Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2007, 03:05 AM   #16
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Umm...they dont come to me, I go to them. And FYI, if I know that I cant fix something, I dont bother going out but just tell them that I cant help them in the particular situation.

have i completely lost the ability to read or was your previous post discussing going out to look at a cd player that you might not be able to fix?
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:12 AM   #17
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
have i completely lost the ability to read or was your previous post discussing going out to look at a cd player that you might not be able to fix?
In fairness to him, that situation is different. It's a girl who owns the CD player.....
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:22 AM   #18
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-
 
Mathew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
My rule is simple, and I tell everyone whos car I work on the same thing.

"If I know I cant fix the problem, I will not try to fix it because I dont want to make it worse. If I do undertake fixing something, and do not fix it, I dont charge."

Why would I have people throw me money for things I cannot do, thats bad business practice. I am always honest with people, and never have scammed someone when it comes to money and never will, because I am a fair person. I just had a woman named Ashley call me, she said her VW cabrio has a jammed cartridge in the cd changer slot because she put it in backwards. Its a 40 minute drive to get there, and I told her "If I cannot fix the problem, I obviously will not charge you for it." Honesty and integrity like that is what makes people come back to you in the future, and give positive recomendations to their friends, so in turn, while I may not make money tomorrow (hopefully I will because its a fairly simple job), I will leave her house with a good reputation, and may likely get her business in the future.

Wait a minute here....you run a car repair business? What are your credentials? Do you pay taxes? Offer warranties? WTF?
__________________
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:27 AM   #19
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Wait a minute here....you run a car repair business? What are your credentials? Do you pay taxes? Offer warranties? WTF?

I'll answer on his behalf. His credentials are that he's a lieng moron that has no idea what he's talking about. Even if this is somehow, unbelievably true, I'm not sure who'd be dumber: him or the people offering him their cars.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:52 AM   #20
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
I'll answer on his behalf. His credentials are that he's a lieng moron that has no idea what he's talking about. Even if this is somehow, unbelievably true, I'm not sure who'd be dumber: him or the people offering him their cars.
LOL...thats why you had me help you pull the stereo out of your old altima...cause you couldnt turn a screwdriver if your life depended on it

you cant even spell the word lying correctly, yet im a moron...hmm
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:05 AM   #21
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
just to shut this conversation and have everyone stop bitching


yea i posted her name wrong originally, similar names close enough to get confused

and another



and a followup from allison and a reply
shut the **** up guys



yes mike, I am totally lieng
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:19 AM   #22
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
just to shut this conversation and have everyone stop bitching

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/3827/32059227lw2.jpg
yea i posted her name wrong originally, similar names close enough to get confused

and another
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2745/70561629rh3.jpg


and a followup from allison and a reply
shut the **** up guys

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/9092/17931830pd3.jpg

yes mike, I am totally lieng
I found your ad on craigslist lol
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:22 AM   #23
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
I'll answer on his behalf. His credentials are that he's a moron that has no idea what he's talking about. Even if this is true, I'm not sure who'd be dumber: him or the people offering him their cars.

It's not get into an education battle...

...I have edited my post and have retracted my previous comment regarding your honesty. Everything else still stands. I'm sorry but this idea just spells trouble. I'm also not certain how legal it is to start a car-repair business with no license or certification. I'm also not certain what constitutes a "car-repair business." This doesn't sound legal to me but I honestly can't argue because business isn't my thing.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:23 AM   #24
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
hey look...a certain lieng moron is the official Technical Assistant on another board



oh look...the moron is helping more people



and look...super mods asking me to help write FAQs...yea I must be SOME idiot



**** this board. people dont apretiate shit. I take my time to try to help people, and have to listen to morons question my every word, even when they dont have the slightest clue. no more efforts to help on my part...
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:26 AM   #25
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
It's not get into an education battle...

...I have edited my post and have retracted my previous comment regarding your honesty. Everything else still stands. I'm sorry but this idea just spells trouble. I'm also not certain how legal it is to start a car-repair business with no license or certification. I'm also not certain what constitutes a "car-repair business." This doesn't sound legal to me but I honestly can't argue because business isn't my thing.
Its not a business. Its something to help me pay the bills, im sure you probbably know how it is. Having to pay for temple as well, I need all the money I can get, so doing little side jobs for things that I am familiar with, why not. Its not the first time I have charged someone for work on their car, and the liability I try to reduce risk as much as possible by not approaching jobs that I am not 100% sure on how to do.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:36 AM   #26
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Just got another email from the 2000 prelude "misfiring". I asked if the car is "acting strange or the light keeps coming on"



and I did exactly what I said before. Now lets all move on

BTW chris, did you notice that in one pic I posted, I have you in my gmail address book?? lol i still remember I was sending you torrent stuff for Need for Speed: Most Wanted.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:48 AM   #27
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Just got another email from the 2000 prelude "misfiring". I asked if the car is "acting strange or the light keeps coming on"

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5462/59579980md6.jpg

and I did exactly what I said before. Now lets all move on

BTW chris, did you notice that in one pic I posted, I have you in my gmail address book?? lol i still remember I was sending you torrent stuff for Need for Speed: Most Wanted.
Yeah, I remember lol...I pretty much learned how to crack all future games from that lol.

Also, just because there are no visible problems, that doesn't mean the CEL is on for no reason. It's better to get the codes and fix it early, when it's a $50 problem, than later on, when it's a $500 problem.
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:55 AM   #28
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Yeah, I remember lol...I pretty much learned how to crack all future games from that lol.

Also, just because there are no visible problems, that doesn't mean the CEL is on for no reason. It's better to get the codes and fix it early, when it's a $50 problem, than later on, when it's a $500 problem.
he said he had it diagnosed, and it says its a misfire. he has already replaced spark plugs, wires, had a valve adjustment becuase honda told him so, and every time something gets fixed the code comes back

he said the light came on first after 75 miles of driving the car after he got it used

then 7500 after the valve adjustment
he said that the car doesnt act funny
i gave him a cheap fix to try (yes 2 dollars is cheap), but i didnt tell him anytihng else or warranty anything, so anything else he decides to replace wasnt by my suggestions, and wont be done by me, so i am not liable for the outcomes.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:56 AM   #29
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by What
In other words, you don't know. You should tell the customer that you don't know what is causing their light to come on and you can't help them because you don't have a device to pull the codes...nor can you read codes. In this situation you should suggest they go to a real mechanic. If you really cared about your "customers" that's what you would tell them. To me it seems you are trying to retain credibility instead of admitting your limitations.


This thread really is about you.
He has been to a mechanic, as well as Honda. he didnt have the code available for me. I told him if he could go to advance auto parts they could pull it for free and I could find out more, but the person doesnt seem to want to do it...id like to help, but I cant, thats where it ends

ok im tired of screen dumps...my reply to his original email

plug wires changed?
distributor?
did you retard or advance the timing?

Does the car feel like its running normally or was there ever a misfire? Have you tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery? if so, does the light come back on? when it comes on, can you feel a misfire (usually happens on startup, you will feel it for sure). for the intake are you running a breather filter, or a vaccum line? who installed the intake, a shop? if it was you or a friend, are you sure they did it right?

If you want to come down here on thursday, almost anytime (8-11 pm i have a car meet so that wont work), just give me a call in advance and let me know. Also, let me know if you have the stock intake setup. I am not too familiar with the H22 motor, but I can take a look and let you know what I find, wont cost you anything unless I actually fix the problem, which we wont know until the CEL pops up again or not.

One thing I need for sure is if you can get the CEL code. It will look like P4301 or something of the likes. If this is unavailable, take a drive to advance auto parts and have them plug the car up and give you the code, its free, email it to me and il look around. There are numerous misfire codes.


his response..i got the mileage a bit mixed in my last post

Alex Thanks for getting back.
The car has a leather interior so there is some upgraded trim pkg on it
Its 5 speed manual
73,000 miles
Bought the car with the cold air intake. Former owner also changed the wires, not sure what else he did re distributor or timing.
It was probably after the first 75 miles that I had it the CEL has come on. It has been reset after others have tried to resolve. dealer thought valves had to be adjusted which they did about 10,000 mile ago and that kept the cel off for a couple of months. Local mechanic changed spark plugs about 5000 miles ago and that kept the cel off for a couple of months also.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.


Last edited by newyorker : 11-14-2007 at 05:59 AM.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:47 AM   #30
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
just to shut this conversation and have everyone stop bitching
Yep, you sure showed us!!

I hate to tell you champ, but none of that aids your argument at all....
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.