Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
bandc
CF Newbie

timing belt question

Hey There,

New to this, but am looking for some kind of advice...my husband has a 2004 Mazda Millenia. Neither of us are very car savy, but use them everyday both being in outside sales. His car started having a loud constant ticking noice...sounded very much like some kind of belt or something but we have no clue. We we're on our way from a road trip and made it home and took it to the repair shop just down the street. They just called and said it has something to do with the timing, but really need to get in there and look. The car is running fine...but it's not a good noise. The quote we have been given is in the $1000 range?? Does this sound right. I know that's not a lot to go on, but we just don't have a clue. Should we try checking around and risk driving it more, or does this sound about right??

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks Much!
bandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandc
Hey There,

New to this, but am looking for some kind of advice...my husband has a 2004 Mazda Millenia. Neither of us are very car savy, but use them everyday both being in outside sales. His car started having a loud constant ticking noice...sounded very much like some kind of belt or something but we have no clue. We we're on our way from a road trip and made it home and took it to the repair shop just down the street. They just called and said it has something to do with the timing, but really need to get in there and look. The car is running fine...but it's not a good noise. The quote we have been given is in the $1000 range?? Does this sound right. I know that's not a lot to go on, but we just don't have a clue. Should we try checking around and risk driving it more, or does this sound about right??

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks Much!
You need to clarify at least a couple of things.

1. Do you have the 2.3 or 2.5 liter engine?

2. Has there been any fairly recent repair or servicing done to this vehicle?

3. What exactly were you quoted $1k for? Disassembly and inspection? If not, how can they throw you a quote until they know what needs to be repaired? I'm confused. I do this everyday for a living, the right way, and don't know how to quote without first doing a diagnostic.

As for the driving, if it doesn't sound good to you, then it probably isn't. Why risk doing further damage? Beyond that and without more facts, there isn't much anyone can do for you besides make completely uneducated guesses. Expect several.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:58 AM   #3
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

i had a ticking noise on my mr2... i sold it.. the buyer was going to rebuild the motor... i think the problem which we diagnosed was a rod knock.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:27 AM   #4
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tec
i had a ticking noise on my mr2... i sold it.. the buyer was going to rebuild the motor... i think the problem which we diagnosed was a rod knock.
I HATE that sound...when my input shaft bearing went out there was a similar knock at idle, when I first heard it I almost shit...then I found out I didnt need a motor rebuild

OP...the car is a 2004...did you get it new or used? If it is still under warranty, take it back to them, I am not sure what coverage Mazda offered for that car that year, but if you fit into the month/mileage bracket that is warrantied, definately have them look. Sometimes there are recalls you dont know about, like when I took my car into Honda for an SRS light, they said it was a recall and was even under extended warranty and fixed it for free. Start there
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:17 AM   #5
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

the weird thing was that there was no ticks/ knocks at idle... the car pulled hard. and the sound only occured at 3000-3800 rpms... It did burn oil though.