Originally Posted by dangphilzill
Hey guys, Just bought a G37 S and i love it. I am kind of new to the manual tranny world and was wondering about a few things..
1. Is it bad to rev the engine while holding down the clutch? Hence riding the clutch?
2. While upshifting, how da heck do i keep myself from jerking. I have never had a trouble with my friends RSX clutch engage was so low and light but with this G.. its so high and heavy. Iv tried everything, giving a little gas before the engagement point, giving gas after engagement pt, and just engaging it den giving it gas. (Definitely a nooby question but any help will be nice)
3. After my break in period, I wana push the car to the max. Anyone tell me the appropriate RPMs I should shift such as, 1st gear to 3000 RPM and 2nd to... 3rd to...
Dats about it. THankss
We actually had one at work I loved it
1. if the clutch is all the way down no its not bad...just wasting gas...if the clutch is even partially engaged and you are revving, you are burning it up, but if you think you slowly do this every time you start..just dont do clutch stands on hills and try to hold it by slipping the clutch for 5 minutes.
2. try to release the pedal using your foot, not leg it will be smoother. the clutch in the g37 to me seemed to kinda pop up like acura TL and such, so just be very gentle with it. it will take time but youll get it. pivot your ankle
3. there is no appropriate RPM, its a manual trans, it gives you the choice and control. for city driving I shift low. highway driving in the middle (my car has less torque and power so downshifting is essential). i cant gun it anymore till my trans gets fixed, but you get the idea. take your time and get comfortable with the car. GL
Also I heard that holding the clutch down at a light for a minute or so wears the pressure plate and such..simply keep it in neutral and foot on the brake when it goes green get in gear and go...youll get in the habit of this later, if you are just learning stick taking off at a good pace might be a problem