Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Sicko

...so, I finally saw the movie on DVD. Better late than never. I'm just wondering about what other people thought about it, if anyone else saw it.

Personally, I stopped believing anything I saw about 25 minutes into it. Everything was too biased, too one-sided, and seemed so fake, staged, and unrealistic. Folks in Canada, UK, etc: do you really like your health system THAT much and is it really that much better?
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:29 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I (a Canadian lol) haven't been to a doctor in over 2 years (the last time was when I got my flu-shot 2 years ago). Other than that, I don't go when I'm really sick for several reasons. The waiting times are excruciatingly high for everything. Doctors are not that well trained (they are paid by the government, so they have caps on how much they can earn), and there aren't that many. I went to a clinic about 8 months ago because I think I hurt myself or something, waited half an hour, saw that the line was not moving, and I just went home. Basically, it's like the DMV.

I haven't seen the movie SiCKO because I really can't stand Michael Moore, but I might check it out, to see why so many people are talking about it. The health-care system isn't too bad; you can visit a doctor whenever you want and virtually everything is free. It's not exactly free, though. Our taxes are A LOT higher than yours on everything from gas (about 50%) to sales (in Ontario sales taxes are 14%!).

That being said, I'm one of the few people that actually support for Canada to go to privatized health-care. From my world-issues class, I think only 2 other people (out of something like 30) want it.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:01 AM   #3
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I (a Canadian lol) haven't been to a doctor in over 2 years (the last time was when I got my flu-shot 2 years ago). Other than that, I don't go when I'm really sick for several reasons. The waiting times are excruciatingly high for everything. Doctors are not that well trained (they are paid by the government, so they have caps on how much they can earn), and there aren't that many. I went to a clinic about 8 months ago because I think I hurt myself or something, waited half an hour, saw that the line was not moving, and I just went home. Basically, it's like the DMV.

Thanks, Chris. That is basically what I was expecting to hear. I have seen non-privatized insurance before and its lack of efficiency but I assumed it might be different in a better-of-economically country like Canada. In the movie, he interviews patients in huge clinics and hospitals, all of which say they have been waiting for 20 minutes or less while American patients have been waiting for 18 hours in America.

I definitely recommend you see it. Even if you don't like it, it'll give you an idea of what people are talking about. I'm not a huge fan of Moore anymore because this documentary is pathetically staged.

Moore [talking to some doctor]: So, I assume you take the bus to the work?
Doctor: "No, I drive a car."
Moore: Beater?
Doctor: Brand new Audi.

So staged!
Old 11-25-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
Thanks, Chris. That is basically what I was expecting to hear. I have seen non-privatized insurance before and its lack of efficiency but I assumed it might be different in a better-of-economically country like Canada. In the movie, he interviews patients in huge clinics and hospitals, all of which say they have been waiting for 20 minutes or less while American patients have been waiting for 18 hours in America.

I definitely recommend you see it. Even if you don't like it, it'll give you an idea of what people are talking about. I'm not a huge fan of Moore anymore because this documentary is pathetically staged.

Moore [talking to some doctor]: So, I assume you take the bus to the work?
Doctor: "No, I drive a car."
Moore: Beater?
Doctor: Brand new Audi.

So staged!
Wait...WTF does what car he drives have anything to do with health-care? It's no secret that doctors are well paid--as they should be, saving people's lives and everything.

I stopped listening to Michael Moore after he called Hillary Clinton hot . I'll check out the movie though.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:07 AM   #5
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Wait...WTF does what car he drives have anything to do with health-care? It's no secret that doctors are well paid--as they should be, saving people's lives and everything.

I stopped listening to Michael Moore after he called Hillary Clinton hot . I'll check out the movie though.

He was showing that doctors, this time in London, get paid just as well as the doctors here despite getting paid by the government and having patients without privatized insurance. As an example, he showed a doctor with a nice Audi and a close to $1 million dollar house. I'm sure every doctor in London is that rich...