Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Ferrari SUV?!?

Apparently Ferrari are set to copy Porsche. Looks very similar, too! Yep, they plan on making an SUV. I have copy/pasted the following article from my usual source...

Clicky! for picy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Express
Your eyes are not deceiving you Ė this SUV has a prancing horse on the bonnet. In a move set to cause a stir across the world, Ferrari is considering putting its famous name to a rival for the Porsche Cayenne.

Called project F151, the prospect of a Ferrari SUV will cause uproar with car enthusiasts across the globe. However, the firmís bosses have watched the success of Porscheís 4x4 with interest, and want to increase profits.

With a practical interior, estate car luggage capacity and rough-road ability, the model would open the Ferrari range up to a huge new customer base. Still in its early stages, the project is yet to be given the green light by bosses nervous of tarnishing Ferrariís legendary brand image. Our shots shows what the classy off-roader could look like in showroom-ready trim. At around five metres long and two metres wide, the jacked-up Ferrari would offer luxurious transport for five passengers to travel in style.

While designers face the challenge of making the Ferrari beautiful, engineers have to make it live up to the firmís dynamic reputation. Powerplants are yet to be finalised, but itís thought that the Ferrari will be offered with a choice of V8 and V12 engines from the firmís existing stable.

The four-wheel-drive transmission will be a more difficult challenge. With no system of its own available, Ferrari is expected to develop existing technology borrowed from another car maker, with Mercedes the hot favourite.

A cheaper alternative would be to use Ferrariís own rear-drive 612 Scaglietti platform. Coupled to a hi-tech traction control system, the running gear could be set up to cope with off-road conditions, but itís most likely the maker would focus on class-leading handling.

While an SUV from sister firm Maserati was planned, bosses have shelved that idea in favour of a Ferrari 4x4 with a higher price tag. Buyers will be asked to pay well in excess of £100,000. If the F151 gets the go-ahead, the Ferrari will be revealed in concept form in 2010 before going on sale a year later.
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:20 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
I'm not going to believe that until Ferrari says something about it.

It looks way too similar to the Cayenne, so I'm doubtful.
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:26 AM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I'm not going to believe that until Ferrari says something about it.

It looks way too similar to the Cayenne, so I'm doubtful.
Stranger things have happened....Or have they? I have a sneaky feeling that if it is produced, there will be alot of part swapping going on! I'm not so sure about the AWD system though....I think Porsche would be a safer bet than Mercedes
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
elchango36
WWJCD
 
elchango36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Last year @ SIUC
Posts: 2,122
I smell BS! Anybody can see that's nothing but a photoshopped 599 GTB Fiorano.
__________________
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
I smell BS! Anybody can see that's nothing but a photoshopped 599 GTB Fiorano.
It's not an official picture, and nobody said it was a photo....It's just what they predict it would look like if produced. I guess info is gained from insiders etc.
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
elchango36
WWJCD
 
elchango36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Last year @ SIUC
Posts: 2,122
Ferrari will never make an SUV! Blasphemy!
__________________
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:50 AM   #7
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
Ferrari will never make an SUV! Blasphemy!

Thats what Porsche said right before the Tuareg rolled out onto the assembly line and pre-sold like hotcakes. Don't ever you doubt the greedy intentions of wealthy businessmen. Its an unhealthy practice that will lead you to many years of sorrow and confusion.

But don't take it from me, go ahead and put your faith in the automobile market. Its as stable as can ever be....
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:06 AM   #8
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Did you know that ferrari made an estate wagon?? Only 2 of them I believe its called the 456 Estate
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:15 AM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Did you know that ferrari made an estate wagon?? Only 2 of them I believe its called the 456 Estate
Yes, this?

__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:25 AM   #10
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL
 
Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,106
Looks to me like a Fiorano and a CX9 met.

Theyd have to do something revolutionary for an SUV for me to not loose complete faith in ferrari.
__________________
Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:46 PM   #11
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Looks to me like a Fiorano and a CX9 met.

Theyd have to do something revolutionary for an SUV for me to not loose complete faith in ferrari.

I find it increasingly funny how you can have faith in a company's car structure of which non you have owned, nor have you probably ever driven. $250,000 sports cars are a le...hooooong way away from your beloved F-Body's.

I'll stake the odds that Ferrari could make a crappy SUV and still bounce back regardless to what the millions of peons think. Your "faith" in Ferrari. HAH! You have got to kidding me. Thats almost as erroneous as my faith in god...

On second thought, its more erroneous, at least I have a decent chance of being heard by someone it could actually effect.
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:12 AM   #12
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL
 
Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
I find it increasingly funny how you can have faith in a company's car structure of which non you have owned, nor have you probably ever driven. $250,000 sports cars are a le...hooooong way away from your beloved F-Body's.

I'll stake the odds that Ferrari could make a crappy SUV and still bounce back regardless to what the millions of peons think. Your "faith" in Ferrari. HAH! You have got to kidding me. Thats almost as erroneous as my faith in god...

On second thought, its more erroneous, at least I have a decent chance of being heard by someone it could actually effect.

Ive driven 2 ferraris both 360s and sadly I didnt get to drive either of them hard.

In its current and past state, I would never own a ferrari. I like them from a techinical standpoint but wouldnt want to deal with on.

I never said that what I thought of ferrari meant anything, you should You should take a class in reading comprehension.

Apparently by your standards, My comments mean nothing because a F-body and Ferrari are nothing alike. This means, everything you say should be taken as fact, given DSMs are probably the only car less reliable than a ferrari.
__________________
Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:47 AM   #13
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Ive driven 2 ferraris both 360s and sadly I didnt get to drive either of them hard.

In its current and past state, I would never own a ferrari. I like them from a techinical standpoint but wouldnt want to deal with on.

I never said that what I thought of ferrari meant anything, you should You should take a class in reading comprehension.

Apparently by your standards, My comments mean nothing because a F-body and Ferrari are nothing alike. This means, everything you say should be taken as fact, given DSMs are probably the only car less reliable than a ferrari.

You'd never own a Ferrari because you can't afford one. Don't get the facts twisted. GM F-Body's aren't the greatest cars ever created, but you still own one of them even though they can suffer from the same problems that any Ferrari can. Simply because you CAN afford one. They are just cars, nothing more... Again I stress, what would you know about the longevity of something you've never owned?

Your comment means nothing because you claimed that you could loose faith in a company that sells things you can't afford. I already stated this. It appears that my reading comprehension isn't subject to approval, rather it is you who needs the validation.

Everything I say should be taken as fact. You should know this seeing as that you're possibly the most knowledgeable person I've ever come in contact with. If and WHEN(theres the key word) I decide to buy a Ferrari, I will make it my greatest concern to contact you for your worthy and valid opinion.
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:50 AM   #14
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL
 
Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
You'd never own a Ferrari because you can't afford one. Don't get the facts twisted. GM F-Body's aren't the greatest cars ever created, but you still own one of them even though they can suffer from the same problems that any Ferrari can. Simply because you CAN afford one. They are just cars, nothing more... Again I stress, what would you know about the longevity of something you've never owned?

Your comment means nothing because you claimed that you could loose faith in a company that sells things you can't afford. I already stated this. It appears that my reading comprehension isn't subject to approval, rather it is you who needs the validation.

Everything I say should be taken as fact. You should know this seeing as that you're possibly the most knowledgeable person I've ever come in contact with. If and WHEN(theres the key word) I decide to buy a Ferrari, I will make it my greatest concern to contact you for your worthy and valid opinion.


I never said my comment meant anything so get off it.

And yes my LT1 may be able to suffer from the same thing as ferrraris troublesome V8s, but they are much less likely too.
Go to 6speedonline and maybe you can get educated or shit go talk to people you know who own ferraris. They will all tell you ferraris ARE NOT RELIABLE.
When was the last time you saw a 200K mile original longblock ferrari that still ran like it was supposed to. Cause I can think of 3 local LT1s with that many miles on stock longblocks. All of these still run great. One of them we did a compression test and leakdown test on last year and it was great,aroud 210 psi across all 8 cylinders. Hes now been spraying a 150 wet shot for something like 11K miles and still kickin.

Whens the last time a ferrari did that. And Im aware they arent driven as much, but you know as well as all of us, they dont last if driven. Lamborghinis at least there V10 are much more maintenace free.

I never claimed my F-body was the greatest car ever created. I like it, thats why I drive it.
__________________
Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:25 PM   #15
m0n0x!de
Banned
 
m0n0x!de's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5
This is the beginning of the end for Ferrari. What's next Ferrari Estate???
m0n0x!de is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.