Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2007, 03:19 AM   #31
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
By the way, did I miss something? He just got his car back...what advice are you PM'ing him? How to swap an engine?

He told me to scam the insurance company.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:23 AM   #32
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
He told me to scam the insurance company.
its not scamming...here with out companies, they recomend you a shop to go to, but they dont tie you down to it, your system works differently...hell your companies are even different. here the adjuster comes, writes a bill, you get a check, and you can take your car anywhere to get repaired...hell you dont even have to get it repaired its not a crime.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:24 AM   #33
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
By the way, did I miss something? He just got his car back...what advice are you PM'ing him? How to swap an engine?
i wasnt up to date with the thread...maybe i should give you some advice...that vr4 you wanted is a waste of money, and a money pit once you own it i drove a bone stock one the same way i drive my civic and it broke down...and this is a "performance" car lolz

Old 11-01-2007, 03:53 AM   #34
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Scam

1. a confidence game or other fraudulent scheme, esp. for making a quick profit; swindle.

From the PM: make some fast cash...insurance company quoted it at 1200...i duno how it works there but here we tkae the check and take the car somewhere else where its cheaper to repair...from the look of the damage the crash bar looks safe to use so you dont have to replace that, or anything else except the taillight for inspection purposes so you can technically take the check and make out with lots of money from it all...

Yeah. Scam.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:04 AM   #35
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Scam

1. a confidence game or other fraudulent scheme, esp. for making a quick profit; swindle.

From the PM: make some fast cash...insurance company quoted it at 1200...i duno how it works there but here we tkae the check and take the car somewhere else where its cheaper to repair...from the look of the damage the crash bar looks safe to use so you dont have to replace that, or anything else except the taillight for inspection purposes so you can technically take the check and make out with lots of money from it all...

Yeah. Scam.
THERE IS NO LAW FROM OUR INSURANCE COMPANIES TELLING US WHERE TO GO. I might have heard bad things about the shop they are recomending me, or i know someone else does a better job..they just cut the check nad leave us be, its different for you

Old 11-01-2007, 04:17 AM   #36
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
THERE IS NO LAW FROM OUR INSURANCE COMPANIES TELLING US WHERE TO GO. I might have heard bad things about the shop they are recomending me, or i know someone else does a better job..they just cut the check nad leave us be, its different for you

Where did I ever say what you did was illegal? I said it was a scam. Not all scams are necessarily illegal. But it is definitely a way to make quick cash.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:48 AM   #37
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Where did I ever say what you did was illegal? I said it was a scam. Not all scams are necessarily illegal. But it is definitely a way to make quick cash.
well you made it seem like such a big deal...like everyone else nad their mom havent done it at least once

Old 11-01-2007, 05:03 AM   #38
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
well you made it seem like such a big deal...like everyone else nad their mom havent done it at least once
but.... that method was actually suggested a couple of times at the start of the thread anyway..... lucky for your pm ... hmmmmm

Glad to hear it all worked out in the end.
so with this insurance, you can't have separate comprehensive insurance? or third party property at least?
Old 11-01-2007, 05:09 AM   #39
newyorker
MXman

yea how does it work in canada?? or is it by prividence diff rules?? here were have seperate companies like state farm, geico, allstate, etc. but i think if there was a mandated and more regulated government central insurance type deal it would be better for everyone, as well as stricter rules on the road everyone would benefit...insurance rates would go down because everyone would have to be insured or no car, and the more assholes they catch speeding the better for everyone else..i usually stick the limit or 5 over it...no need to be speeding everywhere like an idiot like i used to i guess i grew up past it..i mean il still go like 5 over..maybe 10 and that gives me enough speed to keep up with the flow and pass those who choose to go slower

Old 11-01-2007, 05:26 AM   #40
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
yea how does it work in canada?? or is it by prividence diff rules?? here were have seperate companies like state farm, geico, allstate, etc. but i think if there was a mandated and more regulated government central insurance type deal it would be better for everyone, as well as stricter rules on the road everyone would benefit...insurance rates would go down because everyone would have to be insured or no car, and the more assholes they catch speeding the better for everyone else..i usually stick the limit or 5 over it...no need to be speeding everywhere like an idiot like i used to i guess i grew up past it..i mean il still go like 5 over..maybe 10 and that gives me enough speed to keep up with the flow and pass those who choose to go slower
It depends on the province. Some have multiple companies, others have government-run insurance. I don't know if insurance rates would go down; that's debatable, but we wouldn't have to pay an extra fee for the uninsured drivers.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:31 AM   #41
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
It depends on the province. Some have multiple companies, others have government-run insurance. I don't know if insurance rates would go down; that's debatable, but we wouldn't have to pay an extra fee for the uninsured drivers.
sorry for spelling..yea it would be nice i used to do that shit all the time now il go out maybe 3-4 days a week around midnight to my favorite road which is always empty nad just do my runs

Old 11-01-2007, 05:34 AM   #42
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Well, I know the insurance is done differently by every province, but I'll explain how it works here for me.

First off, we have one insurer for vehicles, the government. SGI - Saskatchewan Government Insurance.

We have to purchase plates + insurance for a vehicle to have it legal to drive. The basic insurance cost depends mainly on the vehicle you drive, but can be affected by your driving record(not a huge difference, but there is some). For example, I pay approximately 1200$ a year for my 2005 "Neon", but someone with a 1995 Neon would only pay about 600$ a year. If I had a bad record, I could end up paying at most 1300$ for a year. A bad record affects the cost of your driver's license moreso. Regular license = 25$ a year. If you get a DUI....about 800$ for that, then it goes back to 25$ the next year.

We have what's called "No-Fault" insurance, meaning that no fault on either party is often assigned. The only time someone is at fault is if it's a clear cut thing, like getting rear-ended, running a stop sign, driving intoxicated. But say for instance both drivers do something retarded and end up in a collision, fault is split 50-50.

The basic deductible is a 700$ charge, which means if you are at fault, you have to pay upto 700$ for damages, the rest is covered by insurance. For example, the guy who hit me probably had about 4-5 thousand in damages to his car, plus the 1250$ to mine. He only pays 700$. If we had both been at fault, we would have each paid 350$.

We can buy package policies as well, to lower our deductibles and have better coverage. Basic insurance doesn't cover vandalism, theft, or wildlife collisions, you need to pay the deductible on any of that. But for about 200-300 a year(depending again on the vehicle) you can get the package policy, to lower your deductible to 50$, and it covers everything. There is a zero-cost deductible package, but it's nearly as expensive as the regular insurance, and unless you think you'll need it, there's no real benefit.

That about covers it....if you have any other questions...ask.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:36 AM   #43
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
sorry for spelling..yea it would be nice i used to do that shit all the time now il go out maybe 3-4 days a week around midnight to my favorite road which is always empty nad just do my runs
ok i just realized how contradicting that sounded...point is im tired of hearing these stories that street racing accident kills 2, or someone was driving drunk and hit a car and killed the mother and kids inside. id gladly stop all of my shit it just takes time getting used to it im used to speeding...eventually those accidents might happen to someone close to me and i dont want it to happen that shit has to stop. i think the mistake most idiots make here is they brake during the turn....DO YOUR BRAKING BEFORE THE TURN...i swear the road i take i see new paint on the guardrails almost monthly

Old 11-01-2007, 05:42 AM   #44
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Well, I know the insurance is done differently by every province, but I'll explain how it works here for me.

First off, we have one insurer for vehicles, the government. SGI - Saskatchewan Government Insurance.

We have to purchase plates + insurance for a vehicle to have it legal to drive. The basic insurance cost depends mainly on the vehicle you drive, but can be affected by your driving record(not a huge difference, but there is some). For example, I pay approximately 1200$ a year for my 2005 "Neon", but someone with a 1995 Neon would only pay about 600$ a year. If I had a bad record, I could end up paying at most 1300$ for a year. A bad record affects the cost of your driver's license moreso. Regular license = 25$ a year. If you get a DUI....about 800$ for that, then it goes back to 25$ the next year.

We have what's called "No-Fault" insurance, meaning that no fault on either party is often assigned. The only time someone is at fault is if it's a clear cut thing, like getting rear-ended, running a stop sign, driving intoxicated. But say for instance both drivers do something retarded and end up in a collision, fault is split 50-50.

The basic deductible is a 700$ charge, which means if you are at fault, you have to pay upto 700$ for damages, the rest is covered by insurance. For example, the guy who hit me probably had about 4-5 thousand in damages to his car, plus the 1250$ to mine. He only pays 700$. If we had both been at fault, we would have each paid 350$.

We can buy package policies as well, to lower our deductibles and have better coverage. Basic insurance doesn't cover vandalism, theft, or wildlife collisions, you need to pay the deductible on any of that. But for about 200-300 a year(depending again on the vehicle) you can get the package policy, to lower your deductible to 50$, and it covers everything. There is a zero-cost deductible package, but it's nearly as expensive as the regular insurance, and unless you think you'll need it, there's no real benefit.

That about covers it....if you have any other questions...ask.
you have some things similar to us and some different...im paying 134 a month right now for limited coverage..deductable is usually 500, and for DUI and stuff insurance goes up..we dont have licence cost just registration which is a standard yearly thing..here i think its 16 dollars and u get the sticker on your car licence plate for the year. insurance here goes down significantly once you turn 25. i really think they should retest certain people for licences once they get to a certain age...reaction time, vision, everything goes down, and these are the people that cause some accidents..not nearly as many as the street ricers that leave smoke at every light neutral bombing their cars, but still...i duno

just wondering how prominent is diesel fuel in canada?? here its not that high of a percent among passanger cars...last i checked it as like 4...and only 12% of new cars sold are standard transmission..i think if everyone here drove stick they would be better drivers they would pay more attention to the road and less to their food, makeup, and cell phones. new jersey has a law that talking on your cell phone without a handsfree device will get you a ticket..id like to see that here as well

Old 11-01-2007, 06:16 AM   #45
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
just wondering how prominent is diesel fuel in canada?? here its not that high of a percent among passanger cars...last i checked it as like 4...and only 12% of new cars sold are standard transmission..i think if everyone here drove stick they would be better drivers they would pay more attention to the road and less to their food, makeup, and cell phones. new jersey has a law that talking on your cell phone without a handsfree device will get you a ticket..id like to see that here as well

I agree with the license retests. If it's any consolation, any driver with a license to drive semi's......1A/CDL/whatever the desigination, they have to undergo a medical test every few years to retain it.

Ummm, the total is about 18% diesel...but only about 9% are passenger. The other 9% = medium-duty/heavy-duty pickups and semi's.

As for the amount of drivers running stick.....no clue whatsoever. And that's becoming outdated, with more and more vehicles coming equipped with a CVT

And some provinces also have a handsfree only law up here....not in saskatchewan yet though.