Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
gustafsa
CF Newbie

in. of play in steering wheel on Acura EL..

Need some info on my 2003 Acura EL after another car side swiped mine. The other car put a 1 foot indentation along the entire left side from just behind the front wheel to the tail light. Got it back after months in the bodyshop and now the steering wheel has a in. dead play at top center and is stiff to turn, also at top center.

The other carowners insurance company paid the bill ( it was not cheap) but I suppose we are not done yet. Could it be dangerous to drive and what could the problem be? Any body have an idea?
:

Old "Swede"
gustafsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Firstly, how did you do that "half" symbol? lol.

Ok, if it's come back from the bodyshop and it isn't satisfactorily repaired, you should take it back to them, as any problems with steering componants should obviously be checked out sooner rather than later.

I'll move this to the R&M section because I think it'll be better suited there.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:42 AM   #3
gustafsa
CF Newbie

in. Cute eh?

Thanks for the fast reply. Firstly. Hold down Alt and hit 0189 and you have a .

Yes, I'll take it back Monday. I wonder if something got bent in the steering column or a gear got pushed off kilter at the accident.

Thanks. Here is a . (alt 0188)

Old 'Swede"...

Old 11-03-2007, 02:13 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustafsa
Thanks for the fast reply. Firstly. Hold down Alt and hit 0189 and you have a .

Yes, I'll take it back Monday. I wonder if something got bent in the steering column or a gear got pushed off kilter at the accident.

Thanks. Here is a . (alt 0188)

Old 'Swede"...

You're welcome, and thanx for the "three quarters" lol.

If there's play in the steering it's more than likely that something was bent in the imapct (could be one of a few things really)

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 11-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #5
thefonz
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
You're welcome, and thanx for the "three quarters" lol.

If there's play in the steering it's more than likely that something was bent in the imapct (could be one of a few things really)

You mean ?
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Really? Are you sure? Or are you just typing to waste your own and others time again? I know this'll be a stretch for you, but let's try applying some common sense to the matter.

Let's say that for example a tie rod end is bent. There is no doubt that a bent tie rod will throw off the toe-in, but where does it introduce the looseness that would cause free play in the steering wheel? Let's say that a lower control arm is bent. Once again the alignment will be off, but why is there slack in the steering? If your answer to these questions are that a bent part will not cause looseness, you're correct... And also contradicting your previous statement. Par for the course. And when you're finished typing your indignant response to this post, go look up the words "bent" and "loose". The last I checked they were completely different.

The bottom line is that bent parts do not cause looseness. Damaged parts on the other hand, such as tie-rod ends, ball joints, steering couplers, wheel bearings, suspension bushings, etc will. In the future I think you'd be best advised to stick to being a rent-a-cop and eating doughnuts.

P.S. Just for grins, while you're typing out your bitch about this post, how about you include at least three items "could be one of a few things really" that by being bent would cause free play in the steering wheel. Have fun grasping at straws.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:06 AM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Really? Are you sure? Or are you just typing to waste your own and others time again? I know this'll be a stretch for you, but let's try applying some common sense to the matter.

Let's say that for example a tie rod end is bent. There is no doubt that a bent tie rod will throw off the toe-in, but where does it introduce the looseness that would cause free play in the steering wheel? Let's say that a lower control arm is bent. Once again the alignment will be off, but why is there slack in the steering? If your answer to these questions are that a bent part will not cause looseness, you're correct... And also contradicting your previous statement. Par for the course. And when you're finished typing your indignant response to this post, go look up the words "bent" and "loose". The last I checked they were completely different.

The bottom line is that bent parts do not cause looseness. Damaged parts on the other hand, such as tie-rod ends, ball joints, steering couplers, wheel bearings, suspension bushings, etc will. In the future I think you'd be best advised to stick to being a rent-a-cop and eating doughnuts.

P.S. Just for grins, while you're typing out your bitch about this post, how about you include at least three items "could be one of a few things really" that by being bent would cause free play in the steering wheel. Have fun grasping at straws.
There's not going to be an in-depth reply. I hold my hands up, bent was the wrong terminology. My appologies. I'll leave this here, just like you seem to whenever you're wrong about something. By the way, can't beat jam doughnuts. Have a lovely evening.

Last edited by Cliffy : 11-04-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:05 AM   #8
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
There's not going to be an in-depth reply. I hold my hands up, bent was the wrong terminology. My appologies. I'll leave this here, just like you seem to whenever you're wrong about something. By the way, can't beat jam doughnuts, and. Have a lovely evening.
I love how vwhobo nitpicks other people's posts but never really gives any answers only rarely...why isnt he banned, along with What...they are both useless really
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:18 AM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
I love how vwhobo nitpicks other people's posts but never really gives any answers only rarely...why isnt he banned, along with What...they are both useless really
He was banned, but Bav, in his infinite wisdom, threw his rattle out of the pram and demanded his reinstatement. Not that it really mattered anyway because Bav hasn't been seen in a couple of months. Hobo's not all bad though, he has helped people in the past but just likes to find fault in pretty much everything anybody says. He also likes to nitpick about how this place is run, and I wait for his outbursts with baited breath...kinda freaks me out sometimes, lol.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:48 AM   #10
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
He was banned, but Bav, in his infinite wisdom, threw his rattle out of the pram and demanded his reinstatement. Not that it really mattered anyway because Bav hasn't been seen in a couple of months. Hobo's not all bad though, he has helped people in the past but just likes to find fault in pretty much everything anybody says. He also likes to nitpick about how this place is run, and I wait for his outbursts with baited breath...kinda freaks me out sometimes, lol.
If vwhobo didn't go on, most members wouldn't be able to help...Besides, give the guy a break, don't any of your grandparents just complain all day and send angry letters to TV shows they don't like? JP
Old 11-04-2007, 01:58 AM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
If vwhobo didn't go on, most members wouldn't be able to help...Besides, give the guy a break, don't any of your grandparents just complain all day and send angry letters to TV shows they don't like? JP
I'd rather this didn't turn in to more CF drama, so I'll agree with you, lol. I know hobo can be helpful, and alot of the time his rants at new members can actually be justified, but there have been other members that are equally as helpful as he has been who choose not to visit anymore. Anyway, lets end this argument here....if there was actually one, lol.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:07 AM   #12
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
I'd rather this didn't turn in to more CF drama, so I'll agree with you, lol. I know hobo can be helpful, and a lot of the time his rants at new members can actually be justified, but there have been other members that are equally as helpful as he has been who choose not to visit anymore. Anyway, lets end this argument here....if there was actually one, lol.
So I guess I win the "argument"? JP
Old 11-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #13
gustafsa
CF Newbie

Just pondering what in. can do...

I suppose that my question touched a sensitive nerve. Thanks for you help and God bless...................
Old 11-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #14
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker

...and you think that you are useful w/ all your threads about mods that you're lying about doing anyway?

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
There's not going to be an in-depth reply. I hold my hands up, bent was the wrong terminology. My appologies. I'll leave this here, just like you seem to whenever you're wrong about something. By the way, can't beat jam doughnuts. Have a lovely evening.
I don't stop responding when I'm wrong, because I so seldom am. As a matter of fact, if you had even a shred of intellectual honesty you'd know that when I'm wrong I'm very public about saying so.

When I stop responding, and I do from time to time, it's because it has become abundantly apparent that no matter how hard I try to explain something to someone, they're too ignorant and thick headed to comprehend the truth. That's why I've given up trying to point you in the right direction.

As for you little friend newyorker, he's as worthless on tits on a whore... Even you know that. And if he could indentify the concept of honesty, he wouldn't say the things he does about me. After all, it's a fact that I've not only helped him publically on this forum, but I've also helped him with his college homework (business, economics) via PM. That's called full disclosure. He can either admit it, which will invalidate his many previous statements about me, or he can deny it, in which case he'll further demonstrate his total and complete lack of honesty and maturity. You know what my guess is.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote