Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2007, 02:10 AM   #16
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
Little or not, it's still faster than the Sti. Considerably more horsepower and torque. Sti would take it in the twisties, but I doubt that's as important to people as straight-line in most cases.

Yep, still has it. I saw him and it a couple of days ago. Didn't really pay much attention though. He has a bike now too, I heard; but, I'm not sure of anything about it.
Yep...you would be surprised though. It also weighs a bit more, and will guzzle gas like a mother****er. To someone who wants all straight line performance or doesnt know how to drive properly, the GTO is the winner. However, looking at the complete package on the STi (power, toyota reliability, factory turbo, all wheel drive, etc...they arent even making the GTO anymore...what a great car it must have been that it got dropped. Also, a 2005 STi can be had cheaper than a 2005 GTO, and I have heard nothing that can reproduce the sound of a Boxer engine.

The vid I was talking about

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5ZliO4rUPvg&feature=related

"the STi will walk on the GTO on anything but a dragstrip"
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

Last edited by newyorker : 11-26-2007 at 02:14 AM.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:01 AM   #17
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
you really struggle with the concept of an Australian car, don't you?

he struggles w/ any concept, windy...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:50 AM   #18
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
he struggles w/ any concept, windy...
Well when the car is a pile of ass I can throw it in the same bunch as the rest of the turds...here is a GTO getting owned by a "slow" civic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lnaFbYxJtk

So many years of technological advancement and they still cant keep up to a little 4 cylinder..for shame

Old 11-26-2007, 03:53 AM   #19
newyorker
MXman

Oh and look...another 4 cylinder beating the pinnacle of american sports cars...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amTlK...eature=related

to the OP, dont buy an american car...20 years ago, sure. Not now however

STi
M3
GTslow

In that order

Old 11-26-2007, 04:08 AM   #20
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
So many years of technological advancement
what does that mean?

Quote:
the pinnacle of american sports cars...
you are very slow in the head at grasping this concept aren't you?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:16 AM   #21
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
really dipshit...what in the world makes you assume that?? also why are you giving him your opinion on an STi when you have never driven one

Assume what? I have driven an M3, I have driven a WRX (and countless other subarus actually), and I am pretty damn sure I don't really need to speak on the performance of the GTO. There are hard numbers out on it. My comments were mainly about looks, following, and potential. My comments imho were pretty spot on. Obviously the GTO has a shit load more potential than the M3. The M3 alternatively is more mature and luxurious with considerably nicer lines. The STI is very quick as well but it is a bit of a hot wheels look which is probably why I have never met anyone over 30 who owns one.

Nobody likes you because your an abrasive uninformed asshole. I think it would do you alot of good to be a bit less dense and stop blindly hating. When it comes down to it the poster just wants a substancial solid answer, not some fanboyism BS. Your logic is flawed. You say I can't assume such things but you yourself have claimed complete bias against the GTO. It is pretty hard to make an educated decision if you are unwilling to view all the options. The OP asked for opinions even from those who haven't driven the cars. So back off dude. Your just going to type "blah blah japanese blah blah vtec blah blah hp/liter" in every thread you post in anyway though so I don't expect an inteligent response.

Last edited by rudypoochris : 11-26-2007 at 04:24 AM.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:58 AM   #22
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Yep...you would be surprised though. It also weighs a bit more, and will guzzle gas like a mother****er. To someone who wants all straight line performance or doesnt know how to drive properly, the GTO is the winner.
2006 GTO:17/25mpg
2005 STi: 18/24mpg

I guess the STi guzzles gas like a motherf*cker as well then

What is this about not knowing how to drive properly? It has nothing to do with anything.

Quote:
However, looking at the complete package on the STi (power, toyota reliability, factory turbo, all wheel drive, etc...they arent even making the GTO anymore...what a great car it must have been that it got dropped. Also, a 2005 STi can be had cheaper than a 2005 GTO, and I have heard nothing that can reproduce the sound of a Boxer engine.
-Whether or not a car is still being made doesn't mean it is a good/bad car. There are plenty of great cars that have been discontuned. The GTO was a plain-jane looking car, and US buyers didn't want that. In what ways was it a bad car? It didn't look great IMHO, but it wasn't ugly. The performance was there, the price was right, handling wasn't bad.

-A new 2006 GTO could (and maybe still can be had) at about 27K.

-Nothing can reproduce the sound of an American musclecar. The door swings both ways.

Quote:
"the STi will walk on the GTO on anything but a dragstrip"
On anything, eh? Seems to me you're trying to bring the STi up by saying "anything" when in reality the only other thing other than a dragstrip is the twisties.

And in reference to your Civics beating GTOs videos I'm sure we're all impressed by a modified car beating a stock (or nearly stock) one.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:58 AM   #23
GGtc4
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
Personally, I have driven none of those cars, but I think any of them could be a world of fun. They all have pros/cons in different areas, so it's just a matter of what aspects of the car appeals to you most. Maybe make a bit of a wish-list for what you want out of the car. (eg: stylish, fast, powerful, loud, re-sale value, roomy, etc etc...) then look at which car satisfies your higher priorities the best.

thats a good idea but i feel they are all stylish and fast and i would love anyone of them as much as the other i think in my real world you no where you need money for shit its probably between the sti and gto
GGtc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:28 AM   #24
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGtc4
thats a good idea but i feel they are all stylish and fast and i would love anyone of them as much as the other i think in my real world you no where you need money for shit its probably between the sti and gto

Comes down to 4 doors vs 2 and which GTO motor the 340 horse or the 400 horse. Also if you plan on modifications or live up in the snow that is a concideration as well.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:40 AM   #25
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Yeah,
Pontiac GTO - Sometimes not the best build quality, but TORQUE.
Subaru STi - AWD = better handling, 4-door = better for carrying friends/family, ample power.
BMW M3 - Powerful, relatively luxurious, status symbol, power, but a huge problem is the high cost of maintenance.

Like I said though chris, if you can afford an M3, you can afford to maintain it.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #26
GGtc4
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudypoochris
Comes down to 4 doors vs 2 and which GTO motor the 340 horse or the 400 horse. Also if you plan on modifications or live up in the snow that is a concideration as well.

the 06 gto is only ls2 400 hp i dont really care about 2 or 4 door either as long as its a 4 seater im happy snow isnt a big issue maybe 15 times a year at most
GGtc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #27
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
the 06 gto is only ls2 400 hp i dont really care about 2 or 4 door either as long as its a 4 seater im happy snow isnt a big issue maybe 15 times a year at most

Personally I would take the GTO if I planned on modifying it for more power or sheading weight. I would take the STI if I just wanted to keep it stock. Either one will be a hell fo alot of fun in the twisties... remember ultmate top speed through the corners is not neccessarily equal to ultimate fun. Unless of course you are talking on the internet and trying to argue moot points. I would go ahead and drive them both, see for yourself.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #28
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
The STi is still the winner in my mind..GTO is

Old 11-26-2007, 10:00 PM   #29
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekWarrior
Like I said though chris, if you can afford an M3, you can afford to maintain it.
Yeah, that's true. With the money you would save by not buying the M, you could by a lot of treats for either of the other cars lol.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:12 PM   #30
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Yeah, that's true. With the money you would save by not buying the M, you could by a lot of treats for either of the other cars lol.
Just another great thing about the STi..guy that detailed my car has an 05 with a JDM Genome exhaust and a tune

stock-254/257
exhaust and tune-300/345

lovely