Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
dayexday
CF Newbie

removing car scratch

Hello,

I am badly in need of help. I scraped my father's car against a pole. I have to fix it in a week or less before he comes back and sees it. If he sees it... I dont want to know what will happen if he sees it. I don't have enough money to have it professionally taken care of. I attached pictures so you can see the damage.

Does someone know how I can go about taking care of it and how much it would cost to buy the materials? The more details the better. a step by step instruction guide would be fantastic. Any help is greatly appreciated. My life is in your hands!

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p_00053.JPG (85.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg p_00052.jpg (98.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg p_00051.jpg (94.2 KB, 10 views)
dayexday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:04 AM   #2
adamc44
CF Freak

heres what I would do, if thats white paint, go get some 3m adhesive remover and go over it. then depending on the severity of the scratches, you might have to compound and buff it or get by with just waxing it. as for the door, i would take some 3m adhesive remover, hit the handle with it to try to remove the paint, if it doesnt all come off and fades the door handle, then go to an automotive store an buy some matching automotive carpet dye spray paint, tape off the door handle, and shoot it lightly letting it dry each time so it doesnt run.

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
dayexday
CF Newbie

Thanks for the reply adam.
So the white is the paint from the pole? that makes sense, the pole is white... I actually thought the white was the underlying color after the paint from my car was scraped off... but now that i think about it, it doesnt make much sense that the underlying metal is white.
So the first step is to get 3m adhesive remover to remove the white paint?

Last edited by dayexday : 11-21-2007 at 06:36 PM.
dayexday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:58 PM   #4
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

I suggest you grow up and man up. Lying about scratching a car is worse than scratching a car. Trust is one of the most valuable things out there, and there's only one way to get it.

Look at people you idolize. Would they be a little bitch and try to hide this, or would they man up, tell their dad, accept the punishment they deserved, and work to pay to have the scratch professionally fixed?

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:32 AM   #5
adamc44
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayexday
Thanks for the reply adam.
So the white is the paint from the pole? that makes sense, the pole is white... I actually thought the white was the underlying color after the paint from my car was scraped off... but now that i think about it, it doesnt make much sense that the underlying metal is white.
So the first step is to get 3m adhesive remover to remove the white paint?

yea, if that doesnt remove it id try some lacquer thinner, but id say the 3m should do it.

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:36 AM   #6
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Honestly, I'd own up. Reason being, it clearly sounds like you have no experience in the field so doing this can further mess up the paint of the car. If you do a bad job, it will be horribly noticeable. Think of it this way: would your father be madder if you scratched a pole and told him about it and then got the money to get it fixed or tried to lie about it and fix it yourself and made it look worse.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote