Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2007, 07:53 AM   #1
GGtc4
CF Newbie

Hard Choice

hey people... im new to this website but not to car forums in general. i found this web site because i wanted an unbias answer to the three cars im thinking of getting next. i currently drive an 06 scion tc. its nice but in the spring i want to upgrade... heres the tricky part being a big car lover we all know that well always wonder about another car and how it would be in that... but ive narrowed it down to three i like all three equally and i know all the ups downs prices and specs on them but its to hard to choose

1 06 Pontiac Gto
2 05 Subaru Sti
3 05 BMW m3

any input from car owners or anyone just looking at them driving down the road would help thanks
GGtc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

Heres my opinion on the 3. I have driven a 2nd gen M3. Never a GTO. I have driven a WRX, not an STI.

GTO-

Good:
Very powerful
Lots of potential
Nice car all around

Bad:
A bit heavy
Exterior is a bit basic

WRX STI-

Good:
Pretty quick
AWD (if your in snowy area)

Bad:
Cheap interior
Very young following
AWD (if you drive on highways like 99% of us, gas $$$)

BMW M3-

Good:
Always elegant
Most recent gen is very fast, 2nd gen not so much
Mature

Bad:
Possible expensive repairs?
Not very much potential compared to the GTO in particular

Thats what I think of them. The M3 is a real keeper, something you will be happy to have in 10 years. The GTO has huge performance potential, albeit a bit heavy and basic exterior wise. The STI is pretty quick, but it has a childish body to it.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

I say the m3, if you can afford to buy one, you can afford to maintain it.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudypoochris
Heres my opinion on the 3. I have driven a 2nd gen M3. Never a GTO. I have driven a WRX, not an STI.

GTO-

Good:
Very powerful
Lots of potential
Nice car all around

Bad:
A bit heavy
Exterior is a bit basic

WRX STI-

Good:
Pretty quick
AWD (if your in snowy area)

Bad:
Cheap interior
Very young following
AWD (if you drive on highways like 99% of us, gas $$$)

BMW M3-

Good:
Always elegant
Most recent gen is very fast, 2nd gen not so much
Mature

Bad:
Possible expensive repairs?
Not very much potential compared to the GTO in particular

Thats what I think of them. The M3 is a real keeper, something you will be happy to have in 10 years. The GTO has huge performance potential, albeit a bit heavy and basic exterior wise. The STI is pretty quick, but it has a childish body to it.
really dipshit...what in the world makes you assume that?? also why are you giving him your opinion on an STi when you have never driven one

OP if you can afford a new M3, you can afford a newer than 05 STi, and that would be my choice...great car all around and if you will fall in love with the chassis and AWD when you drive it. GL, get the STi
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
really dipshit...what in the world makes you assume that?? also why are you giving him your opinion on an STi when you have never driven one

OP if you can afford a new M3, you can afford a newer than 05 STi, and that would be my choice...great car all around and if you will fall in love with the chassis and AWD when you drive it. GL, get the STi

even if you have driven these cars yourself, you've never left the parking lot with them, so what would make your opinion valid?

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:19 PM   #6
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
even if you have driven these cars yourself, you've never left the parking lot with them, so what would make your opinion valid?
Actually a guy I work with has an STi that I drove, and I drove my friend's dad's m3...i havent driven the GTO nor do I really want to...do you have anything to add or you just wana talk blind shit?

Old 11-25-2007, 11:28 PM   #7
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
do you have anything to add or do you just wanna talk blind shit?

fixed

don't worry, junior... i'm not trying to steal your "talking blind shit" crown here...

if you're done hurling contradictory statements for a second, what about this?

Quote:
really dipshit...what in the world makes you assume that?? also why are you giving him your opinion on an STi when you have never driven one?

Quote:
Actually a guy I work with has an STi that I drove, and I drove my friend's dad's m3...i havent driven the GTO nor do I really want to...

Quote:

so where do you get off recommending one car of three when you've only driven 2 of them under limited conditions and your closed ricer mind won't let you even attempt to like the third?

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:47 PM   #8
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGtc4
1 06 Pontiac Gto
2 05 Subaru Sti
3 05 BMW m3

Everything depends on what you want, really. If you are very power hungry, I'd grab the GTO. If you have a family and/or looking for a 4-door vehicle and/or some backseat space, the Sti is a nice bet. The Sti is also the car for someone with tough winters. Finally, if you're looking for a sporty luxury, the M3 is the definite bet.

That being said, if you are not buying this for a family, don't live far North, and can maintain M3 repairs, I'd choose that one in a heartbeat. BMW is BMW.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:18 AM   #9
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
fixed

don't worry, junior... i'm not trying to steal your "talking blind shit" crown here...

if you're done hurling contradictory statements for a second, what about this?

so where do you get off recommending one car of three when you've only driven 2 of them under limited conditions and your closed ricer mind won't let you even attempt to like the third?
Because I dont like american cars...or australian ones if you wana nitpick...they do absolutely nothing for me...there was a video of a gto and sti doin a 1/4 mile on edmunds i believe and the gto beat it by like .2 or .1 seconds and they still said that in the corners the sti would eat it, and was a better car overall...plus it wont fall apart like the GTO probbably will...

Nissan_Altima remember when we used to go to denis's house and Sasha was there and his dad had the red GTO auto...does he still have that??

Old 11-26-2007, 01:17 AM   #10
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:
Because I dont like american cars...or australian ones if you wana nitpick...they do absolutely nothing for me...there was a video of a gto and sti doin a 1/4 mile on edmunds i believe and the gto beat it by like .2 or .1 seconds and they still said that in the corners the sti would eat it, and was a better car overall...plus it wont fall apart like the GTO probbably will...

Little or not, it's still faster than the Sti. Considerably more horsepower and torque. Sti would take it in the twisties, but I doubt that's as important to people as straight-line in most cases.

Quote:
Nissan_Altima remember when we used to go to denis's house and Sasha was there and his dad had the red GTO auto...does he still have that??

Yep, still has it. I saw him and it a couple of days ago. Didn't really pay much attention though. He has a bike now too, I heard; but, I'm not sure of anything about it.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:32 AM   #11
GGtc4
CF Newbie

wow i didnt think you guys would get so heated over this... and i know what your saying the bmw is great because you can get performance respect and also be able to valet park it at a nice resteraunt, unlike a worked sti which yes is kinda kidish.. but god its fast as shit ive test driven a couple gtos and i was very impressed with the performance but the fit and dinish wasnt what i thought it would be i dont know what it would be like in the long run also i said 05 sti because im not crazy about the newer 2 bodystyles the 05 is the badest looking one by far... but thanks for all the imput keep it commin
GGtc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:50 AM   #12
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
wow i didnt think you guys would get so heated over this... and i know what your saying the bmw is great because you can get performance respect and also be able to valet park it at a nice resteraunt, unlike a worked sti which yes is kinda kidish.. but god its fast as shit ive test driven a couple gtos and i was very impressed with the performance but the fit and dinish wasnt what i thought it would be i dont know what it would be like in the long run also i said 05 sti because im not crazy about the newer 2 bodystyles the 05 is the badest looking one by far... but thanks for all the imput keep it commin
Yeah, CF is like that...Honestly, there have probably been arguments on the pronunciation of tomato--stemming from a thread about why VTEC is teh best.

All of those cars you listed are great, and none will disappoint you.

Basically, everything has been discussed already:
Pontiac GTO - Sometimes not the best build quality, but TORQUE.
Subaru STi - AWD = better handling, 4-door = better for carrying friends/family, ample power.
BMW M3 - Powerful, relatively luxurious, status symbol, power, but a huge problem is the high cost of maintenance.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:59 AM   #13
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
AHAHAHAHAHA omg this is exactly what i keep telling people...american cars are just not built to a high standard anymore. I would get the STi, but I am 19...STi is the winner in my mind.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:01 AM   #14
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Because I dont like american cars...or australian ones if you wana nitpick...
It's not nitpicking.... we're on the other side of the world. ...

Quote:
Because I dont like american cars...or australian ones if you wana nitpick...they do absolutely nothing for me...
Don't give your opinion on them then.

If you want to give your opinion in this thread, make sure you preface it by saying : "out of the M3 and the STI ..."
Otherwise you're being a hypocrite. If Mathew can't respond with an opinion of a car he hasn't driven, you can't make a comparison of another car versus one you haven't driven. Why you haven't driven it is completely immaterial at this point.
I don't care that you don't like GTO's, but don't judge them in this thread while bagging someone else for judging a car they haven't driven.

Please tell me you're smart enough to see the contradiction here??

Personally, I have driven none of those cars, but I think any of them could be a world of fun. They all have pros/cons in different areas, so it's just a matter of what aspects of the car appeals to you most. Maybe make a bit of a wish-list for what you want out of the car. (eg: stylish, fast, powerful, loud, re-sale value, roomy, etc etc...) then look at which car satisfies your higher priorities the best.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:02 AM   #15
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
american cars are just not built to a high standard anymore. I
you really struggle with the concept of an Australian car, don't you?