Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
formalcarz
CF Newbie

Unhappy What's wrong with my brakes? We've fixed Everything!?

Hey everyone. I am so frustrated with my brakes. I have a 96 Nissan Sentra GXE standard brake system, no anti-locks. My dad is really good at fixing on cars. A month ago he fixed my front callipers and rotors and my brake pedal was so firm and my stopping distance was greatly reduced. I was very comfortable and confident driving/braking. Well a week later I had to come to a hard stop to avoid running a red light and then, my brake pedal became soft/spongy/travel to the floor again, my stopping distance was back to the same, having to stop way in advance.

I've taken it to a few places like Midas and CarX and they are saying they dont' see anything wrong, maybe I needed my backs adjusted. Well we did that too. So now, my dad has also replaced my callipers, pads, rear drums and did some adjusting in the back, replaced my master cylinder, we bled the brake lines a good 4 times top, front and back and my pedal is still spongy and it goes down to the floor. I am really upset because I spent money I didn't have on the master cylinder and that wasn't the problem and he assured me that was definitely it. he's thinking now maybe it's the brake booster, but my pedal would be hard, not soft, right? Any suggestions or guesses on what the problem could be? thanks

To add, This happened all of a sudden, not gradually, after I made the hard stop (which mind you was not a screeching stop, just a firm, hard press), the firmness was gone. Now I have to pump the pedal a couple of times to get a better stop. Can there be a stuck caliper possibly? Is this something that can be seen by compressing the brakes and having my dad look at it?

I really don't want to waste anymore money buying parts that are functioning properly.

Thanks guys!!
formalcarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by formalcarz
Hey everyone. I am so frustrated with my brakes. I have a 96 Nissan Sentra GXE standard brake system, no anti-locks. My dad is really good at fixing on cars. A month ago he fixed my front callipers and rotors and my brake pedal was so firm and my stopping distance was greatly reduced. I was very comfortable and confident driving/braking. Well a week later I had to come to a hard stop to avoid running a red light and then, my brake pedal became soft/spongy/travel to the floor again, my stopping distance was back to the same, having to stop way in advance.

I've taken it to a few places like Midas and CarX and they are saying they dont' see anything wrong, maybe I needed my backs adjusted. Well we did that too. So now, my dad has also replaced my callipers, pads, rear drums and did some adjusting in the back, replaced my master cylinder, we bled the brake lines a good 4 times top, front and back and my pedal is still spongy and it goes down to the floor. I am really upset because I spent money I didn't have on the master cylinder and that wasn't the problem and he assured me that was definitely it. he's thinking now maybe it's the brake booster, but my pedal would be hard, not soft, right? Any suggestions or guesses on what the problem could be? thanks

To add, This happened all of a sudden, not gradually, after I made the hard stop (which mind you was not a screeching stop, just a firm, hard press), the firmness was gone. Now I have to pump the pedal a couple of times to get a better stop. Can there be a stuck caliper possibly? Is this something that can be seen by compressing the brakes and having my dad look at it?

I really don't want to waste anymore money buying parts that are functioning properly.

Thanks guys!!
It's quite apparent that you haven't "fixed everything", otherwise the car would be operating properly. What you have done is simply replace a lot of parts no doubt needlessly. The correct answer to your question will not make you happy and I know it's not what you want to hear. But it is what it is and what it is, and it is the truth.

Automotive braking systems are not something to be played with as they are the single most important safety item on your car. I'm sure your father is a nice guy and possibly even a competent parts replacer (he seems to get plenty of practice from your description). But the bottom line here is safety... Not just yours but other road users as well. Take your car to a competent ASE certified professional, let them do their job and diagnose then repair the problem. Expect them to roll their eyes when they see the laundry list of parts you've replaced. If you would have done that to begin with you'd probably still have some money left in your pocket instead of a car with a bunch of unnecessary parts installed.

No, really. I'm serious. Let someone who knows what they're doing repair it before you manage to kill somebody. You're welcome. Have a nice day.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
formalcarz
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
It's quite apparent that you haven't "fixed everything", otherwise the car would be operating properly. What you have done is simply replace a lot of parts no doubt needlessly. The correct answer to your question will not make you happy and I know it's not what you want to hear. But it is what it is and what it is, and it is the truth.

Automotive braking systems are not something to be played with as they are the single most important safety item on your car. I'm sure your father is a nice guy and possibly even a competent parts replacer (he seems to get plenty of practice from your description). But the bottom line here is safety... Not just yours but other road users as well. Take your car to a competent ASE certified professional, let them do their job and diagnose then repair the problem. Expect them to roll their eyes when they see the laundry list of parts you've replaced. If you would have done that to begin with you'd probably still have some money left in your pocket instead of a car with a bunch of unnecessary parts installed.

No, really. I'm serious. Let someone who knows what they're doing repair it before you manage to kill somebody. You're welcome. Have a nice day.

thank you for your response. the parts I've had replaced were what I was told to have replaced by the above car shops, reason I had my calipers and rotors replaced and my problem was resolved. Maybe if you had read my post more than once and held out on the sarcasm, you'd notice that. We didn't just take a wing at it and throw on parts. I took it to these place before replacing the front calipers. Then later, they tell me I need the backs adjusted and drums, did that, etc. I guess we are trying to find out what happened between that hard stop. Maybe something came loose within the brake system. I will be taking it around tomorrow, however, it wouldn't have hurt to get some possible opionions on what it could be. Trust me, last thing I want to do is run into or kill anyone, that's why I'm looking for answers ANY and everywhere buddy, not just on here! And further more, how the heck do you know my car isn't parked outside and I'm NOT drving it. You are just assuming I'm gonna drive it in this condition all over town cruising? The only part that maybe did not need immediate replacing was the cylinder, all other parts were necessary! You so busy flappin' your gums but have no possible guesses, just wanna hear yourself talk. If you have no answers, then why even respond? WTF??? I will have a nice day. You do the same ;-)

Last edited by formalcarz : 11-04-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
thank you for your response. the parts I've had replaced were what I was told to have replaced by the above car shops, reason I had my calipers and rotors replaced and my problem was resolved. I guess we are trying to find out what happened between that hard stop. Maybe something came loose within the brake system. I will be taking it around tomorrow, however, it wouldn't have hurt to get some possible opionions on what it could be. I will have a nice day. You do the same ;-)
Now you're lying to us. Read both of your posts. The facts don't match. According to post 1, the only thing "the shops" told you was "maybe I (you) needed my backs adjusted". In post two you claim that you replaced the parts they told you. What parts need to be replaced to adjust the brakes? If you check the dictionary, replacing and adjusting are not the same. So then your dad went ahead and replaced a long list of parts. So here's my next suggestion for you.

Sit down and get your facts straight. Write a script if you need to. Don't tell stories. I deal with people like you every day and can smell a bullsh*tter a mile away. My livelihood depends on it. And have a nice day.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 11-04-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
formalcarz
CF Newbie

IF anyone else may possibly have any guesses or has experienced such or similar, please respond. I don't have time for e-debates, that doesn't get me off. I am interested in any other possible causes only, PLEASE. Thank you all very much.

Last edited by formalcarz : 11-04-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:25 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
Then lets start (I ignored your earlier posts about what was replaced so we can look @ fundamental causes of spongy pedal/soft pedal)
1. Air in the hydraulic system
2. Leaks (loose hydraulic fittings, cracks, etc in brake lines)
3. Compensating valve malfunction in master cylinder
4. Worn seals between piston and cylinder walls in master cylinder
5. Worn seals between piston and cylinder walls in wheel cylinder
6. Worn seals between piston and cylinder walls in calipers
7. Improperly adjusted drum brakes
8. Misaligned anchor plate
9. Caliper bolts not installed properly
10. worn bushings and other pedal fasteners.
11. Incorrect bleeding procedures (especially with ABS)

If the car is equipped with ABS, then there are possible ABS issues as well is certain bleeding procedures are required.
Apparently you ignored more of the post than just what was replaced. The OP very specifically stated no ABS. That cuts out #11 and your closing note. Besides, she doesn't want information. That would be confusing and inconvenient. She wants guesses. My guess is that she's f*cked until she gets her story straight and has someone who knows something diagnose and repair the car.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:06 AM   #7
formalcarz
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
No ABS would cut out 11 unless these folks did not know how to bleed anykind of brakes to begin with

After reading the list of replaced parts, my ADD must have kicked in.

Another guess would be contaminated brake fluid or incorrect specification brake fluid.

You're right - this persons is looking for guesses instead of paying an hour flat rate labour to have a good shop (not the Midas Touch) or dealer service dept troubleshoot the system

EXCUSE ME? YOU KNOW HOW MUCH DAMN MONEY I'VE WASTED IN THE PAST GOING TO THESE SO CALLED "DEALERS" AND OTHER "PROFESSIONALS" YOU GUYS ARE RECOMMENDING? FOR THEM TO TELL ME THE EXACT SAME THING?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU THINK I HAVEN'T BEEN BACK AND FORTH TO THESE KINDS OF PLACES FOR THEM TO TELL ME NOTHING IS WRONG? YOU GUYS ARE PROBABLY THE SAME GUYS AT THESE PLACES TALKING THE SAME CRAP ONLINE. WHAT'S WRONG WITH LOOKING FOR GUESSES? I THOUGHT MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, SOMEONE HAS KNOWN SOMENE THAT MAY HAVE EXPERIENCED SIMILIAR. I'M NOT SAYING I'M GONNA GO WITH EVERYTING. WE FIXED THE PROBABLE CAUSES WE WERE TOLD. THERE IS SOMETHING THESE PROFESSIONALS ARE NOT SEEING AND WAS HOPING MAYBE SOMEONE ON A """"CAR FORUM""""" (WHICH DOESN'T SEEM TO BE ON HERE) WOULD HAVE AN IDEA. THAT'S ALL. YOU ALL ARE ACTING LIKE I'M ASKING SOMEONE TO FIX IT FOR FREE!!!!! I'LL SPEND WHATEVER I HAVE TO, BUT IF THEY ARE NOT SEEING A PROBLEM, WHY WOULD I CONTINUE TO TAKE MY CAR TO THEM SO THEY CAN KEEP TELLING ME TO REPLACE PARTS?!!!!! AND FOR THE RECORD, YOU ALL ARE NOT READING, I DO NOT HAVE A-B-S, I DO NOT HAVE A-B-S! WHAT THE F*CK! EVIDENTLY THE DIAGNOSTICS AREN'T SHOWING ANYTHING. HOW DARE YOU INSULT ME AND TELL ME WHAT I'M NOT WILLING TO PAY FOR!, JERKS!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:22 AM   #8
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
EXCUSE ME? YOU KNOW HOW MUCH DAMN MONEY I'VE WASTED IN THE PAST GOING TO THESE SO CALLED "DEALERS" AND OTHER "PROFESSIONALS" YOU GUYS ARE RECOMMENDING? FOR THEM TO TELL ME THE EXACT SAME THING?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU THINK I HAVEN'T BEEN BACK AND FORTH TO THESE KINDS OF PLACES FOR THEM TO TELL ME NOTHING IS WRONG? YOU GUYS ARE PROBABLY THE SAME GUYS AT THESE PLACES TALKING THE SAME CRAP ONLINE. WHAT'S WRONG WITH LOOKING FOR GUESSES? I THOUGHT MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, SOMEONE HAS KNOWN SOMENE THAT MAY HAVE EXPERIENCED SIMILIAR. I'M NOT SAYING I'M GONNA GO WITH EVERYTING. WE FIXED THE PROBABLE CAUSES WE WERE TOLD. THERE IS SOMETHING THESE PROFESSIONALS ARE NOT SEEING AND WAS HOPING MAYBE SOMEONE ON A """"CAR FORUM""""" (WHICH DOESN'T SEEM TO BE ON HERE) WOULD HAVE AN IDEA. THAT'S ALL. YOU ALL ARE ACTING LIKE I'M ASKING SOMEONE TO FIX IT FOR FREE!!!!! I'LL SPEND WHATEVER I HAVE TO, BUT IF THEY ARE NOT SEEING A PROBLEM, WHY WOULD I CONTINUE TO TAKE MY CAR TO THEM SO THEY CAN KEEP TELLING ME TO REPLACE PARTS?!!!!! AND FOR THE RECORD, YOU ALL ARE NOT READING, I DO NOT HAVE A-B-S, I DO NOT HAVE A-B-S! WHAT THE F*CK! EVIDENTLY THE DIAGNOSTICS AREN'T SHOWING ANYTHING. HOW DARE YOU INSULT ME AND TELL ME WHAT I'M NOT WILLING TO PAY FOR!, JERKS!

No need to yell...

Instead of replacing what these technicians recommend, get them to do it. It is possible you don't know what you're doing.

So before you waste any more money, take the car to your local Nissan dealer. Tell them your concerns. Tell them to fix it. Pay them the bill. End of story.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

It looks to me as though someone forgot to take their pills... or it's that time of the month.

As a side note, according to this latest rant, this person has "BEEN BACK AND FORTH TO THESE KINDS OF PLACES" with the car. Yet in an earlier post I was chastised for implying that he car was being driven, "...last thing I want to do is run into or kill anyone, that's why I'm looking for answers ANY and everywhere buddy, not just on here! And further more, how the heck do you know my car isn't parked outside and I'm NOT drving it. You are just assuming I'm gonna drive it in this condition all over town cruising?" Once again, the stated facts don't match up. Surprise, we still have a liar amongst us.

Bottom line Sweetie, if you and your daddy knew 10% as much about repairing your car as you give yourselves credit for, the problem would already be taken care of. Three people in this thread have told you to take it to a pro. Two of us are and the other is a very knowledgable non-pro. Maybe if you could dislodge your head from your anus for just a minute it would sink in.

P.S. It makes me laugh when a thickheaded dimwit like you questions my ability. My personal diagnostic/troubleshootong success rate rounded to the nearest .1% is 100%. My comeback rate rounded to the nearest .1% is .3%. For the mentally challenged like you that means essentially all of my diagnostics are correct and I only make a mistake that needs minor re-work on less than 1 out of every 300 cars I repair.

P.P.S. Don't have a nice day. I hope it sucks.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:17 AM   #10
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowpar
I see the Zappa Ass strikes again, it seems he makes friends where ever he goes.

He never helps you with what you need, but seems to make himself look smart by running everyone else down, this is a sign of a very very insecure person, one who beats his wife or girl friend. Or boyfriend I'm guessing,

This would be a great forum if it worked the way us normal people think a helpful forum being, the kind where someone asks a question, and the some one then answers it. I guess this would be to simple and to much to ask for.
He did answer it. What his dad did could be dangerous. Brakes are the most important safety item on cars, and are best left to someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:29 AM   #11
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowpar
, this is a sign of a very very insecure person, one who beats his wife or girl friend. Or boyfriend I'm guessing,
wow... you're pretty inciteful... are you an FBI psychological profiler or something? you should be.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:53 AM   #12
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
wow... you're pretty inciteful... are you an FBI psychological profiler or something? you should be.

i was going to ask if you meant "insightful" but now i'm not so sure you did...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:39 AM   #13
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
i was going to ask if you meant "insightful" but now i'm not so sure you did...
hehe.... i'm using this crappy project management too at the moment called incite .... so i confused myself ...... but the slip seemed to be purely Freudian
Old 11-23-2007, 09:19 AM   #14
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
and the best guess of al is dut dut dut daaaaaa! the most rookie mistake! the one and only! calipers on the wrong side with the bleeder nipples down! man i really wish she would come back and tell me im right lol