Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2007, 10:44 PM   #61
newyorker
MXman

The way I see it is this

The ad has been up for a few days now. If there was in fact a problem, one of the following would have happened

Craigslist moderators would have removed it
users would have flagged it
I would have been contacted by
a. authorities
b. shops
c. craigslist

None of the following has happened so far. Furthermore, I know I am not an ASE tech, but to make it clear, a lot of the people who work at local shops arent techs either. I am pretty sure the owners would be because I think you need a licence to open a shop, and I know for a fact that the techs who work at dealerships are all ASE certified, but as far as the wrench turners who work at local mechanic's shops, I dont think they are certified...they dont get paid enough to go through the certification process and have it be worthwhile in the end because they only make about 10 an hour. However, they might be exempt because they work under an ASE tech, im not sure how that all works.

If in fact someone does contact me (authorities, shops, craigslist), the ad will come down and wont be posted again.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:06 PM   #62
newyorker
MXman

here is what i found out so far I am ES1 the others are friends of mine who know mechanics personally i just shortened the screennames

ES1 (4:30:37 PM): yo
ES1 (4:30:54 PM): http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/aos/476880261.html is that legal for me to post?? some people are telling me its not
263 (4:36:44 PM): no insurance
263 (4:36:50 PM): u can get ****ed
263 (4:36:55 PM): u can do it
263 (4:37:04 PM): but u would be personally liable
ES1 (4:33:30 PM): i mean i have got emails already from people
ES1 (4:33:40 PM): and it was stuff i dindt know how to do so i told em that
ES1 (4:34:10 PM): its not like im lying to people, nor am i taking on jobs that i cant do and then guessing my way thru
ES1 (4:34:23 PM): technically, is it legal for me to do or illegal??
263 (4:38:35 PM): in other words if u do an oil change and they **** up there car by fooling with it them selves and blow a mototr they can come back at you
263 (4:38:41 PM): yes it is
263 (4:38:46 PM): legal yes it is
ES1 (4:35:10 PM): ok
ES1 (4:35:12 PM): cool

and another

ES1 (4:29:48 PM): yo
ES1 (4:29:53 PM): do you know anything about mechanics
65 (4:35:54 PM): yeah lopl
65 (4:35:55 PM): lol*
ES1 (4:32:23 PM): http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/aos/476880261.html is that legal for me to post? some people said i could get shit for it
65 (4:36:46 PM): no your fine
65 (4:36:48 PM): its not illegal
65 (4:36:57 PM): your not saying your ASE certified or anything that your not
65 (4:36:59 PM): so its fine
ES1 (4:34:28 PM): ok
ES1 (4:34:29 PM): cool

Old 11-15-2007, 11:11 PM   #63
newyorker
MXman

Also, this saturday a car club I am in is holding an all out car show in the memory of officer chuck cassidy who was shot and killed on duty in philadelphia. there will be police at the show from several districts so I will talk to some officers and ask them what they think.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:48 PM   #64
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
and on that note, i wasnt aware of these laws.
ignorance is not a defence unfortunately.

are you declaring your income to your IRS? ..... probably illegal then. And saying that 10 year olds do it doesn't make it more legal.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:56 PM   #65
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
are you declaring your income to your IRS? ..... probably illegal then. And saying that 10 year olds do it doesn't make it more legal.
Those are the laws I was reffering to. 10 year olds don't matter because to the best of my knowledge they don't pay any income tax.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:56 PM   #66
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
ignorance is not a defence unfortunately.

what income?? i havent made a dollar. once I start getting paid (if this all goes through), then yes, I will fill it out on my tax forms at the appropriate time.

lets see though. waiters, valet parking attendants, bartenders....do they report their tips too?? majority dont. Ive kept track of my tips from valet so I can fill it all out, as much as I am unhappy that lazy people who **** all day to make more lazy assholes and buy drugs are getting my tax dollars through social security. I really hope the system is changed or thrown out.

i dont see why tips from work should be reported though. you should have to report only your income, the tips are just what people "choose to give you"...thats like me having to report it in my taxes if my dad gives me 10 dollars to mow the lawn (which would never happen cause i do it for free, but the IRS might still consider it as "income")

retarded system really. however, me being only 19, i wont have that many customers, so i wont make that much money from this anyway...a few tax dollars wont change anytihng, especially seeing as I have another job (soon to be 2 other jobs) and am doing this because I like to, not because I have no money elsewhere...a few extra dollars doing something you like doesnt hurt though

Last edited by newyorker : 11-16-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:08 AM   #67
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
what income?? i havent made a dollar. once I start getting paid (if this all goes through), then yes, I will fill it out on my tax forms at the appropriate time.
fair enough then

Quote:
lets see though. waiters, valet parking attendants, bartenders....do they report their tips too?? majority dont
Irrelevant argument again. Just because other people do it, doesn't make it legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Those are the laws I was reffering to. 10 year olds don't matter because to the best of my knowledge they don't pay any income tax.
I realise that... but he can't claim legality by proving that he's not breaking 1 law. You've got to not break ANY.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:17 AM   #68
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:

lets see though. waiters, valet parking attendants, bartenders....do they report their tips too?? majority dont. Ive kept track of my tips from valet so I can fill it all out, as much as I am unhappy that lazy people who **** all day to make more lazy assholes and buy drugs are getting my tax dollars through social security. I really hope the system is changed or thrown out.

i dont see why tips from work should be reported though. you should have to report only your income, the tips are just what people "choose to give you"...thats like me having to report it in my taxes if my dad gives me 10 dollars to mow the lawn (which would never happen cause i do it for free, but the IRS might still consider it as "income")

retarded system really. however, me being only 19, i wont have that many customers, so i wont make that much money from this anyway...a few tax dollars wont change anytihng, especially seeing as I have another job (soon to be 2 other jobs) and am doing this because I like to, not because I have no money elsewhere...a few extra dollars doing something you like doesnt hurt though
o you not have to only pay tax on income after it exceeds a certain amount? Over here you have to exceed 6,500 per year (ish) before you have to pay tax on it.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:27 AM   #69
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
o you not have to only pay tax on income after it exceeds a certain amount? Over here you have to exceed 6,500 per year (ish) before you have to pay tax on it.
You may be right, I remember when I started working just after I turned 14 I didn't have to pay taxes for a few years, so I was thinking it was an age thing. Your way makes more sense though, so it's probably done that way her too.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:28 AM   #70
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
fair enough then

Irrelevant argument again. Just because other people do it, doesn't make it legal.

I realise that... but he can't claim legality by proving that he's not breaking 1 law. You've got to not break ANY.
Youre right. Im really not sure what these "laws" are about my operation. I am not advertising under false credentials or anything of the likes, other than that its just liability (if i break something i pay for it), which I am in realization of, and lessen my chances of breaking something by only agreeing to jobs that I am 100% sure of, where my chances of breaking something will be slim to none (yes ive said this numerous times). Anyway, moving on. Im personally not worried about this, because if something were a problem, my post would have been removed at this point, but I am still getting emails from people, unfortunately most of which I have to say "no" to.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:29 AM   #71
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
yeah, but you still have to declare it....
Old 11-16-2007, 01:29 AM   #72
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
so the first 6500 is tax free?? then again, the people that dont have to pay taxes at all in the UK are probbably very poor or homeless...ive been there, and I cant see how anyone can survive on 6500 a year

Old 11-16-2007, 02:42 AM   #73
chris_knows
๑۩۞

There's different tax brackets in the U.S. too. I don't know if age plays any role.

Click here

I think age would come into play, because 10% is on $0-$7,000, so probably 18+ pays taxes.

I always thought $7,000 income was at the poverty line and was tax free, guess I was wrong.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:36 AM   #74
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
American income tax law is a PITA.
What's PITA?
Old 11-16-2007, 04:49 AM   #75
KNTRDR
CF Newbie

Pain In The Ass.