Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2007, 04:25 AM   #1
PeteZaHut
CF Newbie

Drifting

My car drifts a little to the right when the steering wheel is straight. I had it aligned at the mechanic. That didn't do anything. All the tire pressures are the same. Any ideas on what else it might be?
PeteZaHut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:35 AM   #2
07exlv6
CF Enthusiast

this often happens if a car was in a pretty bad wreck and the frame wasnt pulled out right, no fix.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
PeteZaHut
CF Newbie

my car has never been wrecked.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZaHut
My car drifts a little to the right when the steering wheel is straight. I had it aligned at the mechanic. That didn't do anything. All the tire pressures are the same. Any ideas on what else it might be?
Did we take the car to the alignment shop and tell them that it drifts right, or did we just walk in and say we want an alignment? I bet I know the answer.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:14 AM   #5
PeteZaHut
CF Newbie

i told the guy that my car is drifting to the right. he asked if i wanted an alignment. i said yes, figuring he understood what he was doing.

i have since decided to never go back to the place after they put on new tires for me and filled the pressure 8 psi too high
Old 11-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
i told the guy that my car is drifting to the right. he asked if i wanted an alignment. i said yes, figuring he understood what he was doing.

i have since decided to never go back to the place after they put on new tires for me and filled the pressure 8 psi too high
You said you took it to the mechanic...just curious about one thing. Was he even equipped to do a wheel alignment?

One more curious question. What did they leave the tire pressure at?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:37 PM   #7
PeteZaHut
CF Newbie

im pretty sure they would have the equipment. They put on new tires for me at 40 psi when my car takes 32
Old 11-07-2007, 10:56 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:

And therein lays at least a portion of the problem. What are your qualifications to determine whether or not your car requires an alignment, unless you're doing so as part of a preventative maintenance program? My guess, and I 99.999% guaran-damn-tee I'm right, is that you're not. This is how the system works correctly.

You talk to the service advisor and tell him that you’re concerned because your car seems to be drifting to the right. He should ask you questions. Maybe a bunch. If he doesn’t, leave as fast as you can. He should also go on a test drive with you. The car should then be inspected by a qualified technician to check for any worn, faulty or damaged parts. Only then can the determination be made if an alignment is the appropriate step to take.

You, as I assumed earlier, asked for an alignment.

Quote:
im pretty sure they would have the equipment. They put on new tires for me at 40 psi when my car takes 32
Pretty sure? You're kidding, right? Would you have a doctor perform heart surgery on you if you were only “pretty sure” he had the required equipment and training? In my vast experience, an educated consumer is a satisfied consumer. It sounds like you didn’t bother to do your part.

As for the tires being substantially over inflated, that is a problem, but it won’t cause the car to drift. At least you’ve made the correct decision to not take your business back to them. But have you done the right thing and contacted the BBB to help others in their search for a competent shop? Again, my guess is no.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:36 AM   #9
PeteZaHut
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
And therein lays at least a portion of the problem. What are your qualifications to determine whether or not your car requires an alignment, unless you're doing so as part of a preventative maintenance program? My guess, and I 99.999% guaran-damn-tee I'm right, is that you're not. This is how the system works correctly.

You talk to the service advisor and tell him that you’re concerned because your car seems to be drifting to the right. He should ask you questions. Maybe a bunch. If he doesn’t, leave as fast as you can. He should also go on a test drive with you. The car should then be inspected by a qualified technician to check for any worn, faulty or damaged parts. Only then can the determination be made if an alignment is the appropriate step to take.

You, as I assumed earlier, asked for an alignment.

Pretty sure? You're kidding, right? Would you have a doctor perform heart surgery on you if you were only “pretty sure” he had the required equipment and training? In my vast experience, an educated consumer is a satisfied consumer. It sounds like you didn’t bother to do your part.

As for the tires being substantially over inflated, that is a problem, but it won’t cause the car to drift. At least you’ve made the correct decision to not take your business back to them. But have you done the right thing and contacted the BBB to help others in their search for a competent shop? Again, my guess is no.

geez, why don't we just blast me some more
Old 11-08-2007, 03:26 AM   #10
07exlv6
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
geez, why don't we just blast me some more

hey kid dont listen to him, he is a very old pissed off little man that starts fight with everyone on here, sorry we cant help you out bro...
Old 11-08-2007, 05:18 AM   #11
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07exlv6
hey kid dont listen to him, he is a very old pissed off little man that starts fight with everyone on here, sorry we cant help you out bro...

...and this guy's back to tell you he can't help you, either...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:20 AM   #12
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:

Telling him not to listen to the most knowlegeable and experienced (as far as cars go) frequenter to the forum, sound advice right there.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:24 AM   #13
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Quote:
Actually, do listen to him, as it might help you in the future, just don't take it personally. The moral of the story is don't trust the local chop shop just because the guys shirt says "mechanic" and his hands have grease on them.