Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2007, 07:19 AM   #1
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Vancouver Tasering Incident

I don't know how widespread this story is, so I'll fill in anyone who doesn't know.

A few weeks ago, the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) were called into Vancouver International Airport to handle a distressed Polish immigrant. They ended up shooting him with a taser twice and it killed him. This has become a huge controversial issue here in Vancouver, as to whether the cops use of force was necessary. The police have been accused of changing the story, and trying to hide what really happened. It has been on the news everyday since.

A civillian at the airport filmed the entire thing. The police immediately seized the video for evidence. However, the civillian threatened legal action if he didn't get the footage back. So he got it back and it was released last night to the media for all to see. First, read the story:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...o.html?ref=rss

Then watch the video: (caution, it is somewhat graphic)

http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/bc/ondem...TASERVIDEO.wmv

What do you think?
Old 11-16-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Hard to say as I see the story being fairly biased in his view. From what I read though, sounds like clear and evident abuse of power. That's nothing new.

EDIT: Just saw the video. It's not so clear now. He really was agitated which gives police the right to apprehend him. I think two shots was a tad excessive though. I think that guy had a mental problem too. Language barrier or not, that was insane.

Last edited by Nissan_Altima : 11-16-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:02 AM   #3
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

The cops reacted appropriately. A man who was severly agitated, including throwing things around. Nobody could speak his language. Cops are instructed to use whatever force is necessary to subdue the suspect. And sadly, because they couldn't understand his language, there was no way to tell if he was ready to surrender or not. The only thing they really did wrong was kneel on the man after he was tasered. Cops aren't supposed to kneel on them until the suspect has regained complete consciousness, by which point the suspect should already be under arrest.

There's several other small things, but it's not just the cops that are being questioned about them, so I won't even bother talking about them.

Yes, an investigation will definitely occur. Should the cops be charged? I don't think so. There was no intent to kill the suspect.

Edit: I have a local motorclub that has a thread on this that's already past 100 posts...

Last edited by dodgerforlife : 11-16-2007 at 08:09 AM.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Yeah, I heard about it, and think that while it is tragic, the police didn't really have any options. The only thing they did wrong was zap him twice...Not sure if that's what killed him, but it does deserve an investigation.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:21 AM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

As with all situations like this, where serious injury or death occurs, there's going to be an indepth investigation along with some differing views from by-standers etc. The guy clearly either had some sort of mental health issues, or he was very cross with something. I don't see why the couldn't just all jump on him rather than zap him, afterall, he wasn't in possesion of a weapon at this stage...not a visible one at least. I guess they had to sum up the pros and the cons before they acted, and in this case the outcome wasn't too good. It's much like the Stockwell shooting after the 7/7 bombings in London. The Brazilian suspect was scared (supposedly) because he didn't know what the Police were saying, or if they were Police at all. It must be hard to make a life or death decision in a split second, but that's part of the job.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:22 AM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
we have had several controversies concerning cops tasering people in the US as the primary means of subduing a person. Sometimes, you wander how much of this is warranted and how often there is no other way to deal with the person. Of the old fashioned way of subduing a person was to use a club and knock the crap out of the person. Of course this lead to incidents as well.
They really couldn't use clubs, though. If you look at the video, he was throwing chairs and stuff...

Cliffy, he was mad because he had been stuck in that gate for 10 hours I believe (after a 14 hour flight), and he couldn't have had a weapon; he's in an airport.

Last edited by chris_knows : 11-17-2007 at 02:24 AM.
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:34 AM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
...and he couldn't have had a weapon; he's in an airport.
That really doesn't mean a thing in this day and age, lol.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:35 AM   #8
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
That really doesn't mean a thing in this day and age, lol.
That means everything...especially...in this day and age lol. Nowadays, it seems like you can't get on an airplane without getting a proctology exam .
Old 11-17-2007, 03:56 AM   #9
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
That means everything...especially...in this day and age lol. Nowadays, it seems like you can't get on an airplane without getting a proctology exam .

plastic explosives in the shoe ftw. It's not THAT hard to have weapons hidden.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:04 AM   #10
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
plastic explosives in the shoe ftw. It's not THAT hard to have weapons hidden.
I could see it being a threat in the cops' position on the spot, but in hindsight, the Polish guy would have more likely used the explosives on the plane rather than in the terminal...
Old 11-17-2007, 05:04 AM   #11
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

You know the ****ed up part?

If the cops had tasered him and hadn't died.....there wouldn't be a PEEP of this on any news network. They would have been applauded for successfully apprehending the suspect.

Only because he died did it became such a widespread news topic.

Now imagine this was south of the border.....and it was a muslim. *BOOM* Headshot.

Just some food for thought.