Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2007, 01:30 AM   #1
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Cough Cures...

Ok, so I have this really annoying cough that has been occuring in the early hours of the morning (or at inconvenient times in general). It's been happening for a few days and is really starting to annoy the wife, as she gets woken up by it, lol....So, does anybody know of any proven remedies? (or non-proven, I'm really not fussed, lol)

Thanx guys!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:32 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

i have the same thing every winter (not from smoking)

see a doctor, but in the meantime, warm milk and honey will help soothe your throat those are the first 2 that come to mind
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:33 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Buckley's?
Old 11-13-2007, 01:38 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
i have the same thing every winter (not from smoking)

see a doctor, but in the meantime, warm milk and honey will help soothe your throat those are the first 2 that come to mind
I'm a non-smoker so this isn't usually a big issue (I'm guessing smokers get coughs more regularly?). I will try the warm milk thing. although my throat isn't sore so it doesn't really need soothing, lol. Thanx for the advice!

Chris, what is Buckley's? A cough mixture?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Last edited by Cliffy : 11-13-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:41 AM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I'm a non-smoker so this isn't usually a big issue (I'm guessing smokers get coughs more regularly?). I will try the warm milk thing. although my throat isn't soar so it doesn't really need soothing, lol. Thanx for the advice!

Chris, what is Buckley's? A cough mixture?

It's for coughs and congestion, but I guess since you didn't know about it, you guys don't get it there...
Old 11-13-2007, 01:45 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows

It's for coughs and congestion, but I guess since you didn't know about it, you guys don't get it there...
No, we have our various equivalents though. To be honest I find that stuff only works to an extent or covers up (masks?) the cough. I was wondering if there was a way in which to elliminate the cough so it doesn't return, at least for a couple of weeks, lol.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:54 AM   #7
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

How would you describe the cough?

Definitely see a doctor. Coughing and the respiratory system is not a thing to mess around with, especially since you get it in the morning. Many medications are not OTC anyway. In the meantime, drink hot tea, eat cough drops, and any of the various cough syrups that you have. Don't abuse the medicine though. Elevating the pillow also MIGHT help relieving some of the cough in the morning.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:07 AM   #8
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Here ya go

http://www.himalayaninstitute.org/Ne...tructions.aspx

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:11 AM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
How would you describe the cough?

Definitely see a doctor. Coughing and the respiratory system is not a thing to mess around with, especially since you get it in the morning. Many medications are not OTC anyway. In the meantime, drink hot tea, eat cough drops, and any of the various cough syrups that you have. Don't abuse the medicine though. Elevating the pillow also MIGHT help relieving some of the cough in the morning.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try and describe. It's a kind of chesty cough that often happens when I take a 'deep breath' and when it does happen I can't stop coughing for a often many minutes. It happened earlier this evening and I went to grab a drink of water, this seemed to make it worse in some ways, in that it seemed to penitrate my throat and make it more irritable. (only whilst coughing...drinking and breathing normally don't have any affect).

I elevated the pillow (well, added more pillows at least) last night as it's helped on previous occasions and I remember that's what my Mum used to tell me to do when I was a child, lol. I must admit I am getting a little worried about it now as I can't ever recall a 'cold' like this before. It started like a typical cold, but the blocked nose and soar throat have sinse cleared up, and all that's left is this cough! I had a Flu vacination a few weeks ago, could that have affected me in this way?

Last edited by Cliffy : 11-13-2007 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:20 AM   #10
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Thanks for the advice. I'll try and describe. It's a kind of chesty cough that often happens when I take a 'deep breath' and when it does happen I can't stop coughing for a often many minutes. It happened earlier this evening and I went to grab a drink of water, this seemed to make it worse in some ways, in that it seemed to penitrate my throat and make it more irritable. (only whilst coughing...drinking and breathing normally don't have any affect).

I elevated the pillow (well, added more pillows at least) last night as it's helped on previous occasions and I remember that's what my Mum used to tell me to do when I was a child, lol. I must admit I am getting a little worried about it now as I can't ever recall a 'cold' like this before. It started like a typical cold, but the blocked nose and soar throat have sinse cleared up, and all that's left is this cough! I had a Flu vacination a few weeks ago, could that have affected me in this way?

Interestingly, from the first post it sounds like you are describing typical asthma symptoms (coughing in the morning, coughing after a deep breath, "cold-like symptoms" turning into just coughing, etc). Since if you would have had asthma, I'm sure you would have mentioned it, I'm guessing you didn't have it while growing up? Still, it is possible that you are developing "latent asthma". It is, however, not very common.

A flu vaccine (providing it was the typical muscular injectiction kind) is basically the "killed" virus itself injected into you. Therefore, it can produce flu-like symptoms (this is the danger with any vaccine, albeit a small one). However, it has been three weeks so, once again, it doesn't sound like that should be the cause of many problems.

More than likely it's either a minor inflammation or infection of the lungs after a cold that can be easily taken care of with an antibiotic. I would seriously suggest you go see a doctor. Would you drive a car with faulty brakes? The doctor can conduct various tests and, most importantly, use a stethoscope to listen to you breathing. I can't do that over the internet and, honestly, probably don't know enough yet to correctly diagnose to 99% certainty even if I could.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:40 AM   #11
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

I usually just ride it out and enjoy having an excuse to lounge around in sweats, drink soup, and watch the price is right.

If you need it gone though, a humidifier might help. I shut my room's door and put it on all night. Usually by the morning if feels like all of my mucus (sp?) has broken up.

I might be wrong on this, but I think it is impossible to cure a cold because the germs of the common cold are constantly mutating, meaning if the made a cure for it the germs would have already changed and be immune to it. You can cover up the symptoms though.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:31 AM   #12
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
I usually just ride it out and enjoy having an excuse to lounge around in sweats, drink soup, and watch the price is right.

If you need it gone though, a humidifier might help. I shut my room's door and put it on all night. Usually by the morning if feels like all of my mucus (sp?) has broken up.

I might be wrong on this, but I think it is impossible to cure a cold because the germs of the common cold are constantly mutating, meaning if the made a cure for it the germs would have already changed and be immune to it. You can cover up the symptoms though.

Although there are various methods, drugs, etc. for "helping" against the cold and making people feel better when they have it, since it is viral related, it is impossible to actually cure it. All of that is very useful for someone that definitely has the cold.

However, we can't be really sure that Cliffy indeed has the cold. If it's a bacterial infection, sitting around and waiting won't be a very good idea which is why I suggested he see a doctor. They do get paid for something.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:06 AM   #13
thefonz
CF Addict

White lightning and honey. Doesn't cure anything, but does cut back on the coughing for a spell.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:34 AM   #14
newyorker
MXman

WOW Nissan_Altima FINALLY proved to be useful and informative!! Congrats man, if you can just do that more often, or not argue all the time that would be great.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:45 AM   #15
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quit whining and wait it out. Seriously though, don't run to the doctor because you have a cough. It happens...and sadly its happening more and more (to a higher degree and potency) because people run to the doctor and get antibiotics. We surely are a generation of fast fixes and easy remedies aren't we?

Take some cold medicine (with a decongestant) and yeah as Fonz said, get some White Lightning, lol. If you get worse or it last for longer than 7-10 days, then see your doctor. Also consider increasing your daily dose of Vitamin C, Zinc and though not scientifically proven, Echinacea. hese will help support your immune system and fight off whatever is causing your troubles.

On another note, what the hell kind of Twilight Zone did I step into? NYer is repairing other people's cars for money and Nissan is giving medical advice?
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote