old 10-16-2007, 07:01 AM   #7
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

Honestly you need to choose if you want to just lower it or if you want to make it handle better.

If you want to just lower it, you might as well cut the springs. (it is possible it will handle better depending on how much you cut, but it is also possible it will handle considerably worse)

If you want it to handle better, get the coil overs.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Honestly you need to choose if you want to just lower it or if you want to make it handle better.

If you want to just lower it, you might as well cut the springs. (it is possible it will handle better depending on how much you cut, but it is also possible it will handle considerably worse)

If you want it to handle better, get the coil overs.
coilovers are not necessary....i got struts and springs for my car and they made it handle a LOT better, and cost 1/2 of what tein basics did

Old 10-17-2007, 02:44 AM   #9
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

Good point. I forgot that coilovers were alot more expensive than springs for most cars.

I still think it is the way to go if you want to perform. It allows alot more flexability, easy spring changes, and you can select a ride height that WILL actually benefit handling rather than finding out you wen't an inch too far and so forth.

I agree though, springs and struts are fine.

So if you want to lower it: Cut it
If you want performance: Spring (correct length) and struts, or coilovers and struts (not sure if your car melds the two together).
Old 10-17-2007, 03:23 AM   #10
Mathew

Fair enough, what sort of struts should I be looking at. Can this be kept under $500? Keep in mind I'm Canadian, things are more expensive up here. Despite our dollar currently being higher...

Are there any particular strut/spring combinations that work well?

And once again, I'm not building a race car, I want my car lower, and a slight improvement in handling.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:42 AM   #11
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

I would look into Tokico and KYB they both offer good choices. Go for a twin tube since your money concious. If you were going for straight performance monotube would be it... then from there you would get external resevouirs and yadiyada.

I have always found the Tokico Illumina struts to be a pretty good deal. They are 5-way adjustable twin tube design that can handle decent spring rates... plus they are cheap. Buy them new from Ebay at it is around $50-75 a strut compared to $100-150 from others. If you get a kit from them maybe you can sell off the springs if they aren't what you like, that is a great way to get cheap struts.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:58 PM   #12
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Fair enough, what sort of struts should I be looking at. Can this be kept under $500? Keep in mind I'm Canadian, things are more expensive up here. Despite our dollar currently being higher...

Are there any particular strut/spring combinations that work well?

And once again, I'm not building a race car, I want my car lower, and a slight improvement in handling.
A common misconception is that coilovers will offer a better ride and handling than a strut and spring, which is not true at all. I particularly dont like coilovers, especially coilover sleeves (just the spring with adjustable things) because they seem more like a toy than anything else. Apart from adjustable ride height (totally useless for me) they dont offer much. A strut and spring combo will be just as good if not better than a coilover system, and cheaper as well. Tein basics for my car are close to 900. I got my suspension for 457 total, and I love it.

Glad to see you are doing this right, so il try to answer in order

My car has Tokico HP, a.k.a. Blues, they were 323 for the set, and are great. Then there is KYB which is also affordable and can be had for under your price limit. Bilstein and Koni are what I call top of the line, and are more expensive and perform a LOT better than the other 2 I listed, but if you can snag a deal on them, do it because they are simply the best. However, they are just the cylinders, a shop will have to disassemble your strut and use the stock perch, etc., because bilstein and Koni just make the inner cylinder part. Tokico makes a long line of struts, from the HP being a "stock replacement" but actually offers better damping, and is designed for lowering springs, so it wont blow. I believe they also have a lifetime warranty, so if it blows, send it out and youll get a new one. Tokico also has the Illumina (step up but again more money), and D-Spec that has adjustable damping, as do the Koni, but you gota pay to play, so stick with either the Tokico HP, or KYB, in that order. Ive heard bad things about Dropzone products, basicaly that they are bad quality with bad engineering.

Secondly..there is no best strut/spring combo for any car. the best bet for you is to go on car specific forums and see what other people say about certain combos..the week of research and decision will be worth it when you have a good setup. I use Neuspeed Sport springs, great ride, great drop, great quality, and great handling improvement over stock (a suspension alone wont do much without proper tires, so dont expect to have good handling without a proper tire..there is a noticable difference between my 205 40 17 Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 tires, and my 195 65 14 Goodyear Integrity tires, both in body roll, steering response, grip, and feel...the Kumhos feel a lot more stable and less wiggly on the road. dont get me wrong it will help, but if you get better tires as well it will be night and day). there is no best combo because different rate springs will go differently with different cars, and struts, etc. I can name you a few companies off hand to look at, in order of recomendation

Progress (might have to wait a bit cause they dont make as many, but well worth it)
Neuspeed Sport (race is too much of a drop IMO and ride quality suffers as well as strut life will with the HP struts)
Eibach
H&R
Tein

Do a bit of reading, and see what combos work how, and how people like them. Camber kits, there is Skunk 2, SPC, Megan, etc. etc. remember if it seems cheap, the quality probbably is as well.

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2007, 08:02 PM   #13
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
I would look into Tokico and KYB they both offer good choices. Go for a twin tube since your money concious. If you were going for straight performance monotube would be it... then from there you would get external resevouirs and yadiyada.

I have always found the Tokico Illumina struts to be a pretty good deal. They are 5-way adjustable twin tube design that can handle decent spring rates... plus they are cheap. Buy them new from Ebay at it is around $50-75 a strut compared to $100-150 from others. If you get a kit from them maybe you can sell off the springs if they aren't what you like, that is a great way to get cheap struts.
Totally agree here. While it may take longer, it will be worth it in the end. There are basically 2 ways to do things

Right
or
Right now

I prefer #1

Old 10-19-2007, 08:08 PM   #14
newyorker
MXman

Triple post, but 2 pix

My car before the drop

4 fingers gap in front, 3 in rear....HORRIBLE

After the drop

1 finger gap all around

If you want, I can also post proper break-in procedure and such for you, but later on tonight I have some stuff to do. Let me know. Also, if you want to save some money, check out how much shipping would be from 19116 to you. I can get the stuff here probbably considerable cheaper, and even with cost of shipping, you might save some money...I dont take comission so no worry. Keep in mind your struts will be ~50+lbs and springs ~35+lbs so look around...that or you can get stuff secondhand from clubs and things. Id get used springs and camber kit, cause there isnt much that can happen that they will be broken lol. struts, buy them new. I dont know how much it will help with shipping, customs, exchange rate (1us dollar to 1.03 canadian last I checked) and paypal fees, but if thats something you want to look into, by all means do. Il ask my buddy he might have some springs from his DA teg somewhere. also if you are doing the work yourself, be ready with some PB Blaster (if you guys have it), a hammer, and a blowtorch. The bolts on my front struts took over an hour to remove because they were so corroded and rusted

Last edited by newyorker : 10-20-2007 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:41 AM   #15
Mathew

Thanks for the detailed replies Newyorker, I'll consider everything you said, and not to worry about tools/supplies, I'd be doing this all on shop night at work...